'Warm blob' of water in Pacific Ocean could hurt salmon

pmel-eoi-logo.png
<map name="Map" id="Map" style="color: rgb(0, 51, 102); font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;"></map>

[h=5]RESEARCH GROUPS[/h]

[h=5]RESEARCH THEMES[/h]

• hydroventing-DSCN4329T-35.jpg
    <boldgrouphead style="font-size: 1.4em; margin: 0.5em 0em; font-weight: bold; color: rgb(82, 117, 170);">Time-series Studies</boldgrouphead>
    Axial Seamount
  • subvolcanism-molten_lava-35.jpg
    <boldgrouphead style="font-size: 1.4em; margin: 0.5em 0em; font-weight: bold; color: rgb(82, 117, 170);">Global Exploration</boldgrouphead>
    Mariana | Lau | Kermadec | Explorer Ring of Fire
  • ecosystems-tubeworms-35.jpg
    <boldgrouphead style="font-size: 1.4em; margin: 0.5em 0em; font-weight: bold; color: rgb(82, 117, 170);">Ocean Acidification </boldgrouphead>
    High CO[SUB]2[/SUB] Natural Laboratories

[h=5]RESEARCH SITES:[/h]
Click map to go to Expeditions.
[h=5]SEARCH[/h]<form accept-charset="UTF-8" action="http://search.usa.gov/search" id="search_form" method="get">
<label for="query">Search EOI:</label> <input autocomplete="off" class="usagov-search-autocomplete" id="query" name="query" type="text"><input name="commit" type="submit" value="Search"></form>

The NOAA/PMEL Vents Program has re-organized into two separate focused programs:
Earth-Ocean Interactions and Acoustics.

[h=2]Earth-Ocean Interactions[/h][h=4]Mission:[/h]Discovering, measuring, understanding, and predicting ecological impacts of natural chemical, biological, and geological processes between the solid Earth and Ocean.

The Earth-Ocean Interactions Program contributes to NOAA’s objective of achieving a holistic understanding of marine ecosystems by exploration and research on hydrothermal vents, their impacts on the global ocean, and their unique chemosynthetic biological communities. This includes ecosystem characterization, resource assessment, environmental observation, and technology development.

[h=3]Recent Highlights:[/h]30 Year History of the Program

A 30-year history of the NOAA Vents program was published in Oceanography. In 1983, a small team of NOAA PMEL scientists, later joined by colleagues at Oregon State University (CIMRS) and the University of Washington (JISAO), exploited new seafloor and water column mapping technologies to understand the impact of hydrothermal systems on ocean chemistry and seafloor ecosystems.
In 2013, the program was restructured into two new programs continuing the Vents legacy while focusing directly on NOAA strategic goals in ocean processes and ecosystems.

Read more

Submarine Ring of Fire 2014-Ironman expedition:

Continued exploration in the western Pacific brought EOI scientists back to the Mariana Arc and Back-arc at the end of 2014. Using ROV Jason and CTD casts, scientists discovered that Daikoku seamount was found to be erupting for the first time, but NW Rota seamount was no longer active. Other highlights included a return to NW Eifuku and its Champagne vent field where a huge community of mussels live in a high-CO[SUB]2[/SUB] environment. All the discoveries can be viewed at the Ocean Explorer SRoF14 cruise website.

Read more
Axial Seamount Eruption Forecast

An eruption is forecast to occur at Axial Seamount by the end of 2015, based on measurements of uplift of the seafloor in the summit caldera since the 2011 eruption. Axial Seamount is the most active submarine volcano in the NE Pacific and the site of the new OOI/RSN cabled observatory. Follow the eruption forecast on our new Axial Blog.

Read more

Visit: News archives

WebmasterDOC / NOAA/ OAR / PMEL / Earth-Ocean Interactions Program
Disclaimer | Privacy PolicySeattle: 7600 Sand Point Way NE, Building 3, Seattle WA 98115-6349
Newport: 2115 SE Oregon State University Dr., Newport OR 97365

Again, having a hard time are you with the term, not caused by global warming. Are you saying that you disagree with NOAA on this?
No OBD - if you reread what I just posted, you will see that I am not having a "hard time" with the journalled article:
It's gotta be door #3 - for sure. No - this particular "blob" is not directly "caused" by climate change any more than our daily weather is. I am guessing you understand the difference between short-term weather verses long-term climate change, OBD. You said you did in past posts.

Maybe try reading your own posts, for a change Now look in the mirror and repeat what you said about "cannot get over the fact".
WOW OBD! Really. Just because the author of the article did not state that this "blob" is directly caused by climate change, you seem to want us to have a problem with it. If you reread what I said above - if should be self-explanatory - even for you.

Hang on...Look this about a mass a warm water that is off the island not oil vs global warming...

The weather is not good for fish..I also find it troubling how anyone would argue that the climate is not changing.. GET OFF COMPUTER AND LOOK OUTSIDE! I could care less if its oil or whatever..If you live here you know something is not right with weather..And its happening worldwide. Don't sit on your computer and pretend that its just a cycle and those polar caps are coming back.

Fact is who knows maybe were doing it maybe were not ...But the change is real..Could care less the data etc. look outside. I think that all of scientific community need to work together and quit pretending that nothing is wrong... I am pretty concerned about water in BC is going to become a big deal for our fish... Can you believe that? Were all worrying about habitat etc and its the warm water and lack of it than is really going to screw us here..Sad really.

The reason is because you and GLG use the term global warming , just because you feel like it.
There was and always be global warming, that does not make it man made global warming.
Sometimes when you dig into the subject it has nothing to do with global warming, it is just weather.
Sometimes it is new science and as noted in this subject is only being looked at.
Science is learning things every day.

No OBD - if you reread what I just posted, you will see that I am not having a "hard time" with the journalled article: WOW OBD! Really. Just because the author of the article did not state that this "blob" is directly caused by climate change, you seem to want us to have a problem with it. If you reread what I said above - if should be self-explanatory - even for you.

Hey OBD, do you think that there is anything at all that humans have done over time that has had any contributing factor at all to affect climate change?
Yes or no please sir?

That is a question you need to ask a climate scientist.
They cannot seem to get a number.

Man has done lots of things to earth that effect it. Just look at the city you live in and the adjustments made to nature to let you live there.
Look at the rivers and creeks that are gone due to man.

Saying that CO2 created by man is responsible for global warming, I do not believe.
The amount of CO2 has risen over the last number of years, yet there has been no global warming for the last 18 years and 4 months?
So, if you do not wonder about that you might.
Further, the scientists have projected all kinds of things would happen and yet none did.
With that record one really needs to question what they are telling you.
Makes you wonder what the government has planned?

Hey OBD, do you think that there is anything at all that humans have done over time that has had any contributing factor at all to affect climate change?
Yes or no please sir?

The reason is because you and GLG use the term global warming , just because you feel like it.
Really?
It's gotta be door #3 - for sure. No - this particular "blob" is not directly "caused" by climate change any more than our daily weather is. I am guessing you understand the difference between short-term weather verses long-term climate change, OBD. You said you did in past posts.

Maybe try reading your own posts, for a change Now look in the mirror and repeat what you said about "cannot get over the fact".
WOW OBD! Really. Just because the author of the article did not state that this "blob" is directly caused by climate change, , you seem to want us to have a problem with it. If you reread what I said above - if should be self-explanatory - even for you.
OBD - if you can't read and critically think - that is your issue - not mine. You could just admit you were wrong.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by GLG

Again you are misrepresenting what this is about. Typical.
You lead with a story about the "blob", fine. It's a mystery and I suspect it will be studied and we will get to the bottom of it using the peer reviewed process. Where data, observation and logic will carry the day. Where you went off the rails was to add the "theory called Plate Climatology" to explain the blob. I pointed out how totally wrong that dumb idea was. Anyone with basic math skills can see right through your explanation and your attempt to point to natural caused climate change. Why is it you are so desperate to hold onto this idea when the rest of the world is moving on. What makes you tick to a different.

Really?
OBD - if you can't read and critically think - that is your issue - not mine. You could just admit you were wrong.

Again you are misrepresenting what this is about. Typical. You lead with a story about the "blob", fine. It's a mystery and I suspect it will be studied and we will get to the bottom of it using the peer reviewed process. Where data, observation and logic will carry the day. Where you went off the rails was to add the "theory called Plate Climatology" to explain the blob. I pointed out how totally wrong that dumb idea was. Anyone with basic math skills can see right through your explanation and your attempt to point to natural caused climate change. Why is it you are so desperate to hold onto this idea when the rest of the world is moving on. What makes you tick to a different.[/I][/COLOR]
Wow! OBD...Go back and re-read the thread:
03-19-2015, 07:54 PM
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/04/150409143041.htm 'Warm blob' in Pacific Ocean linked to weird weather across the US
04-10-2015, 01:49 AM
OBD - this approach of yours is very tiring.
Yesterday, 02:59 PM
OBD - it is difficult to understand if you:
Today, 03:01 PM
I'm starting to believe it is door #3:
Today, 04:08 PM
It's gotta be door #3 - for sure.
Today, 04:58 PM
No OBD - if you reread what I just posted, you will see that I am not having a "hard time" with the journalled article:
Today, 07:02 PM
Where you went off the rails was to add the theory called Plate Climatology to explain the blob
I don't know what thread you are referring to - or even what thread on what planet - but I'm not letting you away with this.

Your posts are truly getting bizarre, OBD.

Your mental health is your ownership, OBD - not mine. I wish you the best of luck with whatever struggles you are having.

I've been keeping an eye on the "blob" event and researching causes. My opinion is that it's a natural event and not caused directly by global warming (which I think is occurring).

In the winter of 2013/2014 there was an unusually strong and long high pressure system that developed offshore in the eastern pacific. This resulted in very reduced cooling over the these waters and warmer temperatures that have persisted as we go through the seasons. The event is still ongoing as long periods of high pressure have continued.

It's similar to El Niño but doesn't quite follow the same pattern and is called the North Pacific Mode. It has affected jet stream patterns that are responsible for the warm dry conditions on the west coast and cold wet conditions out east. It also does not bode well for our fisheries if it continues much longer. It's really hammered northern pacific plankton species which in turn hurt everything up the food chain.

Fingers crossed it begins to dissappate because if it goes into a third year we are going to see some serious consequences ie Cali drought, large short term dieoffs of species etc.

For the record none of my "research" is first hand although I saw plenty of first hand examples and unusual patterns in the offshore waters last year. I am also not a scientist but do have a related degree and have done lots of similar research at UBC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed Kelly, there are a number of potential reasons for the warm water incursion. Not all of them well understood by scientists, and I'm certainly no expert either. Interesting side bar however is the warm water is thought to have pushed a lot of our winter chinooks north up into Alaska and they are now seeing some of the highest CPUE in years. Unfortunately for us that could mean the Alaskan commercial fleet could have a free for all on our WCVI Chinook if left to their own wishes. They took an additional 50,000 WCVI chinooks last year because they mistakenly thought the Chinook abundance was super high, thus allowing a larger fishery. When in fact, the run was basically a whole lot smaller than forecast but looked larger because the warm water pushed our fish north. Not a good situation if the AK guys get their way and one the DFO guys are fighting hard to address.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can start at number 3. Then go to 4.
hope that helps you.

QUOTE=agentaqua;403051]Wow! OBD...Go back and re-read the thread:
03-19-2015, 07:54 PM
04-10-2015, 01:49 AM
Yesterday, 02:59 PM
Today, 03:01 PM
Today, 04:08 PM
Today, 04:58 PM
Today, 07:02 PM

I don't know what thread you are referring to - or even what thread on what planet - but I'm not letting you away with this.

Your posts are truly getting bizarre, OBD.

Your mental health is your ownership, OBD - not mine. I wish you the best of luck with whatever struggles you are having.[/QUOTE]

Agreed Kelly, there are a number of potential reasons for the warm water incursion. Not all of them well understood by scientists, and I'm certainly no expert either. Interesting side bar however is the warm water is thought to have pushed a lot of our winter chinooks north up into Alaska and they are now seeing some of the highest CPUE in years. Unfortunately for us that could mean the Alaskan commercial fleet could have a free for all on our WCVI Chinook if left to their own wishes. They took an additional 50,000 WCVI chinooks last year because they mistakenly thought the Chinook abundance was super high, thus allowing a larger fishery. When in fact, the run was basically a whole lot smaller than forecast but looked larger because the warm water pushed our fish north. Not a good situation if the AK guys get their way and one the DFO guys are fighting hard to address.

Interesting that some of our local salmon might have gone north. I saw the Pollock fishery just had their Chinook by catch allowance reduced.

That is a question you need to ask a climate scientist.
They cannot seem to get a number.

Man has done lots of things to earth that effect it. Just look at the city you live in and the adjustments made to nature to let you live there.
Look at the rivers and creeks that are gone due to man.

Saying that CO2 created by man is responsible for global warming, I do not believe.
The amount of CO2 has risen over the last number of years, yet there has been no global warming for the last 18 years and 4 months?
So, if you do not wonder about that you might.
Further, the scientists have projected all kinds of things would happen and yet none did.
With that record one really needs to question what they are telling you.
Makes you wonder what the government has planned?

Published on Aug 7, 2014
Bill Nye (The Science Guy!) explains that climate change deniers and other anti-scientists are entitled to their opinion. But that doesn't mean they get a seat at the table with the grown-ups. Bill is the CEO of the Planetary Society (http://planetary.org/).

[dkR3TI6xyzU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkR3TI6xyzU

Can we *NOT* make the blob thread into another 278 page endless debate on climate change verses tar-sands extraction - please everyone?

Agreed. It's an interesting, under discussed topic that is having a big impact. Global warming can have its own thread.

The only benefit of the event is that we might species rarely or never seen in our waters becoming more frequent. I was hopeful that it would boost the Albacore fishery or bring them in tighter but that wasn't the case.

Can we *NOT* make the blob thread into another 278 page endless debate on climate change verses tar-sands extraction - please everyone?

How about climate change vs what the majority wants? Accept responsibility people, they aren't producing for the fun of it.

Back