Victoria 2013 Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got out at noon today with GDW fished Constance for couple of hours lost 2 fish near the boat and landed one about 7lbs. Gay Pride and Purple Haze hootchy were the ticket. Going to give it another go a little earlier tomorrow.

Fishing was good out there we were really late and had 3 good ones hit in short order. As reported weeks ago the fish I cleaned was STUFFED with 3-4 inch herring - explains why the bite went off.

I went out to Constance Bank this morning for a couple of hours to trying out some 5" Tomic plugs (glow!)that I picked up. I was a bit skeptical about how they would work for winter springs, but they seemed to work just fine. Had 3 salmon to the boat in an hour and a half out there. I took a sharpie marker to one of the plugs to do a bit of dotted back. It got 2 of 3 salmon. The other one was straight glow. It was a relatively good fight with no flasher and just straight plug off the downrigger. Let go a few cod also. I took one 7-8lb home and a good size dungee from the crab trap(and a handful of undersized males).

All in all a good couple hours on the water. There were some harbour porposes foraging on the bank. Inside the stomach of the salmon was a 4" herring and a squid.

IMG_2485.jpgIMG_2486.jpgIMG_2487.jpgIMG_2488.jpgIMG_2489.jpgIMG_2490.jpg

Good job with the plugs, it was much slower today on the inside
with only 3 small fish in 3-1/2 hours .
Crabbing was a bust.

Fished Constance again today, very slow saw a few small ones landed.We also managed to scrap up one small 3-4 lber on a Gay Pride hoochie. Nice day on the water though, smoothed right out around noon.

I hit the waterfront from 1130-4. Trolled all to way to clover, and spent some time in front of the breakwater as well. Sounded quite a few, but not a sniff for me. Great day on the water, with a dozen or so boats out there.

Got an invite down island from Mr. Mike and went out thrus about 10 am to constance bank. Seven other boats and a few hungry seals. Managed our limit in the boat by 3pm. Lost one to the seal as did others plus had a few shakers. Great water and weather all day. Fished in about 110ft of water with about 155ft on the downrigger trying to stay on the bottom with 10lbs balls. Thanks Mike lets do it again soon.

Bit of a late post but fished constance last Sunday, the 13th. Took a few German exchange students out so they could experience some real West Coast fun! Only managed one to the boat but they had a great time regardless. Crabbing however was quite productive for us off the gravel pit, easy limit of nice Dungys.

Cooked it all up fresh for them; hope I crossed a few lines off some bucket lists!

.facebook_-1268191252.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Fished the flats for 2 hrs this morning, one shaker released. Went to Constance and in no time had 2 in the boat 7 and 5 lbs respectavly. Purple haze hoochie at 110 ft. Crabbing was awesome sorted through many to limit out.

out today 800-1230. worked the harbour mouth and all the way to clover point and back staying on the bottom dragging squirts and coyote spoons. 4 small shakers was the total. should of figured it was going to be slow as i did not see 1 seal!. wind was cold, but eventually warmed up once the fog lifted and the sun came out

bruce

We had the same results on Saturday off Clover, all released with the biggest only about 4lbs.
A distinct shortage of bait would appear to be a problem.
the fish we have cleaned this season all had empty stomachs.

5000 posts is one thing but when most of them are helpful to others its really quite an accomplishment Congrats Scott

Quick question......any information on when the hali season will start for recreational fisherman ? In the past has it been March 1st ? Thanks. Cloud

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back