Victoria 2014 Reports

Nice one Andrew. Is that one of your spoons with some glow tape or something on it? How long a leader are you using with that spoon? I'm pretty new to this site, but I gotta order me some of them!

Way to go on a nice winter spring. Perfect eating fish.

Franko

MILF (Man, I Love Fishing)

Out today off the Victoria Harbour and anchored up for Hali in a friends boat and did not see any other boats. Rather bouncy anchored up in the waves and slop. Had one wave over the bow, up the windshield and under the edge of the canvas dumping salt water in our laps. Lots of very large kelp rafts and logs and wood to be avoided. Lots of Doggies and one Hali about 18 lbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice one Andrew. Is that one of your spoons with some glow tape or something on it? How long a leader are you using with that spoon? I'm pretty new to this site, but I gotta order me some of them!

Way to go on a nice winter spring. Perfect eating fish.

Franko

MILF (Man, I Love Fishing)

It is one of my spoons. This one in particular has glow tape on both sides with a hit of moonjelly thrown in. 40' leader and going fast. annnnd on a turn.

This may just be my poor memory, but I don't seem to recall the classic USA winter springs having eggs this time of year. Perhaps it's an early Fraser fish? Birkenhead springs head up the river January/February; perhaps one of them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Took out Andrew P and his son for a halibut hunt. Tried a new spot off constance and it was pretty slow. 4 dogs and 1 hali after the turn. Hali was exciting though. First harpoon attempt didn't work, so do it went, and next try we elected for the gaff. 40lb hali in the boat. My biggest hali in a few years. Stoked.
Salmon belly with a glow skirt.

10614143_10154792831505133_5422736613832136384_n.jpg

10454297_10154792831500133_4284803269284573237_n.jpg

Nice hali Dave! Not got out for hali at all this year.

Gonna try for the winter chinook in a couple of weeks though..........

c2030045d47a192cf42c1b70ff32f20e.jpg

Good day at border today. Flat calm, no tides and the fish gods were smiling We hooked 5 halibut and about 40 doggies. Lots of action. That one in the pic came in at last year's slot. All fish caught on misc. pieces of leftover salmon. Herring stayed in the bucket. Started at noon and got home for dinner. Now relaxing...good day.

Way to go....Got some nice Hali there. Don't catch all of them...LoL :)

Back