Voting

twinwinds

With the upcoming election i was just a little curious to see who you will most likely vote for or at least hear your opinion?
Is it just basically picking the lesser evil? Liberal/NDP/green party?
I have never voted before so this year will be my first time.
Who is more likely protect our resources?
appreciate your input.

Cheers:D

This ones gonna get crazy

If resources are your main concern, vote for whoever you think has the best chance of knocking out the libs, which would be NDP is most or all cases.

If you set aside that tactic, the Green party would most likely offer the most resource protection, followed by the NDP then the libs.

Just a couple things the libs have done this term that does not protect our resources:

-They are in the process of amending the Navigable Waters Protection Act, which basically means there will be more development on waterways with the removal or reduction of environmental assessments etc.

-Fish farms - I won't go any further into that one

-Run of River Projects - They are allowing hundreds of small dams to be put in across the province, with minimal environmental assessments and no cumulative environmental assessments - what this means is that they do not look at the effects of multiple dams - they just look at one and say "that's not too much damage" and the same for the next but they do not add them together to get the big picture. I know it seems like common sense to look at them together but that's not what they do. There are 17 in the Bute.

I do not know all the other platforms so I cannot say exactly what other parties would do differently - except that the NDP has said they will put a moratorium on the RoR projects and I think fish farms as well. I am not sure what the green party would do but I would wager all of the above would stop.

Anyways, hope that helps a bit.

This ones gonna get crazy

If resources are your main concern, vote for whoever you think has the best chance of knocking out the libs, which would be NDP is most or all cases.

If you set aside that tactic, the Green party would most likely offer the most resource protection, followed by the NDP then the libs.

Just a couple things the libs have done this term that does not protect our resources:

-They are in the process of amending the Navigable Waters Protection Act, which basically means there will be more development on waterways with the removal or reduction of environmental assessments etc.

-Fish farms - I won't go any further into that one

-Run of River Projects - They are allowing hundreds of small dams to be put in across the province, with minimal environmental assessments and no cumulative environmental assessments - what this means is that they do not look at the effects of multiple dams - they just look at one and say "that's not too much damage" and the same for the next but they do not add them together to get the big picture. I know it seems like common sense to look at them together but that's not what they do. There are 17 in the Bute.

I do not know all the other platforms so I cannot say exactly what other parties would do differently - except that the NDP has said they will put a moratorium on the RoR projects and I think fish farms as well. I am not sure what the green party would do but I would wager all of the above would stop.

Anyways, hope that helps a bit.

you're right Dudd's, this one will get crazy...
however, think back 8 long years ago when Glen Clark ran the province[xx(]
there was more debacles in that Gov't than i care to remember.
How about the fast ferries and their impact on the coast?

remember they are politician's, you will hear all kinds of promises
prior to election, then they just do whatever they want once elected.

Green party might be a good bet, but in reality you are just pulling a vote away from the NDP& LIB'S
I doubt they could actually form a Gov't
JMHO :)

you're right Dudd's, this one will get crazy...
however, think back 8 long years ago when Glen Clark ran the province[xx(]
there was more debacles in that Gov't than i care to remember.
How about the fast ferries and their impact on the coast?

remember they are politician's, you will hear all kinds of promises
prior to election, then they just do whatever they want once elected.

Green party might be a good bet, but in reality you are just pulling a vote away from the NDP& LIB'S
I doubt they could actually form a Gov't
JMHO :)

Hey its our responsibility to vote these idiots in. try voting yes in favor of the new system being brought forward in the election it will give us all a better representation of what is needed and what we the voter want. Do not forget that the conference center in Vancouver is costing us tax payers more than the fast ferries ever did its dejavu all over again. I would not **** on any one of them if they were on fire. That is my rant for the day.

Definitely picking the lesser of two evils. But have to go with the Libs on this one. After reading a bit into James' platform, it is abundantly clear this greenpeace loonie is farther left than Clark was...and you thought those were bad times!!

Can you imagine this woman running our province? It's extremely scary to think about. Whether you like or dislike Campbell, there is no denying he is the lesser of the two evils. And green party? Come on...[B)]

www.serengetifishingcharters.com

http://www.youtube.com/user/canucksfanatic44

Thanks for the input guys. Some good points here.
Still undecided but i am thinking Green party a wasted vote!
I would appreciate any other input some of you guys have out there.

cheers
Dazed and confused..........:D

hey quicksilver I don't like the stv (single transferable vote) because the way I understand it that, your not voting for the party and they decide who the MLA's are not the person you voted for. I like the first past the post. anyway you look at it we have an elected dictatorship for 4 years anyway. Its better to deal with the devil you know than the devil you don't.

Who is more likely to protect our resources?

Let's look at the last eight years. The Liberals have managed to;

Sell off BC Rail when Gordo promised he wouldn't. Now we pay legal fees with taxpayer dollars to prosecute the shysters who were working for government at the time.

Shut down the Fisheries Renewal Program and any support for wild salmon recovery and habitat restoration, then sat back while fish stocks continue their decline.

Lifted the previous moratorium on salmon farm expansion then denied all the science about the impacts and increased sea lice from said salmon farms that has been published in the last eight years along with refusing to respond to any of the reports or recommendations from two Committees of the Legislature and one government sponsored Pacific Salmon Forum until the Morton court decision took it out of their hands and now let them off the hook at election time. Now they claim this is all a Federal responsibility.

Create stump-to-dump contracting in the forest industry so that corporations could maximize profits by playing off citizens against each other for said contracts and then sat back as "spectators" as most logs are now exported raw, pulp mill are closing due to lack of fiber (sawdust and wood chips from shuttered sawmills), blueberry farmers and stable owners stand in line for sawdust from mills running below capacity. Oh, but now they are promising to help us develop new and creative ways to make money from our wood waste!

Selling off the rights to our water to private companies who are promising to generate electricity to sell back to us and others. Oops, sorry, they aren't selling the rights, they're just renting them for 40 years.

Streamline the environmental review process so more mining claims, pipelines from the Tar Sands to the Coast and oil tankers to haul it away, can all be expedited. (I wonder if they will charge a Carbon Tax on that Tar Sands oil as it gets exported?)

That's how the Liberals have protected our resources in the last eight years. I'm sure there are other examples.
If we re-elect these guys, why would we expect anything different? If you as a citizen agree with all of the above, then they are the choice for you.

quote:Originally posted by cuttlefish

Who is more likely to protect our resources?

Let's look at the last eight years. The Liberals have managed to;

Sell off BC Rail when Gordo promised he wouldn't. Now we pay legal fees with taxpayer dollars to prosecute the shysters who were working for government at the time.

Shut down the Fisheries Renewal Program and any support for wild salmon recovery and habitat restoration, then sat back while fish stocks continue their decline.

Lifted the previous moratorium on salmon farm expansion then denied all the science about the impacts and increased sea lice from said salmon farms that has been published in the last eight years along with refusing to respond to any of the reports or recommendations from two Committees of the Legislature and one government sponsored Pacific Salmon Forum until the Morton court decision took it out of their hands and now let them off the hook at election time. Now they claim this is all a Federal responsibility.

Create stump-to-dump contracting in the forest industry so that corporations could maximize profits by playing off citizens against each other for said contracts and then sat back as "spectators" as most logs are now exported raw, pulp mill are closing due to lack of fiber (sawdust and wood chips from shuttered sawmills), blueberry farmers and stable owners stand in line for sawdust from mills running below capacity. Oh, but now they are promising to help us develop new and creative ways to make money from our wood waste!

Selling off the rights to our water to private companies who are promising to generate electricity to sell back to us and others. Oops, sorry, they aren't selling the rights, they're just renting them for 40 years.

Streamline the environmental review process so more mining claims, pipelines from the Tar Sands to the Coast and oil tankers to haul it away, can all be expedited. (I wonder if they will charge a Carbon Tax on that Tar Sands oil as it gets exported?)

That's how the Liberals have protected our resources in the last eight years. I'm sure there are other examples.
If we re-elect these guys, why would we expect anything different? If you as a citizen agree with all of the above, then they are the choice for you.

great post cuttlefish

Here is some info on only 1 of the underhanded and damaging decisions (others include fish farms, BC Rail, etc. as cuttlefish pointed-out) of the BC Liberal party - re: BC Hydro - for the more business-minded pro-liberals in the province whose purse strings and liberal ribbons appear to sing louder than their heartstrings:

1/ From 1994 to 2008, our public utility (i.e. crown corp), BC Hydro, has contributed an enormous $9.5 billion to the province. This amount of revenue generated and subsequently used for programs and offsetting debt IS AT RISK now, due to the changes imposed by the BC Liberals as described below.

2/ British Columbia has enjoyed the 3rd lowest electricity rates in North America for years thanks to public power—assets that are publicly owned and paid for, with cost benefits passed onto consumers. This is due to the fact that the utilities are publicly-owned, and once the capital investment is paid-off (anyone starting a business knows this); the remaining income from power generation is debt-free.

This will NOT happen with power-generating facilities owned by private interests as in the so-called "public-private partnerships" promoted by the BC Liberals.

3/ The BC Liberal government has prohibited BC Hydro from constructing any new public power generation projects. Only improvements to existing BC Hydro dams are permissible. The one potential BC Hydro project under consideration is Site C on the Peace River. This contentious project is presently being examined in a five year feasibility review; and even if approved, there are no guarantees of public ownership.

What this means is that we the taxpayers and hydro rate payers will end-up being renters, rather than owners of our own resources and will pay $$$ for that privilege of use of our resourses.

4/ BC Hydro is already paying more for the 10% of electricity produced by private energy companies than the 90% generated through public power facilities. The per megawatt price of private power electricity is approximately 15 times the cost of existing public power.

Our rates will go-up accordingly, up between 2 to 15 times over the next 40 years. In addition, the interest generated by removing this amount of BILLIONS of $$$ from the public coffers will be lost.

5/ Effective October 1st 2008, the BC Liberal government introduced 2-tier BC Hydro rates that will further increase costs to households where more electricity is consumed—increases of up to 60% over three years, according to the Joint Industry Electricity Steering Committee. Basing such increases on household consumption penalizes larger families and northern communities electricity consumption is higher due to harsh winter climates.

6/ BC Hydro has already entered into long-term Energy Purchase Agreements (EPAs)—some for up to 40 years on specific projects—totaling a whopping $28.4 billion. Additional contracts continue to be negotiated while the specific terms and conditions of the EPAs are kept private.

But whatever the actual costs of these contracts are - we will pay for this power generated by the IPP's - whether we need it or not - and at rates of between 2-15 TIMES that of the market rate. We will pay BILIIONS OF $$$ over the next 40 years.

7/ The BC Liberal government claims that the province desperately needs more power. But that’s misleading because BC Hydro uses its vast supply of reliable hydroelectric power to buy electricity elsewhere when prices are low and sell BC power to other jurisdictions when prices are high, making substantial profits for the province— $1.4 billion in 2007! In fact, over the past decade, some years BC is a net exporter of electricity and other years a net importer.

8/ The BC Liberal government also claims that private power producers will help BC achieve energy self-sufficiency by 2016. This statement is also misleading. Run-of-river power produces in the spring, when BC Hydro’s reservoirs are full, supply is high, and electricity needs of British Columbians are declining. More likely, this power is intended for export to the US—like California—when electricity consumption increases with air conditioning and other cooling system requirements.

9/ The real reason Campbell's Liberals made these changes is to reap over $560,000 in campaign contributions from the multi-national IPP consortiums - thereby costing us BILLIONS of $$$ in future power generating revenues that will come-out of our pocketbooks.

Campbell's Liberal government is NO FRIEND of small business, since they too have to pay these power rates to run their businesses; but rather friends of multi-national corporate interests whose plan is to steal our resources and sell our rights back to us.

10/ at the end of the 40 year contract, these multi-national corporate interests own the water rights to our rivers, and the scale of this development is huge.

All of these decisions were made - not by the NDP - but by the supposedly more "fiscally-responsible" Liberals. Sorry, my liberal pundits - that mantra that the NDP can't govern (whether you like James or not) - is a big pile of bunk - just like how the Republican's in the US lie to themselves about the poor fiscal history of Republican administrations.

Besides the costs of partitioning-off BC Hydro and the promotion of IPPs and 40-year BC Hydro contracts; other financial comparisons between the NDP and the BC Liberal government include:

a/ Under the NDP government (1991-2001), average annual economic growth was 2.8% with 34,100 new jobs created: under the Campbell Liberal government (2001-2009) growth was only 2.6%, with only 323,700 new jobs created.
b/ The Liberals inherited a 2000-2001 $1.5 BILLION annual surplus from the NDP in 2001, and turned it into a $34-40 BILLION debt (for most years, but 2008 is listed as a $1.1 Billion surplus).

For the record - I have no political affiliation except for our future generations. The NDP have made past blunders, too. However, the NDP constructed Fisheries Renewal BC; while the BC Liberals dismantled it as a long-term strategy so nobody would be watching the rivers when they wanted to give them away.

The choices for this provincial election are clear to me. Look into the BC Hydro/run-of-the-river debacle, fish farms, and pipelines - and it should become clear to you, too.

some links:

www.citizensforpublicpower.ca
http://www.ippwatch.info/w/

HOW ANYONE WHO HAS EVER WET A LINE AND CARES ENOUGH TO PROTECT HIS CHILDREN'S RIGHT TO DO THE SAME COULD EVEN THINK ABOUT RE-ELECTING CAMPBELL, REMAINS A MYSTERY TO ME.

I think if the liberals get in again our fishery on the west coast is done.campbell will destroy that resorce for the allmighty buck.[xx(]

What did the NDP do during the last reign of terror to protect the environment? or fish stocks?

NADA!

Reasons why I won't be voting Liberal:
1) Created and implemented legislation that violated the Constitution of this country. Twice.
2) One in four children in this province live in Poverty.
3)Over 300,000 citizens of BC struggle to live on a minimum wage that is BELOW the poverty line. 8 bucks sucks.
4) Fish Farms
5) Run of River Power Projects
6) Destroyed Health care in this Province.
7) Continues to under fund Education and qaulity has decreased.
8) Sale of BC Rail
9) Built new Ferries in Germany and did not invest in our ship yards.
10)Destroyed WCB- reduced the number of inspectors and amount of benefits resulting in increased injury and death at work.
11) Lied about long term care beds, the cost of the Vancouver Convention Center, Sale of BC Rail.
12)Gordon Campbell is a convicted Drunk Driver.
13)Continues to export raw logs AND Jobs.
14) Done nothing to address the loss of tens of thousands of Jobs in forestry.
15) Sold off this province and allows forestry companies to sell of our province for real estate.
16) Allows Forestry companies to prevent access to back country by locking gates etc.
17)Promised open and accountable government and did the opposite.
18) Gordo gave himself a 54% raise while refusing to increase the minimum wage.
[V]
C'mom guys there is more reasons not to support the Liberal's lets here them!

quote:Originally posted by island idiots

Reasons why I won't be voting Liberal:
1) Created and implemented legislation that violated the Constitution of this country. Twice.
2) One in four children in this province live in Poverty.
3)Over 300,000 citizens of BC struggle to live on a minimum wage that is BELOW the poverty line. 8 bucks sucks.
4) Fish Farms
5) Run of River Power Projects
6) Destroyed Health care in this Province.
7) Continues to under fund Education and qaulity has decreased.
8) Sale of BC Rail
9) Built new Ferries in Germany and did not invest in our ship yards.
10)Destroyed WCB- reduced the number of inspectors and amount of benefits resulting in increased injury and death at work.
11) Lied about long term care beds, the cost of the Vancouver Convention Center, Sale of BC Rail.
12)Gordon Campbell is a convicted Drunk Driver.
13)Continues to export raw logs AND Jobs.
14) Done nothing to address the loss of tens of thousands of Jobs in forestry.
15) Sold off this province and allows forestry companies to sell of our province for real estate.
16) Allows Forestry companies to prevent access to back country by locking gates etc.
17)Promised open and accountable government and did the opposite.
18) Gordo gave himself a 54% raise while refusing to increase the minimum wage.
[V]
C'mom guys there is more reasons not to support the Liberal's lets here them!

As to number 3...it is clear you have never taken any economics courses or have little understanding of the issue. The higher minimum wage the more deadweight loss. It is horrible for small businesses, the engine that runs BC's economy. The biggest joke in the world is the NDP's promise to raise to $10. This would DESTROY the economy. It boggles my mind that they would even suggest it and CLEARLY shows that they have NO understanding of the economy.

#6, explain...

#13, the thing that no one seems to get about this is that the vast majority of the exported raw logs are from private land, and despite what Carole James would like anyone to believe, they will not be able to stop this. She likes to lie about it though...what else is she lying about?

#18, see #3 information.

www.serengetifishingcharters.com

http://www.youtube.com/user/canucksfanatic44

I am pro STV. Simply put it will take the power away from the "big two" parties and enable greens etc to get a foothold. My way of thinking is minority governments have about all the power I want to give politicians. That is the one thing we can do for our kids.

Serengeti;

With all due respect to you, my fellow sportfisherman, if you successfully defended Campbell on all Jerry's points (and I'm damn certain you couldn't) leaving only #4 & #5, these issues are more than plenty reason for me to see the Liberal's go down.

DUDE, SOME THINGS ARE FAR MORE IMPORTANT THAN ECONOMICS!

My 2-bits.

on the subject of building ferries in germany then how come all you bc economy boosters have american built boats not all double eagles, that are build in bc and supports the economy. or when the dollar was low bought ones across the line. better value for the buck these ferries were built on time,and on budget, remembered when the NDP tried building here in bc 400 million overrun that would have bought a lot of MRI machines. As for minimum wages at my place ( which is a farm) thats how we keep the cost potatoes down for you consumers. If it wasn't for that then how would we compete. paying people to pick and weed at 12 bucks when sometimes during the season we have 80-100 workers at one time do the math of what that cost per day difference and even times that by two months that's a lot of $$$$. If the NDP are so green then why does david suzuki not support the NDP anymore and now supports the Liberals

Hey Serengiti,

Minimum Wage -- Fast Facts
The B.C. Federation of Labour says it’s time to increase the minimum wage to give BC’s lowest
paid workers a raise.
The minimum wage in BC was last increased to $8 in November, 2001. In 2002, the provincial
government rolled back the minimum for new workers through the $6 training wage.
With the support of a number of other groups, the Federation has launched the $10 NOW
Campaign.
To ensure that no worker in BC lives below the poverty line, we’re calling for a three-step
increase in the minimum wage:
1. an immediate increase to $10 combined with the elimination of the $6 training wage;
2. a subsequent increase to $11 per hour one year later; and
3. an indexing formula, so that like our provincial politicians, those earning the minimum can be
assured of an annual increase in pay.
115,000 British Columbians earn the $8 minimum rate. Another 135,000 earn less than $10 per
hour. Across Canada, a significant majority, 63 percent, of minimum wage earners are women.[/</u>b]The Campbell government’s own statistics show that low-paid jobs are actually on the increase
in both sheer numbers and as a percentage of the overall provincial workforce.
Our polling shows that nearly 80 percent of British Columbians support an increase to $10
NOW.
A number of Municipal Councils (14 at last count) have supported the call for $10 NOW. Six BC
newspapers have lent editorial support for a $10 per hour rate.
It’s expensive to live in BC—we have some of the highest prices anywhere for housing, food,
transportation and tuition fees. In fact, when you take living costs into account, we actually have
the second lowest minimum wage level in the country.
The $10 figure will allow single full-time workers to just barely climb above the poverty line set
by Statistics Canada.
</u> The $11 rate will raise the income of a single earner family of two above
the low-income cutoff.
SH/smo - COPE 15
1000-07rep-SH Minimum wage campaign fast facts.doc
12/04/2007
\
As for #6- </u>
The Supreme Court of Canada has ruled that sections of Bill 29, the Health and Social
Services Delivery Improvement Act, violate the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
In a groundbreaking ruling extending the freedom of association provision of the Charter
to include the right to free collective bargaining, the Court struck down key sections of the
2002 law that restricted and gutted the bargaining rights of health care workers.
It’s a decision that has widespread implications for unions across the country.
The Supreme Court has given the B.C. Liberal government one year to bring the
legislation into compliance with the Charter, but Hospital Employees’ Union secretarybusiness
manager Judy Darcy says the crisis created by Bill 29 in health care should not
be allowed to continue one day longer.
“[b]The verdict has been in on Bill 29 for the last five years – it’s a bad law that’s wreaked
havoc in health care</u>,”
says Darcy. “Now the highest court in the land has declared that
this law violates the constitutionally-protected charter rights of our members.
“Hundreds of workers are currently facing termination in long-term care facilities as a
result of this legislation,” says Darcy. “In the interests of the continuity of care for seniors
and fairness to workers we’re demanding the government declare an immediate
moratorium on these layoffs.”
Bill 29 eliminated collective agreement provisions for health care workers and paved the
way for massive job losses and privatization</u>
The controversial and unprecedented law excludes health and community social services
workers from labour laws that protect other workers in the province. And it eliminated
collective agreement provisions that safeguarded workers and services from privatization.
BC Nurses’ Union president Debra McPherson says today’s Supreme Court decision
“restores important collective bargaining rights to health care workers regarding
protection against layoffs and contracting out.
“Governments can no longer unilaterally rip up collective agreements in order to promote
a privatization agenda that cuts services to the public and erodes employees’ living
standards. And for the first time it recognizes that collective bargaining is a right of all
Canadians protected by the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.”
B.C. Government and Service Employees` Union president George Heyman says free
collective bargaining has been critical to the protection of health care and decent jobs.
“Workers have fought for free collective bargaining for decades,” said Heyman. “This
decision confirms that right is encompassed and protected by the Canadian Charter of
Rights and Freedoms and cannot be arbitrarily trampled on at the whim of government.”
OR how about this:
VIHA’s cleaning contractor fails second
round of WCB health and safety inspections
</u>
WorkSafeBC (WCB) has re-issued five orders against Compass Group, after follow-up inspections at
Nanaimo Regional General Hospital (NRGH) revealed the British corporation failed to comply with
earlier citations.
According to the WCB report, Compass continues to perform incomplete accident investigations,
has failed to offer necessary health and safety training, and is not providing adequate personal
protective equipment for workers exposed to corrosive cleaning chemicals or other hazards.
HEU secretary-business manager Judy Darcy says these latest citations present irrefutable
evidence that the health authority needs to take active responsibility for their contractor’s health
and safety record.
How many more times will Compass be reprimanded before VIHA steps in to protect health care
workers and patients?”
</u> says Darcy. “This latest round of orders makes it clear that VIHA cannot
absolve itself of responsibility to operate safe, clean hospitals for patients, visitors and workers.
In an era of superbugs, these poor health and safety practices put everyone who uses our hospitals
at risk.”
</u>The WCB orders were issued on April 8 for violations at NRGH. The findings include:
#56256;#56441; Failure to provide health and safety training to members of the occupational health and
safety committee, as well as at least one manager who had been in the position for close to
a year.
#56256;#56441; Failure to include worker representatives in accident investigations. The inspector also
noted in one case that the manager did not investigate the cause of a chemical accident.
#56256;#56441; Failure to provide appropriate protective equipment such as respirators, goggles, chemical
gloves and boots, and/or failure to ensure that this equipment is correctly used, cleaned,
inspected, maintained and repaired.
#56256;#56441; Failure to ensure that portable eyewash stations are available on cleaning carts in an
environment where housekeepers regularly use high-risk corrosive chemicals.
#56256;#56441; Failure to investigate ongoing concerns related to the safe use of Virox 5 and other
cleaning chemicals, including the effectiveness of personal protective equipment and
appropriate ventilation.
WCB had issued 16 separate orders against VIHA’s contractor over six months in 2008, for
contravening health and safety laws.
Now as for #18:</u>
A public opinion poll shows Metro Vancouver residents overwhelmingly support an increase to the provincial minimum wage.

The poll, conducted by McAllister Opinion Research, found that 77 percent of Metro Vancouver residents support a $10 minimum wage, with 54 percent strongly in favour of the increase.

This afternoon, Vancouver City Council’s Standing Committee on Planning and the Environment will consider a motion put forward by Councillor Geoff Meggs to: endorse an increase to the minimum wage to $10 per hour, eliminate the $6 per hour training wage and index the minimum wage to inflation. Similar resolutions have already been passed by more than 30 municipal councils all across the province, as well as the Union of BC Municipalities.

Provincially, the polling found a $10 per hour minimum wage is supported by 78 percent of British Columbians, with 55 percent strongly in favour. Support for the increase is high regardless of age (77-78 percent), education (75-85 percent) and household income (71-82 percent).

“These results show British Columbians overwhelming support a $10 minimum wage regardless of where they live, their age, income or education,” said B.C. Federation of Labour President, Jim Sinclair. “It’s hard to understand why Premier Campbell remains determined to keep the minimum wage frozen when public support for the increase is so strong and broad based.”

BC’s minimum wage was the highest in Canada when Gordon Campbell was first elected Premier in 2001. Frozen for eight years, it is now tied for lowest in the country with New Brunswick and PEI, both of which have planned increases for later this year. Because of the high cost of living, BC has long had the lowest minimum wage in terms of buying power. Approximately 293,000 workers in BC earn $10 per hour or less. In 2007, Gordon Campbell voted himself a 54 percent pay raise which took his annual salary to $186,000.</u> </u>
The telephone poll interviewed a random sample of 1,207 British Columbians, including 507 Metro Vancouver residents, from March 30 to April 9, 2009. The weighted sample has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.9 percent, 19 times out of 20.
I rest my case. You decide who should run this province. I. I.

Back