Wanted Marine Electrician

reeltordarius

Looking for a trusted marine electrician or a shop that can be trusted in the Vancouver/Burnaby/Richmond area. I've been doing a bunch of electrical work on my boat recently and have hit a snag that I need assistance with.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

I decided to remove the old switch and add the "Add-a-Battery" combo pack (switch/ACR) from Blue Seas. I also added a new SafetyHub 150.

I followed the diagram to a tee (or at least I was sure I did) and finally had the chance to test it out today. Everything else is powered and working but the engine wouldn't turn over. Voltage meter says I'm @ 12.5 volts, which I thought I was able to start the engine on that voltage in the past. I can hear the clicking from the engine and checked the fuse on the engine as well, which was fine.

I've brought the batteries home to do a full charge but I'm starting to second guess myself on being able to pull it off (I'm no electrician).

What's the voltage read when your turning the motor over ? Also double check your grounds as well. I'm no electrician either but I gutted and rewired my boat from scratch. Usually something simple maybe your batteries are toast get them load tested cdn tire does that free

Almost as though it errors out...drops insanely low and then creeps back up.

Good idea on getting them load tested!

did you try the combined postion?
Yea, tried the combine position as well, nothing! That makes me think I fried my batteries. Question: I had a 50amp fuse on both batteries, first one blew when I had the starter battery connected to that post, but the house didn't. When I looked at the Blue Seas diagram again my wiring wasn't the same as a previous diagram I followed, so I rewired the switch following the new diagram (which suggested the positive wire should be on the house battery) - once everything was switched and I tried to turn the motor over, the other fuse blew - was the 50amp fuse not enough for the load going through it, or is there likely a wrongly connected wire somewhere (or maybe both)?

Yea, tried the combine position as well, nothing! That makes me think I fried my batteries. Question: I had a 50amp fuse on both batteries, first one blew when I had the starter battery connected to that post, but the house didn't. When I looked at the Blue Seas diagram again my wiring wasn't the same as a previous diagram I followed, so I rewired the switch following the new diagram (which suggested the positive wire should be on the house battery) - once everything was switched and I tried to turn the motor over, the other fuse blew - was the 50amp fuse not enough for the load going through it, or is there likely a wrongly connected wire somewhere (or maybe both)?
if your blowing fuses I would say something is wired wrong

there should be no fuse between the batteries and the engine, the fuse is between the battery and the acr relay. where are you located?

Your wiring looks awesome! I wish I had as much space to work with but no such luck. I'm in Van - boat's at Burrard Marina. Here's the diagram I followed...

you can pull all the fuses and the engine should turn over like normal, but will only charge the start battery

One of the wires must be hooked up wrong or backwards if he's blowing fuses wherever he turns his switch too ? Pretty straight forward wiring diagram not much could go wrong imo

You can't fuse a starter cable, a V8 starter draws 150+ amps.

If you followed the diagram posted above, the starter cable doesn't go threw any fuses.

Last edited:
sounds like he is trying to pull power from the house feed, on the back of the switch make sure the engine cable and the starting battery positive cable are are or the terminals marked 2, and your grounds are all bused together, on the terminals marked 1 just hook up the house battery to one of them and leave the other fuse panel feed off and try and start the main

sounds like he is trying to pull power from the house feed, on the back of the switch make sure the engine cable and the starting battery positive cable are are or the terminals marked 2, and your grounds are all bused together, on the terminals marked 1 just hook up the house battery to one of them and leave the other fuse panel feed off and try and start the main
Thanks for this recommendation. I'm taking the batteries to Canadian Tire today for a load test and to make sure I didn't blow them up in the process. Afterwards I'll take them back to the boat and reconnect and try again, using this recommendation. I'll report back later today (hopefully with good news). Although this has been a challenging installation, I still feel WAY better than I'm doing it myself (with the help of folks here of course). Thankfully I brew (good) beer and will be able to repay everyone for their assistance ;).

Thanks for this recommendation. I'm taking the batteries to Canadian Tire today for a load test and to make sure I didn't blow them up in the process. Afterwards I'll take them back to the boat and reconnect and try again, using this recommendation. I'll report back later today (hopefully with good news). Although this has been a challenging installation, I still feel WAY better than I'm doing it myself (with the help of folks here of course). Thankfully I brew (good) beer and will be able to repay everyone for their assistance ;).
Double Check the wiring before you connect your batteries back up

Back