Victoria Reports 2015

Discussion in '2015 Saltwater Fishing Reports' started by porcupine, Jan 2, 2015.

1. barrie

barrie Active Member

Were you at Fulford Reef on the east side?

2. Gear'n'beer!

Gear'n'beer! Well-Known Member

12-4 today out frontier. Biggest was a 26# marble. Wonder where she was headed
    image.jpg

3. rockdog

rockdog Well-Known Member

Wow, great pic!

4. PatyO'Furniture

PatyO'Furniture Active Member

fished from 4-7 off the breakwater and esquimalt, skunked! tried chovies and coho killers
    fished sunday morning out there too and skunked as well! lots of boats out sunday, didnt see too many nets.

5. Halibut-face

Halibut-face Member

Was out this morning not fishing. Saw a commercial troller headed out from the harbour, but off Albert head dragging tuna gear. Not kidding, dragging about 8-10 rattlers out the back. Anyone know what's up with this?

6. zfish

zfish Member

Prior lake coho release stillborn?

These pictures were taken after the coho were released yesterday.

Attached Files:

7. sammyslabber

sammyslabber Active Member

Jesus mercy!!...any ideas what the cause is? :(

8. SpringVelocity

SpringVelocity Well-Known Member

That's awful.

9. Discus

Discus Well-Known Member

Oh No that is awful.

Maybe They shocked which is the water parameter was not right match from the hatchery coho to released to the river/lake. Or Water was toxic ?

Possible PH shock? or Conductivity shock or temperature shock?

Where did you see them? I want to go and look at them.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2015
  10. sammyslabber

sammyslabber Active Member

Prior Lake...just got back and it appears to be a high mortality percentage...talked with someone who got there just after the fry were released; "many were near the surface and appeared to be gasping for air"

This news is disheartening;especially for the hatchery volunteers, who volunteer time and money to enhance local fisheries.

11. chris73

chris73 Well-Known Member

Terrible loss. Next time groups should sample the lakes before release and get an analysis from the CRD aquatic ecology lab. For questions, contact me.

12. profisher

profisher Well-Known Member

How many were released into the lake?

13. sundance

sundance Member

Esquimalt anglers assoc

We released 25,000 coho fry in prior lk yesterday like we have done last 20 yrs , hatchery manager figures lake may have gone toxic do to the hot weather , lost about 10 % ,we are doing tests today and tomorrow, elk lake had a huge bow frog kill as well , which is a good thing ( Gary )

14. Discus

Discus Well-Known Member

"many were near the surface and appeared to be gasping for air"

That signal was that there was something wrong with the water. It is possible the water parameter was wrong or toxic or parasitic or not enough oxygen? I am an aquaculture technician for over 15 years.

I want to know how big were the coho fry?

15. zfish

zfish Member

About index Finger length or smaller.

16. Kildonan

Kildonan Well-Known Member

Anybody been getting any coho off the waterfront?

I haven't been out in 3 weeks. :(

17. barrie

barrie Active Member

I ran over to Race this morning 500-600', one 8lb wild that I tossed back and lots of tinies from 45'-135'. After tiny number 12, I picked up and back to Vic harbour.

18. FisherTim

FisherTim Active Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wild's are open now, arent they?

19. Kildonan

Kildonan Well-Known Member

You may keep one wild, one hatchery clipped in area 19.

20. barrie

barrie Active Member

That wild fish just looked so pissed off for biting the spoon, so I let him go! I believe it's 1 wild and 3 hatchery retention west of Race, but I could be wrong. Tomorrow I'm going out to the USA border off Race. Big fleet of Yankee boats out there, they are all talking on 68

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2015