Victoria reports - spring/summer 09

TenMile

This thread is to discuss spring summer fishing off Victoria -- approximately 10mi Point to Race Rocks including Constance Bank. How'd you do, where were you, and any other secrets you're willing to share :D.

TenMile
<'((((><

Effective 00:01 hrs Mon, March 2 and until 23:59 hrs Thurs, May 14, additional recreational fishery restrictions on chinook salmon will be in effect in Subareas 19-1 to 19-4 and Subarea 20-5 (those waters near Victoria between Cadboro Pt. to Sheringham Pt.). During this time period and in this area the daily limit is two (2) chinook salmon per day which may be wild or hatchery marked between the size limit of 45 cm and 67 cm or hatchery marked only chinook over 67 cm in length.

Variation Order No. 2009-74

TenMile
<'((((><

oops, deleted message implies they were not aware and it did so end up on the dinner table. Gotta read your restrictions and at least stay up on current events - it's posted here enough after all!

spent the afternoon out at the east side of the bank. No fish but it was an outstanding day none-the-less....

TenMile
<'((((><

Did a quick morning trip today there was a good salmon bite between 7-9am fish were rite on the bottom on both the electric chair and medium herring.For sure a beauty day.

quote:Originally posted by bananas

Did a quick morning trip today there was a good salmon bite between 7-9am fish were rite on the bottom on both the electric chair and medium herring.For sure a beauty day.

Anyone out off the waterfront, Constance or Oak Bay getting salmon these days?

TenMile
<'((((><

Hi Terry,
we're still fishing Halibut, but dogfish are starting to move in
so time to switch over soon.
Should be some fish on the flats now, lot's of Herring showing
on Haro.

Cheers.

Scott

fished the Oak Bay flats this afternoon.no luck. I heard that a few salmon came in early in the day though.

Out for a few hours yesterday in Oak Bay. Hooked into an absolute screamer at the entrance to the Gap that took a fantastic run -- didn't get to see it unfortunately but this fish was no teenager!!! Picked it up around 70ft on a chovie.

Otherwise, yesterday seemed to be the day of the cod. Probably caught about 8 of them with some decent sizes -- all returned to grow larger.

TenMile
<'((((><

Lot's of bait showing on the flat's Saturday....
Birds working all over the place.
Saw a couple of fish landed, one nice one, but nothing for us.

It was good on the Flats last Tuesday but got slower as the week went on, and not very good on the weeekend.

Just checkin' in on the flats. I am gonna hit it this weekend. I am going to use a squirt on one rod and try a coyote on the other. Any tips on leader lengths? I have yet to catch a salmon on the flats.

Fished the flats this afternoon with about 8 other boats...
lot's of seals, not so many salmon :(
have heard good reports about the early tide change.
crabbing is still good !!

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

Fished the flats this afternoon with about 8 other boats...
lot's of seals, not so many salmon :(
have heard good reports about the early tide change.
crabbing is still good !!

I was out on the flats for a couple of hours this afternoon. Many rockfish, cod and greenling. Two screamers lost -- one tossed the hook and the second broke the shank of a hook!!!

TenMile
<'((((><

rats that sucks. Bite seems be really early on the flats. set the alarm clock . 5-6 is HOT!!! Am that is.

Hey, were there any salmon caught off Oak Bay today? I tried for halibut during that narrow window in the morning, and got nothing. Thinking about going out Sunday morning, early (7am Beemer, can't seem to get out earlier than that!) for a Spring. What sort of lure/hootchie should I be using? Thanks for any advice from the fish slayers out there.

Oak Bay was good. Caught 5 kept 3. 12 , 14 and 15. Use the Oak Bay standards. Green or blue Coyote spoon or copcar , green squirt. Good Luck!

Lot's of boats fishing the flats today, my partner got a nice
14 lb spring on herring at 127'

IMG_2259.jpg

Back