Victoria 2014 Reports

Got invited on a charter on Blue Wolf yesterday and Roy conjured up some nice hali's including this 75lber measuring just under 133cm, about as big a halibut your allowed to keep these days. Thanks for the invite Gord and good time Roy.

Attachments

• Blue Wolf 75lb 2014.jpg
    Blue Wolf 75lb 2014.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 992
  • Blue Wolf 2 2014.jpg
    Blue Wolf 2 2014.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 988
Out today from about 7 - 1. Went too early - the hard ebb had me dragging anchor and surface-fishing halibut lines till 9. Stupid me. Things settled down shortly after but only managed dogs south of Constance. Saw a lot of boats on the east side of the hump - hope they did well!

Think I'm back at it tomorrow - this weather is too beautiful not to get out!

Great day on the water for boating...not so great for salmon fishing. Went out and worked the water front and over to beacon hill, with no love but a little ling. Can back across the front and out in front of Sax point...still no love. Should have run out to Constance...man it was a nice day out!

First day this year where I wish I didn't have the long johns on!

Got out yesterday anchored off constance. Managed to bring up a 30 lbs hali and approx 150 lbs octopuss. Released the octopus...Does anyone have info on those like can you bring them in the boat, are they dangerous, how do you kill them. Friend of mine wanted it to pickle but I wasnt informed about them enough. Ok, I was a little terrified. Would love to eat one of those though. thanks in advance

150 lbs Octopus?!!! Thats amazing! Very very tough animal to kill and actually contain portions of their "brain" in each limb, the reason for difficulty of killing them. Just takes a lot of time in my experience, but I've seems some of the native in Haida Gwaii do it real quick! But they are real good to eat! deep fried with a little spicy batter…!

Some fishermen use octopus parts as bait for halibut. I am surprised some halibuts like to eat those parts.

We had 4 lines down. Salmon Bellies, Herring, Mackerall and Octopuss. Got the hali and Octopus from the salmon Bellies

Got my self one the other day not that big 150 lber would have been about 20 ft long if not bigger...IMO

I net them then flip them over get a knife and circle the beak removing it then get out the fish bags and start whacking off tentacles and put into the bags (2 in each bag) and SEAL it up good. then comes the mantle you have to skin it out and take out the guts messy job and you need a very sharp knife for all of this...

Good luck Wolf

Octopus sizes, and use.

"Managed to bring up a 30 lbs hali and approx 150 lbs octopuss. Released the octopus…"

I was thinking that's an above average octopus--they are one of my favourite critters--so I looked it up.
From National Geographic
"The size record is held by a specimen that was 30 feet (9.1 meters) across and weighed more than 600 pounds (272 kilograms). Averages are more like 16 feet (5 meters) and 110 lbs (50 kilograms)."

(I would also be tempted to keep one for bait, and to eat---marinated octopus is delicious!)
Apparently, they can grow much larger--cool catch! How was the fight?

Happy fishing!
Thanks to Wolf also for the advice.

Not my weekend apparently. Out again today and no hali, hardly any dogfish either - fished around 10:30 - 4pm near Constance. 0 for 2. A little hard to take as I'm pretty sure most others were having success; must be bananas hidden on board. At least it was two of the most beautiful days I've ever had on the water! Gotta get on the good foot next time out!

Not my weekend apparently. Out again today and no hali, hardly any dogfish either - fished around 10:30 - 4pm near Constance. 0 for 2. A little hard to take as I'm pretty sure most others were having success; must be bananas hidden on board. At least it was two of the most beautiful days I've ever had on the water! Gotta get on the good foot next time out!

Check everyone's underwear onboard, fruit of the looms are bad too might as well have a banana in their pocket. Too bad you never got anything

"Managed to bring up a 30 lbs hali and approx 150 lbs octopuss. Released the octopus…"

I was thinking that's an above average octopus--they are one of my favourite critters--so I looked it up.
From National Geographic
"The size record is held by a specimen that was 30 feet (9.1 meters) across and weighed more than 600 pounds (272 kilograms). Averages are more like 16 feet (5 meters) and 110 lbs (50 kilograms)."

(I would also be tempted to keep one for bait, and to eat---marinated octopus is delicious!)
Apparently, they can grow much larger--cool catch! How was the fight?

Happy fishing!
Thanks to Wolf also for the advice.

Maybe it was not 150 lbs then. Sure felt like it. The legs were about 4 - 5 feet long and the hood/head thingy was about 2 feet in diameter. No fight whatsoever. Just dead weight up from 180 feet. Arm is still a little sore. Thanks again for the tip Wolf. So I shouldnt be scared #@$$#less of these things then. they wont shoot acid ink at me and come at me and grab my face and stick me with its beak???

fished constance from 9-12.. watched others pull in some fish but none for us.. lots of boats out there today

Last edited by a moderator:
OH they will attach to you on your arm hands etc but they dont have anything to hurt you with just suckers feels kinda weird if you dont like SCI FI well that may freak you out a bit LOL LOL some release the ink and some dont usually they do that near the surface.the beak is really not visable its like the video says wheres its "butthole" LOL
its kinda hidden on the underside where all the tentacles meet up...
All i can say is they are a neat creature but i have lots of bait for the year now....

Good luck wolf

@westburg: Seems you caught the same octo I had last fall. Same dimensions only that I figured it to be around 50#...lol. And lucky you to bring it up from 180' - I did from 300'. How tought does that make me, he? lol

Took the boys out yesterday and we were rewarded with a little hali and a nice pacific cod! Go figure! First decent Pcod in the JDF for me in all those years. And this is the 3rd or 4th report of them within the last 2 weeks. What is going on? Anyone else had an encounter with them?

All in all a beautiful day out there. Such a stunning place we live here! Here a few pics, maybe a few recognize some boats. Cheers!

1.jpg

2.jpg

94.jpg

91.jpg

6.jpg

Did some laps in front of Esquimalt today. My first skunking there in a good long while. Saw some action on the sounder but was unable to scratch even one up today.

Still though, better than working. ;)

Back