VRO ,(variable ratio oiler,) Delete on 93 Johnson 70

jeffywestcoast

Well after another lengthy battle with my ignition system and oil/fuelpump my 70 is running great, a used stator was installed n found to be faulty so i bit the bullet and bought a brand new one,mechanic installed it and it too was faulty right out of the box from BRP... 365$ piece of crap ... At this point i have changed fuelpump to non vro, stator,timerbase,powerpak ,rectifier,... I had all but given up on this old two stroke after buying a brand new stator that was shot right outta the box... Fortunately my mechanic wouldnt take no for an answer from this johnson ,( heart of a gunfighter) he also rebuilt all three carburators .. Im completely done with the old 2 strokes and wont buy another ... Fifth times a charm really[emoji12]
a368f616649d49656d9a5f5b5cad9a73.jpg
b10c88f289d2ef0ac9b05fac074cbdb9.jpg
a lovely stator shot right outta the box....
b99d8b299788ef4784d3c077777b5bf6.jpg
and here is the VRO pump that blew, at 399,99! For the replacement pump i will have no trouble mixing my own gas five gallons at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weird you having so many problems ( I wonder if you have a motor that sat around a lot) I would have disabled that oiler thing they are useless. I dont know your engine history but the two strokes I had if they get used all the time year round, and you do maintenance they last forever. I mixed my own gas, and always used the envinrude oil . I had a 1986 VRO and that was best motor ever had..Minimal work.. But I did have some things go but you just replace them... Its the same with 4 strokes inboard or outboards the salt water breaks things! BTW I still have this manual for you...

Virtually the whole ignition system has been replaced.. Apparently when the stator goes it is not uncommon for it to take out the CDI...not afraid of changing out ignition parts if they fail but , installing a brand new one and have it be a dud was a little much...

Guess i can change this thread tittle to johnson 70 delete cause this afternoon she blew... [emoji17][emoji16]

Holy crap man!After all that.Sorry you had to go through all that,Jeffy.Would have been better if it just grenaded on
ya before all time,money and effort you put into it.Don't let it discourage you.That's a fine fishing machine you have there.Just needs something newer with low hours and well maintained.Maybe a camp return? I know they're a lot of money,but at least you'd have something reliable and also some warranty left on it just in case of any surprises.Just a thought man.Good luck to you in any decision you make.

I think a conrod on the famed number 3 cylinder...yup she's pooched, i shut it off after i herd the knockin and came in on the kicker ..

Holy crap man!After all that.Sorry you had to go through all that,Jeffy.Would have been better if it just grenaded on
ya before all time,money and effort you put into it.Don't let it discourage you.That's a fine fishing machine you have there.Just needs something newer with low hours and well maintained.Maybe a camp return? I know they're a lot of money,but at least you'd have something reliable and also some warranty left on it just in case of any surprises.Just a thought man.Good luck to you in any decision you make.

Ya i hear ya, it all boils down to money,and im fresh out...12 k later and im sitting with a blown up outboard...i cant afford another outboard...someone want an excellent deal shoot me a pm cause im out of options...

Hey Jeff what comes with the boat and how much you looking to get ?

Jeff that sucks buddy ive been there.... but maybe you pick this up for cheap and swap over all your known good parts onto it??

http://classifieds.castanet.net/details/70hp_johnson_motor_controls/2407904/

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/bpo/5217382555.html

This approach would be the most cost effective way to get the boat mobile again. There are lots of these OMC outboards around for cheap. Selling a boat with a dead motor would not be easy and you would only get minimal $$. When I blew up one of these years ago I rebuilt it for about $1300 including new pistons, bored out etc. So that is another option worth thinking about.

I am not a mechanic, but I've read and heard many times that Yamaha made a simpler and more reliable oil injection system on older 2 strokes (say's I touching wood...) than Johnson/Evenrude/OMC.

http://nanaimo.craigslist.ca/bpo/5223154278.html

Maybe worth a look??

Those engines are really reliable. Most pangas down in mexico have them hanging off the back.

Sorry about your woes Jeff. Sit it out a bit and get over the bitterness of the blown motor. Where there's a will there's a way buddy:).

No worries guys , i had planned to sell the boat at the end of the season complete , my mechanic is going to tear the head off this afternoon so we can have a look.. Go from there i guess.

those 90HP Yami 2 strokes are GREAT engines, light and powerful and durable - and that one is cheap too!

Broke a ring...very common with 2 strokes. I now believe with my 2 strokes I will be pulling the pistons before the 5th season (which is always the one I have had rings break) and clean any carbon build up in the ring grooves on the pistons. As the carbon builds up the rings are forced further apart and eventually catch the edge of a port and snap them. If the engine is still standard bore and the crank journals are in good shape you can rebuild that 3 cylinder really cheap and then know what you have. If you are low on funds...that is the route I would go. If you are real low on funds you could even just re-bore the bottom hole and stick a new piston and rings and rod bearings into it. You likely need to replace the head as well as it will be marked up just like the top of the piston.

Back