Walk Arounds - what to look for ...and to avoid?

Peahead

Ok , I am looking to purchase a 'new to me' boat in the US. 1998- 2004 ( or later if poss) @ 20-22' . I have a limited budget so can't go crazy so likely this boat will be more like 98-2000 , especially if its a Grady or Bwhaler. I already found three boats that I considered and got close with making a move on two but found out unfavourable info so moved on .... up till now I had looked at mainly Grady White 20-22' Walk Arounds/Cuddy but also looked at a local Proline 22 Cuddy Fish. I realize there are several WA/cuddy manufactures I like, such as :

Grady White ( really like the 208 Adventure but also 22 Seafarer)
Proline WA/cuddy 22
Sea Swirl Striper
Pursuit
Wellcraft 22 WA/ Coastal
Hydra Sports 212 WA
Mako
Boston Whaler Conquest
ROBALO
KEY WEST - lol ....a new discovery !!

Preferably the manufacture shoud be US as no duty on US made boats shipped into Canada.
Hydra Sports and a couple of others seem to do a better job of layout of the fixed seatng behind the two swivel chairs. Grady for example lays them out in such a way that if water comes over the bow it seems to come right down the port and starboard deck onto those seats and the guest sitting on them. Hydra Sports and Wellcraft seem to direct that water out away from those seats. Grady seems to be the only WA that incorporates a toe grab bar at the bottom of the gunnel on aft deck .......and Grady's have metal thu hulls which I prefer......anyway it is stuff like that i am interested in .....what OWNERS of these boats say after years of use. Also hull quality.....I know Grady, Boston Whaler, Proline and Pursuit are pretty good hulls but what about Sea Swirl, Hydra Sport and Wellcraft ?

What W/A would you buy ? Your opinion and experience is very much appreciated ...... I appologise if a thread like this exists already somewhere on this forum

thx
Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
All of those boats are good choices. They will each have pros and cons. The top three on your list in my opinion are BW, Grady and Pursuit. Don't get too selective on the boat manufacturer, instead choose the boat with the newest power, best electronics and is the cleanest.

Good luck and let us know what you get.

I have had a 2101 Striper WA and my current boat is a 2301 Striper Alaskan HT WA. Like the 2301 better myself. Look on Seatriper.com, excellent supoort for all your small problems. Resonable boats, no wood in construction. Like anything they do have their issues. I love my boat and think its excellent value.

When I was looking for a boat I wanted the following:
1) Front deck full height - if you take a greeny for the bow the bulk of the water will run off the boat and not into the boat.
2) Access to the gas tank without having to cut the floor.
3) No wood in the construction.
4) Motor that is big enough for the boat to handle snotty west cost water.
5) Trailer that has enough capacity for a loaded boat (fuel, gas, kicker, coolers, cannon balls, batteries, etc) - most dealers will sell the boat with a minimal trailer capacity.

208 vs 228 is a very different boat. 228 is much bigger (or 226 which is a transom mount engine) that the 208. as is grady white vs proline is like a mercedes vs chrysler, other than their boats theres not much in commmon,

boston whaler and pursuit are the only brands in the same tier as the grady white that you have listed. pursuit is very similar in design and quality, boston whaler is a very different boat.

Love my 2300 Striper

However , it comes with alot of hardware and factory install stuff that is garbage , i replaced alot of it , to long of a list to get into ,pm if ya like...
once done ,shes perfect for me , my friends love it , love the ride , seems to fish decent , comfy for 4 people, large cuddy , actually use the mini stove below ( coffee ) ,
sleeps 2 comfy as well , shopped 3 different boats in my price range , turned out to be a striper ...no regrets ,, other than maybe a couple feet bigger..lol..

gd lk

fd

buy back east , " WAY CHEAPER " flights outta bellingham are cheap , ask ALOT of questions before going there ,have him email you a 1000 good photos of it ( they will , tough times there now ) have a surveyer meet you , a mechanical shop near buy for a check-up , you can always leave a low offer , and now negotiate over the phone after , you dont need to be there for pick-up , take lotsa pictures , cover yourself incase theres damage upon delivery , shipping should be around $3k to the border , ( mine was $2500 - U-Ship ) from Chesapeake bay , SAVE BIG TIME !!

if possible , a dealer may be easier to deal with , perhaps safer , you dont pay tax i believe , i forgot , pretty sure you dont , if ur not from there..

m2b

FD

Last edited by a moderator:
Look for lots of fish capacity and check the location of grab rails-can never have too many grab rails.

I sold my Striper this spring to step into a larger boat that can sleep a family of four. I've owned two of them in the past and as FD says, they are good boats. Generally the wiring and some fittings need attention, but the stringers are all glass (transom is marine plywood however). They are dry and perform well. I've owned both an 1851 and a 2600 Sport Cabin. The Sport Cabin was a really nice boat -- completely dry, roomy enough to sleep 3 men or a family of 4. Full galley and decent cockpit for fishing.

The guy who purchased my old 2600 traded it in for a new Hews aluminum this summer and it's up for sale again at Sherwood. I am told it now has a brand new Bravo III leg: http://www.sherwoodmarine.com/boat/...rt+Cabin-6c6e8ea8404638110197cf78f343094f.htm -- if that is true, it's a very good buy -- I know a ton about this boat and put a great deal of work into it so PM me if you want the scoop on it's condition.

X2 on what has already been said about the Striper's. A good boat for the money for sure. I was in a similar situation looking at pretty much the same boats you are considering. I will add that my 08 has a compostite transom and not marine plywood. Not sure what year they switched but definitely not wood now for what it's worth.......lots of boats to consider out there but there are a ton of things to watch for when buying used......especially from across the border. There are still deals to be had......but not without a lot of homework on your part......as with any used purchase. Good luck!

Keep an ear and eye for robalo... Awesome hulls IMO

x3

SWEET package , $200 + toys

IMG00006-20110212-1531.jpg

IMG00004-20110212-1529.jpg

UNREAL layout , " for me"

one day

fd

I like those Key West boats. I did some research on those unfortunately after I bought my Whaler. They have the same foam filled hulls as BW and are good value.

Thanks everyone for their comments so far -- please keep them coming . I had actually put Robalo on my list but missed adding to my post that started up this thread.

'Key West' boats I know little about but do like their lines and layout - have seen them but not many - Any more on Key West boats would be appreciated although I am sure not many people on here own one. Curious 'Bluewater' , are you by any chance the 'dealer' selling those two Key West boats with the links - the reason I ask is that your handle name being 'bluewater' ( which is a model of Key West boat ) and your 1 post, just thought you may be the seller. I notice the phone numbers for both boats are the same.
Here is a really nice 23' 2008 Key West 'bluewater' that looks fantastic but way out of my price range !
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2008/Key-West-2300-Bluewater-2319155/Charleston/SC/United-States

Hey Peahead.........I looked at a couple of Key Wests in California a few years ago. They were in good shape but had 2 strokes on them with no hour meters so I bailed out. Fit and finish was OK.....no better or worse than any boat in its class IMO. There is a place in California that seems to grab a few from the East coast each season and details them up and sells them. They were willing to ship to the border for about $1500 and to Salem Oregon for about $1000 if memeory serves me? They always seem to have a few interesting rigs for sale but some of them are definitely refitted storm boats from the Eastern States. Its a little closer to go for a trip as well. Here is the place.....and no I don't work there! lol

www.inlandautoandboat.com

Back