Viruses in present bc salmon farms

Lol! Glad you're still curious bones. You know there is no proof and it is indeed a belief. People need a scapegoat and salmon farms fit the bill for many.
Keep asking questions and you will notice a trend to deny overfishing by user groups; commercials, FN, and yes, even the sporties on this forum. Climate change and it's impacts are starting to get some traction but it's still salmon farming that is easiest to blame.
Can't wait for some real science to answer these questions but in the mean time we get to rant on forums like this.

"real" science. Figured that'd be the industry standard response...business as usual

looks to be pretty comprehensive scientific evidence that salmon farms cause greater than minimal risk of serious harm.

looks to be pretty comprehensive scientific evidence that salmon farms cause greater than minimal risk of serious harm.
religion is oblivious to science, bigdoeh. No matter the evidence - the denial machine provides comfort to the converted. I am too old now to be surprised when institutionalized DFO employees side with the script writers employed by the BCSFA. Typical and.. sad.

It isn't in their interest to come clean.
The wild salmon are just a nuisance to the salmon farmers and to the corporately run DFO. eliminate the wild salmon and then all we'll have to choose from at the grocery store is the diseased, virus ridden, pesticide poisoned, toxin ridden, antibiotic laced, open net pen farmed salmon. The corporate 1% can then make greater profits when the wild salmon become so scarce and become so overpriced because of their scarcity, that no one except the 1% can afford them (because they wouldn't eat farmed salmon... ewww, gross) and we the taxpayer can pay for the cleanup and any major disease outbreaks or large disease caused die-offs in these farms like we always do...
we've got the fox guarding the henhouse now.
better catch them and enjoy them while you still can,
yes, like you mentioned AA, business as usual...

I really don't think they give a rat's @ss about wild salmon...

Last edited:
I think the reply demonstrates at least the Aquaculture Branch of DFO's myopic, paternalistic, defensive, and unprofessional view. The real reason this regulator should not be in charge of both promoting and regulating the industry. Kinda like expecting a cop to charge his buddy for speeding.

DFO is seriously broken. Like - unfortunately many federal agencies. Broken from the top down. Here's the latest admission on that reality. You could easily substitute DFO for RCMP on many of the statements - although this one is specifically dealing with gender bias and harassment, discrimination and sexual abuse while on the job: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/rcmp-harassment-1.3795399

"I think they are talking about changing a culture and I don't know if that can be changed. I think the [DFO] has gotten too big to be managed. I don't believe the [DFO] in its current state can be fixed."

The department that is currently now called "DFO" (or more accurately Fisheries and Oceans Canada) has only been stuck in it's current dysfunction since 1979 or so - since the Fisheries Research Board of Canada was disbanded. There was a reason for that disbandment - and we don't have to think we are stuck with the current model of fisheries mismanagement and aquaculture promotion. More history of the Fisheries Research Board of Canada and DFO at:
http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...-room-1900-sfu-harbour-ctr.55032/#post-684407
and
http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...g-criteria-politics.37507/page-10#post-453142

I think the reply demonstrates at least the Aquaculture Branch of DFO's myopic, paternalistic, defensive, and unprofessional view. The real reason this regulator should not be in charge of both promoting and regulating the industry. Kinda like expecting a cop to charge his buddy for speeding.

DFO is seriously broken. Like - unfortunately many federal agencies. Broken from the top down. Here's the latest admission on that reality. You could easily substitute DFO for RCMP on many of the statements - although this one is specifically dealing with gender bias and harassment, discrimination and sexual abuse while on the job: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/rcmp-harassment-1.3795399

"I think they are talking about changing a culture and I don't know if that can be changed. I think the [DFO] has gotten too big to be managed. I don't believe the [DFO] in its current state can be fixed."

I was watching this on the news last night. looks like it ended in a pretty large settlement from a class action lawsuit. I foresee the same thing happening between DFO and a few user groups when this all comes to a head, which it will....
unfortunately it's the taxpayer that always foots the bill for their gross negligence...

Last edited:
It isn't in their interest to come clean.
The wild salmon are just a nuisance to the salmon farmers and to the corporately run DFO. eliminate the wild salmon and then all we'll have to choose from at the grocery store is the diseased, virus ridden, pesticide poisoned, toxin ridden, antibiotic laced, open net pen farmed salmon. The corporate 1% can then make greater profits when the wild salmon become so scarce and become so overpriced because of their scarcity, that no one except the 1% can afford them (because they wouldn't eat farmed salmon... ewww, gross) and we the taxpayer can pay for the cleanup and any major disease outbreaks or large disease caused die-offs in these farms like we always do...
we've got the fox guarding the henhouse now.
better catch them and enjoy them while you still can,
yes, like you mentioned AA, business as usual...

I really don't think they give a rat's @ss about wild salmon...

The other sad reality is that the only thing preventing huge hydro electric projects from being green lighted is our pesky wild Salmon clogging up the rivers they want to dam. Too much money at stake here for wild Salmon to have a fighting chance. The more the wild Salmon decline in numbers, the more the farmed Salmon increases in value on the store shelves. When a river no longer has wild Salmon, it becomes a huge money making opportunity for hydro electric power production. Win, win, as far as our politicians are concerned. They would much rather not have to spend huge sums of money to manage our West coast Salmon fisheries when the Salmon can be easily harvested from commercial net pens. Wouldn't need much of a coast guard either when there's no commercial or sports fleets left out on the water chasing those troublesome wild Salmon around. Think of all the cost savings if those Salmon would just go the way of the Dodo. Fire up the excavators because there's a ton of dams like site "C" they're just itching to build. Money, money, money, now if only those wild Salmon would hurry up and extinct themselves. Pretty sad, but money makes the world go round apparently.

money also helps DFO make a fishes life go around..........;);)

Maybe write a letter demanding more money to be spent on the pacific office. maybe if DFO gets more money they will be better at doing there jobs and people will stop saying weird things about them.
FYI dfo cut backs coming again next year........

"
Big budget cuts too
The audit says significant budget cuts between 2011 and 2016 eroded DFO's ability to fulfil its mandate.

The budget for DFO's key tool for sustainable management — the Integrated Fisheries Resource Management Program — was reduced by more than 25 per cent. The budget for its Fisheries Resource Science Program was reduced by almost 20 per cent.

Environmentalist Susanna Fuller of the Ecology Action Centre says the previous Conservative Government is 75 per cent responsible for today's problems at DFO."

The other sad reality is that the only thing preventing huge hydro electric projects from being green lighted is our pesky wild Salmon clogging up the rivers they want to dam. Too much money at stake here for wild Salmon to have a fighting chance. The more the wild Salmon decline in numbers, the more the farmed Salmon increases in value on the store shelves. When a river no longer has wild Salmon, it becomes a huge money making opportunity for hydro electric power production. Win, win, as far as our politicians are concerned. They would much rather not have to spend huge sums of money to manage our West coast Salmon fisheries when the Salmon can be easily harvested from commercial net pens. Wouldn't need much of a coast guard either when there's no commercial or sports fleets left out on the water chasing those troublesome wild Salmon around. Think of all the cost savings if those Salmon would just go the way of the Dodo. Fire up the excavators because there's a ton of dams like site "C" they're just itching to build. Money, money, money, now if only those wild Salmon would hurry up and extinct themselves. Pretty sad, but money makes the world go round apparently.
me thinks the lobbyists/politicians/crooks/upper-level management already thought-out this game plan years ago. Explains many things - incl. open net-pen promotion.

The strategic salmon health initiative launched in 2013 with Brian Riddell and Kristi Miller as project leaders . This is an intensive testing of wild and farmed salmon for microbes . Unfortunately we will not hear the results until 2018 - 2020 . Hopefully -CFIA- will be honest about the results . Let's also hope wild salmon will survive and thrive so we can continue to fish them .

CFIA comes into the picture if the study comes across CFIA-regulated diseases or OIE listed diseases; however, they are not listed as a partner in this with DFO, PSF and Genome BC.

https://www.psf.ca/what-we-do/strategic-salmon-health-initiative

A. Morton, R. Routledge. 2016. Risk and precaution: Salmon farming. Marine Policy 74 (2016): http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0308597X16304390

ABSTRACT

The salmon farming industry uses coastal, temperate marine waters to culture salmon in flow-through net pens. As marine currents pass through salmon farms, pathogens are carried in both directions between two highly contrasting environments. When wild fish are infected with pathogens spilling from the farm environment, the natural mechanisms that work to prevent epizootics become inoperative. The 18-year decline of Canada's largest salmon fishery, on Fraser River Sockeye Salmon, triggered a comprehensive federal commission to determine the cause. Two of the recommendations from this commission call for removal of the salmon farms from the Discovery Islands of British Columbia (BC), a bottleneck in the Sockeye Salmon migration route, if the evidence indicates that the industry generates greater than minimal risk of serious harm to the Fraser River Sockeye Salmon. Risk is interpreted as a probability and ‘minimal risk’, in the context of the Precautionary Principle, as a cut-off level on the strength of the scientific evidence needed to justify precautionary measures. Here the available evidence of the risk caused by sea lice and viruses from salmon farms on wild salmon is considered. From this perspective, the evidence is unambiguous. Salmon farms in the region of the Discovery Islands generate greater than minimal risk of serious harm to Fraser River Sockeye Salmon. Furthermore, there is no evidence that the risk factors identified are specific to Fraser River Sockeye Salmon, as many of them apply to other areas and salmon species in the north eastern Pacific and globally.

I read this the other day and it's kind of the report Morton wish Cohen would have came out with but didn't, in my opinion. Although it did highlight some gaps I didn't find it very objective. In fact, the authors conveniently manoeuvred through the literature to make their point, but when you go to some of those cited studies in the references there is some missing context in Morton/Routledge article. There is a broader understanding missing and it can be found in a few of the references. In regards to PRV, the authors steered clear of most of the recent literature. Instead they picked only one quote from one of the studies from Dr. Garver. Well, Garver had more to say than that which I have posted on this forum already. Honestly, if folks want a more objective view it would be better to read the studies in the references, but especially this one:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/eva.12164/full

I read this the other day and it's kind of the report Morton wish Cohen would have came out with but didn't, in my opinion. Although it did highlight some gaps I didn't find it very objective. In fact, the authors conveniently manoeuvred through the literature to make their point, but when you go to some of those cited studies in the references there is some missing context in Morton/Routledge article. There is a broader understanding missing and it can be found in a few of the references. In regards to PRV, the authors steered clear of most of the recent literature. Instead they picked only one quote from one of the studies from Dr. Garver. Well, Garver had more to say than that which I have posted on this forum already. Honestly, if folks want a more objective view it would be better to read the studies in the references, but especially this one:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/eva.12164/full

Doesn't sound like DFO or our government is following the precautionary principle when you read what you posted. Seems to me like more evidence that fish farms should be condemmed. Are you sure you read the study that you posted? I thought you were a supporter that was fine with fish farms.
From your link.

Potential for exchange between wild and cultured salmon

As wild salmon populations in North America and Norway have been declining in both numbers and productivity, aquaculture production has been increasing (Ford and Myers 2008; Walker and Winton 2010). There is growing evidence that in some regions, aquaculture may be a primary cause of declines in wild populations (Ford and Myers 2008). Reductions in fitness due to genetic introgression of farmed escapees (where endemic species are cultured) and transfer of disease are the main issues of concern (Heggberget et al. 1993). Disease exchange from aquaculture to wild fish may occur through the introduction of novel microparasites by translocations of eggs or juvenile fish, or as a result of artificially high carrier states of endemic microparasites due to high density rearing environments (Krkošek et al. 2006). Additionally, net pen farming could increase concentrations of myxozoan parasites by creating optimal environments for their intermediate invertebrate hosts (e.g., annelid worms) in the eutrophic environment under salmon pens (Johnsen et al. 1993), potentially increasing their impact on both farmed and wild migrating populations (Bakke and Harris 1998).

In aquaculture, fish can be reared at densities more than a thousand times those in natural environments (Pulkkinen et al. 2010). A fundamental principle of epidemiology is that populations should be most subject to host-specific infectious disease when they are at high densities (Lafferty and Gerber 2002). This is a key tenet of the premise that populations in a culture environment will be more affected by disease than wild populations; given what we know about disease outbreaks on farms, this does appear to be the case (Ibieta et al. 2011). In the section on microbial evolution above, we discussed the factors in addition to density present in a culture environment that facilitate rapid evolution of enhanced virulence. However, most evidence to date suggests that it is not the highly virulent microparasites produced by high density salmon culture that are the greatest risk to wild populations (Anderson 1979; Bakke and Harris 1998; Biering et al. 2013). For example, molecular monitoring of wild Atlantic Salmon and sea trout (S. trutta) in Norway revealed that only one of the five emerging viruses (PRV but not IPNV, SAV, ISAV, or PCMV) impacting the salmon aquaculture industry was present in >1.5% of wild fish, nor were the two most pathogenic bacterial microbes, R. salmoninarum and A. salmonicida present at appreciable levels among the 500 fish surveyed (Biering et al. 2013). These prevalence rates differed dramatically from those associated with the Norwegian aquaculture industry, which had been experiencing particularly high incidence of IPNV and SAV. The question is, did affeced wild fish simply die unsampled or is there really a much lower infection pressure on wild fish (McVicar 1997)?

Studies from terrestrial systems indicate that cultured animals can be important carriers of disease, even if the cultured species suffers little pathology (Lafferty and Gerber 2002). Terrestrial examples of domestic/wild impacts of disease exchange are abundant and have involved bacterial, fungal, viral, and protozoan infectious agents that have reduced wild populations of affected species by 80–90%, occasionally causing local extinction (reviewed in Lafferty and Gerber 2002). In the aquatic realm, a survey from ProMED-mail in 2000 revealed that hatcheries and aquaculture facilities were associated with the North American spread of ISAV and salmon sarcoma virus in Atlantic Salmon, and whirling disease (M. cerebralis) and furuncolosis in trout (Dobson and Foufopoulos 2001). In Norway, disease outbreaks of gyrodactyliasis (caused by G. salaris) and furunculosis leading to severe declines in wild populations are highly correlated with the expansion of the aquaculture industry in the northwestern Atlantic and the Baltic during the first half of the 1980s (Johnsen and Jensen 1994; Heggberget et al. 1993). The scale of G. salaris losses was so great in Norwegian salmon rivers that entire systems were treated with rotenone in an attempt to eradicate the parasite (Windsor and Hutchinson 1990).

(cont'd in next post)

Last edited:
Disease transfer between aquaculture and wild populations is not unidirectional; there are several documented cases where disease outbreaks on farms have occurred after transmission of infectious agents from wild fish; in fact, there are more substantiated reports of wild to aquaculture disease transfer than aquaculture to wild (viral transfer reviewed in Kurath and Winton 2011). A case in point in the northeastern Pacific are the widespread outbreaks of IHNV soon after the Atlantic Salmon farming industry was established in the early 1990s (St-Hilaire et al. 2002). As Atlantic Salmon are an exotic species in the Pacific Ocean, they had no natural resistance to microbes endemic to BC salmon. IHNV is endemic to BC and is particularly prevalent in Sockeye Salmon populations in freshwater (Rucker et al. 1953; Traxler et al. 1998; see sections above for more discussion on IHN). From 1992–1996, cumulative mortality from the IHN outbreaks on BC farms was close to 50%, similar to levels experienced during a second outbreak from 2001 to 2003 (Saksida 2006) associated with losses of over 12 million fish. Sequence-level analyses resolved that outbreaks resulted from three separate introductions from viral strains common in wild Pacific salmon populations from Alaska, BC and Washington State (Saksida 2006).

The probability of disease transfer between aquaculture and wild fish in the marine environment will largely depend upon the hydrographic regime around the net pens, the migration routes of wild fish and length of time that wild and farmed fish are in close contact, prevalence of infection, shedding rates, and the longevity of microparasites outside of their host. Models that include detailed field observations and oceanographic mapping to define potential dispersal routes within and between host metapopulations are rare (Bakke and Harris 1998). Research on sea lice dispersal patterns in Europe (Costelloe et al. 1996, 1998) and circulation models around salmon farms in BC to better understand potential dispersal patterns of IHNV and sea lice (Foreman et al. 2012) are the exception. Without this research, the epidemiological consequences of open net pen farms associated with aquaculture, and of movements of juvenile salmon between river systems, cannot be adequately assessed.

The transfer of disease between farmed and wild fish does not necessarily require direct contact between the two populations. Microparasites can also be transported by predatory birds (McAllister and Owens 1992) and fish (Glover et al. 2013), and by escapees from farms (Munro et al. 1976). Avian scavengers may travel long distances, spreading diseases between freshwater and marine habitats (Murray and Peeler 2005); IPNV has been found in the feces of scavenging sea gulls (McAllister and Owens 1992). Predatory wild Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua) have also been shown to be carriers of PRV likely originating from nearby salmon farms (Glover et al. 2013).

Direct exchange of microparasites between cultured and wild fish is certainly not the only route of microbe exchange. Many microparasites have intermediate invertebrate hosts; hence environments that foster naturally high densities of intermediate hosts may enhance levels of natural populations. Marine fish, such as herring (Clupea pallasi), threespine sticklebacks (Gasterosteus aculeatus), Pacific hake (Merluccius productus), and Pacific sandlance (Ammodytes hexapterus) are routinely cocaptured in aggregations of salmon smolts or in areas around salmon farms, and are known to harbor microparasites that can infect salmon. Salmon microparasites known to be carried by marine fishes include: Viruses— VHSV, ISAV, and IHNV; bacterial microbes—R. salmoninarum, chlamydia-like organisms; microparasites—Loma sp. (Nylund et al. 2002; Kent et al. 1998). Sea louse are important salmon macroparasites, and may be important vectors for viruses (e.g. ISAV – Nylund et al. 1993; IHNV – Jakob et al. 2011), bacteria (A. salmonicida – Nese and Enger 1993) and microparasites (Paranucleospora theridion – Freeman and Sommerville 2009; Jones et al. 2012).

A qoute from Dr. Kristi Miller-Saunders given in evidence at recent House of Commons Fisheries Committee hearings;

" When I started down this path of research in 2012, I was told by an upper manager, who's no longer with the department, that it was irresponsible to ask research questions that could potentially result in negative economic ramifications on an industry if we did not already know the answer. At the time, my lab was developing very powerful technology that could simultaneously quantitate 47 different pathogens—viruses, bacteria, and fungal parasites—in 96 fish at once. We had populated this platform with assays to virtually all the infectious agents that were known or suspected to be pathogenic in salmon worldwide, including many that were associated with emerging diseases in other parts of the world but that had never been assessed in Canada. The manager was concerned that by employing this technology, we would make our salmon in B.C. look dirty, and impact their economic value in the market, and that if we uncovered agents that were not known to be endemic, ENGOs and the public would immediately point to the aquaculture industry as the culprit. As such, the attitude was don't look closely, especially for things that we didn't know already were there. It took almost two years to get approval to go ahead with this technology, which we are now employing on over 26,000 wild, enhanced, and farmed salmon in B.C."

http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublicat...m=FOPO&Mee=38&Language=e&Mode=1&Parl=42&Ses=1

There are more interesting tidbits as well. Dr. Miller-Saunders testimony begins at 1645 in the link above.

A qoute from Dr. Kristi Miller-Saunders given in evidence at recent House of Commons Fisheries Committee hearings;

" When I started down this path of research in 2012, I was told by an upper manager, who's no longer with the department, that it was irresponsible to ask research questions that could potentially result in negative economic ramifications on an industry if we did not already know the answer. At the time, my lab was developing very powerful technology that could simultaneously quantitate 47 different pathogens—viruses, bacteria, and fungal parasites—in 96 fish at once. We had populated this platform with assays to virtually all the infectious agents that were known or suspected to be pathogenic in salmon worldwide, including many that were associated with emerging diseases in other parts of the world but that had never been assessed in Canada. The manager was concerned that by employing this technology, we would make our salmon in B.C. look dirty, and impact their economic value in the market, and that if we uncovered agents that were not known to be endemic, ENGOs and the public would immediately point to the aquaculture industry as the culprit. As such, the attitude was don't look closely, especially for things that we didn't know already were there. It took almost two years to get approval to go ahead with this technology, which we are now employing on over 26,000 wild, enhanced, and farmed salmon in B.C."

http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublicat...m=FOPO&Mee=38&Language=e&Mode=1&Parl=42&Ses=1

There are more interesting tidbits as well. Dr. Miller-Saunders testimony begins at 1645 in the link above.

It's beyond disgusting that they (DFO) have jeopardized and continue to jeopardize the health and sanctity of what's left of our wild salmon. soon we'll be talking about how our wild salmon have gone the way of the atlantic cod. there isn't much time and it may already be too late. thxs for the link cuttlefish. some pretty interesting reading there and insight into who seems to have the environment and fish interests at heart and who doesn't. I thought Kristi Millers whole speech was very well put forth.

Last edited:
Back