Victoria Reports 2015

Discussion in '2015 Saltwater Fishing Reports' started by porcupine, Jan 2, 2015.

1. saltydawg

saltydawg Active Member

One white, one red. On the bottom I,m happy.

2. fishspoon

fishspoon Active Member

My buddy went out this morning to Constance Bank...boxed two nice winter springs...6 or 8 pound average. I saw a picture of him holding a pair of fish in a boat.

3. Slack-tider

Slack-tider Member

830-12 on the OB Flats. Danced around the Brotie Rock and seen some big bait balls. Let a small one go. Tried the crab trap in Ross bay with no success. Not much action out there today on the epp tide. More boats around the harbor and saxes point. Anchovies were the winner with bloody nose on the bottom

4. Fisherman Rob

Fisherman Rob Well-Known Member

Found an old TC article from July 2013 that summarizes fishing Sooke/Victoria area. Note the tip to fish backeddies on the ebb. Interesting, as I've always thought that fishing the slack to flood change is more productive. What tide do you fish?

5. scott craven

scott craven Well-Known Member

The best tide to fish depends on where you are fishing...
    for example:
    on a strong flood the Oakbay flats become a large backeddy in the lee of
    Trial island. bait and fish move around freely.
    conversely on a hard ebb the west side of Trial becomes the backeddy with Trial
    breaking the ebb currents.
    Knowing the structure and how currents affect the area is important.

6. Slack-tider

Slack-tider Member

There is some interesting topography and structures on both sides of Trial. The Bait ball I traveled over was at 915am yesterday between Trial and Brodie Rack. It was hugh, approx half a football field. Never seen anything like it. That area really demostrates the difference between tide changes and current changes.

7. saltydawg

saltydawg Active Member

found full sized herring in the guts 2 days ago

8. saltydawg

saltydawg Active Member

Another nice one today and again 9" herring in it's stomach

9. hambone

hambone Well-Known Member

Lots of good sized bait balls? Time to pull some plugs!

10. Bugs

Bugs Active Member

Where was that saltydawg? Flats or in front of town?

11. rockdog

rockdog Well-Known Member

Man....the seal problem off the waterfront is ridiculous. Forget the wolf cull, we need a seal cull. Not because I got sealed 3 times today, but they are following fish into the rivers and all that. I don't need to list all the issues dealing with seals, it's all been talked about before......just saying.

12. saltydawg

saltydawg Active Member

Hopefully the Transient Killer Whales in the San Juans and Puget Sound will come clean up some of the seals in our area after they finish up down there.

Bugs -pm sent. I'll be on the water tomorrow pm.

13. Sangstercraft

Sangstercraft Well-Known Member

Im surprised the transients havent taken care of the seal problem.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2015
  14. GDW

GDW Active Member

Why wait for the transients to do your dirty work? It just takes one well placed swing O the gaffe. Start with the ones at the ones at the dock you can bait them right in

15. saltydawg

saltydawg Active Member

Nice One.
    This would go over especially well at Oak Bay Marina. Start swinging your seal club in front of the kids feeding them herring tid bits.
    Your big chance to be on the 6 o'clock news.

16. scott craven

scott craven Well-Known Member

you gotta be kidding ?? :confused:

17. Humpbubble

Humpbubble Active Member

Pulled 6 home from the flats after three afternoons..all on the sitka spoon again.
    Nice half hour visit from the feds during prime time yesterday.which resulted in a ticket with "all good" as the offence.
    During which we wrapped my buddys line in the kicker.i was precariously dangaling out the stern cleaning the mess as the po po cruised away..serve and protect like.

18. Humpbubble

Humpbubble Active Member

Oh..snuffy and i have a understanding.he meets me at my slip and gets his salmon cuts there.

19. hambone

hambone Well-Known Member

Isthe Esquimalt anglers ramp good to go at all stages of the tide? Any surprises I need to know about?

20. rockdog

rockdog Well-Known Member

Should be fine. I've never had any issues in my 19ft. I guess it would depend on your boat.