Victoria Reports 2015

Fished saturday early morning to 1pm, fished in tight around water front, and esquimalt anglers area. 5 to the boat 3 keepers 2 tiny guys went back. Rough on the weather; nothing but rain rain rain and then wind around 12-1pm plus side the sun did burn throughish around 11am. All in all pretty happy with 3 keepers weighed them at the dock and came in around 8-10lbs a piece. Surprisingly fished in close around 90-140 feet of water all hits around 75 on the downrigger speed over water was fast too probably anywhere from 6-9kph. Orange and gold flasher with green white red striped 4 inch spoon, and a lemon green onion flasher with a coho killer army truck color worked. One hit on a 4 inch black and white spoon but it wasn't to be took one run and shook it off. Gonna need to learn how to halibut fish next, from the xmas gifts from family I think they were hinting they're tired of salmon :p tight lines all

Thanks for the detailed report !! We were out on Saturday too I thought it was a little bumpy out there too, some guys said it was nice. Not where I was

Really appreciate the last few entries with helpful reports - thanks for sharing. Interesting that Arjento had his 3 keepers around 75' while Pitre had 3 at 191' - and Andrew P was right on the bottom.

I fished Mcauley to Brochie Friday noon til 4 and only had 2 shakers to let go. I was at 120' so I guess the fish were above and below me:(

thanks again

Really appreciate the last few entries with helpful reports - thanks for sharing. Interesting that Arjento had his 3 keepers around 75' while Pitre had 3 at 191' - and Andrew P was right on the bottom.

I fished Mcauley to Brochie Friday noon til 4 and only had 2 shakers to let go. I was at 120' so I guess the fish were above and below me:(

thanks again

Sometimes I start right on the bottom and then bring them up 20 feet or so per hour until I locate some fish... doesn't always work, but often helps to find them.

I tend to always keep one on the bottom and move the other rod up 15-20 feet at a time (every 30 mins or so) to attempt to locate fish.

If you find the fish, at that point you can bring the bottom rod up to the depth that you found them at, if that is what you prefer.

Hope this helps!

Imo glow helps alot this time of year, and keep it close to the bottom has helped me this winter...

any reports this week? Haven't seen much :( I didn't get to go for day two on Sunday or Monday family day priorities :) Anyways guys let's have em..... Buddy went out to Constance yesterday and got notta; not sure how he made out at albert head but he was just going for halibut that I know of

20+ dogfish out at border banks.from 830-130..just couldnt get away from them.
Came in and got a 8lb off the flag pole.on sandlance peetz flasher combo
Beautiful day out

Today my friend and I went to Oak Bay Flat for halibut fishing and salmon fishing. I had never been able to catch any halibut in whole my life and I’ve been living on Vancouver Island for 21 years.

We stopped about 10 30 am, I put the xl herring on two single circle hooks and I put some halibut scent in the herring mouth. I dropped it to the bottom. I saw my rod got a big strike, I picked up my rod right away and I fought the fish but the fish pulled down so fast then I pulled up and reeled it up . The halibut spit the hook out. We quit around 1230. No dogfish.

Next we trolled for winter spring, We caught 5 winter springs in 76 mins, one was a double header. We used Anchovy and sitka . Four fish on sitka and one fish on anchovy. We kept two springs about 10 lbs. Thank you Andrew.P who made the magic lures! The weather and water were so amazingly beautiful and peaceful!

Today my friend and I went to Oak Bay Flat for halibut fishing and salmon fishing. I had never been able to catch any halibut in whole my life and I’ve been living on Vancouver Island for 21 years.

We stopped about 10 30 am, I put the xl herring on two single circle hooks and I put some halibut scent in the herring mouth. I dropped it to the bottom. I saw my rod got a big strike, I picked up my rod right away and I fought the fish but the fish pulled down so fast then I pulled up and reeled it up . The halibut spit the hook out. We quit around 1230. No dogfish.

Next we trolled for winter spring, We caught 5 winter springs in 76 mins, one was a double header. We used Anchovy and sitka . Four fish on sitka and one fish on anchovy. We kept two springs about 10 lbs. Thank you Andrew.P who made the magic lures! The weather and water were so amazingly beautiful and peaceful!

Sounds like a great day Discus, good job!!
When using circle hooks next time maybe let them really get a good hold of your bait, no need to rush a hook set with Hali's

nice work, Discus! You ll get a halibut on the next trip! :)

There was a brief bite on around 11:00 am off the waterfront.
a couple of around 12-13 lbs and a few small released.
spoons in the mud.

winter springs feb 15 007.jpg

Spring velocity,
You should have moved east. We found a few, plus no pilot boats! Are you in a Trophy?

Yes couple of beauties there!
I snuck out to "check on the boat" before breakfast,managed to fish for an hour before i got the where are you phone call:rolleyes:
Wind was picking up on the flats around ten..looked like a nice afternoon out there.

Yes couple of beauties there!
I snuck out to "check on the boat" before breakfast,managed to fish for an hour before i got the where are you phone call:rolleyes:
Wind was picking up on the flats around ten..looked like a nice afternoon out there.

Saw you out there Thursday. How'd you do?

Out front deep 340' between 11:30-3. 25 & 50 lbs was the end result. Both on same piece of octo / belly combo. No dogs, one monster skate. That 50 was a mean SOB. Not a happy camper. Both hit between 2-3 when the flood started moving.

I’ve picked up 2 halibut over the last 5 years, only by mistake while bouncing the bottom for salmon. Every attempt on Con bank, Alberthead, the flats and east of Discovery have failed me. I’ve try large herring, octopus, plastic and salmon bellies. I’ve researched my charts and read the forums. Tried anchoring but mostly drifted and the elusive hali still challenges me. On the other hand I have been extremely successful with salmon. I don’t want to pull alongside someone setup for hali and make waypoints. That would be kinda low. I have been asked to take a friends kid out fishing and would love to thrill him with a nice flatty. Can anyone PM me with a long and lat of a location and increase my chances? Sure would appreciate any suggestions.

When we first started out of Oak Bay, 25 years ago, use to DRIFT from the west side of Discovery towards Trial . We only used XL HERRING Cut plug on spreader bars in 180-240 deep. Nick-name the "dirty thirty". VERY sticky bottom so you gotta stay on the gear. No more than 30-40lb test on your 2lb ball. Gotta move for freighters. Try a drift from west side of Constance to the Mud Hole, it's deep but produces. Now I'm a lazy old guy so I anchor.

Back