Victoria Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

Just got off the phone with a buddy and he said the action was fast and furious in Oak Bay, boating some nice hatchery's and letting go some nice size wilds. World famous Krippled K and squirts were the ticket.

Put 3 hatchery from 8 to 15 lbs in the boat on purple haze squirt and fed a nice one to our friend Sammy the seal this morning at Oak Bay flats 100 to 120 ft bouncing bottom.

Put 3 hatchery from 8 to 15 lbs in the boat on purple haze squirt and fed a nice one to our friend Sammy the seal this morning at Oak Bay flats 100 to 120 ft bouncing bottom.

Saw you bag the 15lb Chero, nice fish...
we released a really nice wild about 18 lbs, lost a couple and released another small one about 5 lbs

Fished yesterday AM at constance, fighting a ripping current between Wolf and Whole in the Water, but it was running too fast and the waves a bit lumpy for fishing solo in my set up. I split and fished the OB flats for an hour. Lots of little schools showing. I passed over one near Brodie and dumped a cannon ball to the bottom and got the interest of a salmon and played it for a bit but lost it part way up. I set the gear again, circled back retracing my breadcrumbs and dropped the ball on them again and bam, fish on again. The green splatterback squirt was the ticket once again. Fun fight with the old fibreglass switch rod too. Tasty with prawns on the bbq tonight.

Fished Oak Bay this morning, played 8 fish. The first 3 fish were dine and dash and 2 went to the seals(Craven manouver working great), we were getting pissed off with no fish in the boat (about the seals) Finally we ended up with a 12lb hatchery a 10lb wild and a 6 wild. Anchovy glow head, coho killer, right on the bottom. Fish had 6 inch long needle fish in them (no herring)WTF. My partner said the diagonal side eddy was working good today. Beauty day today flat calm

Ya those seals can be really bothersome eh! Well that is until the Orca's come and turn them into an after dinner snack :D munchy munchy ! Thanks again fella's I'll let ya know the 411 from down below when I get back tomorrow afternoon sometime. Keep your tips up and your lines tight boys until next time see ya all out there on the water real soon!:)

Fished Oak Bay this morning, played 8 fish. The first 3 fish were dine and dash and 2 went to the seals(Craven manouver working great), we were getting pissed off with no fish in the boat (about the seals) Finally we ended up with a 12lb hatchery a 10lb wild and a 6 wild. Anchovy glow head, coho killer, right on the bottom. Fish had 6 inch long needle fish in them (no herring)WTF. My partner said the diagonal side eddy was working good today. Beauty day today flat calm

Was your wild one of those short and fat fish? I thought a 10lb'r would be over the slot.

EDIT: I guess I assumed that you kept the wild. Sorry for that. Maybe I will learn to read soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe the 10lb wild was caught and released ?
most of the bigger fish are unclipped although i heard of a 25lb hatch
fish taken on Saturday.

A friend was fishing yesterday off the trailer park in sooke and there was a mixed bag of hatch and wild around 12-14 and some undersize. They are coming.....

We kept two hatchery at the Oak Bay Flats yesterday, one of which was 12 lbs. I guess the word was out - Lot of Boats (counted 29) in in a small area including two Gradys from Island Outfitters.

Last edited by a moderator:
We kept two hatchery at the Oak Bay Flats yesterday, one of which was 12 lbs. I guess the word was out - Lot of Boats (counted 29) in in a small area including two Gradys from Island Outfitters.

Thats pretty common for this time of year in Oak bay, will last for another month
( if Springs stay open)
and then most boats will move west to Sooke.

I've been called everything.. but a seal!! :eek:

547356_10151735917150647_616760646_24840020_1744426638_n.jpg

Forgot to post this...this was on Sat of the derby weekend. We didn't actually buy tickets but the weather and current conditions were so damn good I couldn't resist getting out! Found our own spot away from the obvious crowds - worked out for us!

Back