Victoria Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

east constance produced steady salmon action early am.100/120 chovies /bloody nose /p.haze.draggin bottom.hatch to 13lbs

To the east there was no flood, just a nice gental ebb flush all morning. Depending where you are, plenty fishable.. Mud hole looks real fishy for tomorrow, doesn't get bad in there at all. When I was fishing springs on top of Conny around noon, there were guys anchored all around me. Tides are good all day, the flood will not affect everyone, as it's not a real flood, just a slowing of the ebb.. Lines will be a different direction then the boat.

Chris I am out in my buddies boat tomorrow give you a call we will be around west Constance/William head area looking for some uglies...

We will be out there as well Chris. A smaller double eagle anchored up. The usual channel. Tight lines.

Tryed some hali fishing this morning off alberthead had to guys in a 23 foot boat or so drift right into my scottsman ball witch is only 30' away and over the rope. And they say to me catch any halibut? i said no what are you doing OH we got you anchor line WELL NO !@#$ i said you drifted right over it. wish had a camara you wouldint belive this like 20 feet from me. THANKS

Well, we ended up on the south side of conny and it DID flood between 9 and 12. At least our scotsman was west of us and we were being pushed east. But LC you were right that the fishing lines were either dead vertical or slightly towards west. How do you explain this phenomenon of lines going in a different direction than the boat?

Anyway, we did end up with a small chicken. For some reason I can't find any halis of any size this year. Between 11 and 1 it was a zoo out there. Anchored boats everywhere and we had a guy drop the pick a little too close for my comfort zone. When we swung around I couldn't have been very far away from his anchor anymore as his scotsman was then only maybe 200' away. I took some photos of the boat for our hall of shame. Luckily nothing did tangle.

Never heard or saw you Rockfish. But then when sitting anchored I typically crank up some tunes so I probably missed some calls.

Saw a huge 100 lbs at the dock! Congrats to the lucky catchers. It filled that little 16' boat almost completely...lol

Called you once Chris. We were west of Conny and also got a chicken about 19lbs and had a bigger one on for a few seconds before it spit the hook.

It was strange what the weak current and winds were doing out there. One guy was anchored about 1200 feet away on the shore side of us and his boat was facing the opposite direction from us most of the day. It seemed like the current was running in different directions.

Both times we have come in this year at the Esq. Anglers ramp with Halibut, the Creel guys have been there to check our fish. They seem to be putting a fair bit of time in on Haly. Saw one at the dock around 50lbs.

:(I heard it was gonna be windy at constance and knew it would be a clusterf of boat knitting anchor lines. We decided to relax on the Haro side. There were more than the usual number of boats there, most of use put 4 or 5 hours in then drifted and nobody seemed to catch anything.

Busy at Oak bay as well, pretty strong ebb most of the day so we fished for salmon
and picked up a pair of 11lb hatch jobs.
full moon and big tides coming next weekend.

Hali was good today! And Chris, regarding the tides, I don't get it myself, but I imagine you get different currents at different depths playing with your line, wheras the surface current can have your boat facing a different direction.. I don't know the reason, just observe it.

Did you manage to find somewhere to hide from the west wind ?
pretty blowy out there today.

went out to Oak Bay yesterday and got 6 bites, lost 2, released 2, kept 2. Only 1 crab even though we checked it and moved it 3 times. Fish were caught on uv and glow hootchies and spoons. Nice day on the water.

Back