Vic/Sooke charter for sept/Oct

JWS

Crew Member
Hi all,

Im new to the area and looking for a charter for mid/late sept. I have friends visiting mid sept that would like to fish, and my old man will be in town to help with some house renos the end of sept/early oct. Will there still be coho around at that point? Whats the hali fishing like late sept/early oct?

Can anyone recommend a good charter/guide that will put us on the fish?

Thanks!

There are a number of good guides in Sooke, some of them post reports here. As for Coho, as long as the weather holds the first week of Oct is the best week of the whole year as they typically lift the restriction Oct. 1st. and let us keep one of the big ones. If you are not flying around at warp nine looking for Ho's you may also pick up the odd Chum, which are great fighters and there are increasing numbers of small resident hatchery feeder Chinook that can be found all year long. There are very few large transiting Chinook by mid Sept as most are past us but the occasional gold one still gets caught.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Im new to the area and looking for a charter for mid/late sept. I have friends visiting mid sept that would like to fish, and my old man will be in town to help with some house renos the end of sept/early oct. Will there still be coho around at that point? Whats the hali fishing like late sept/early oct?

Can anyone recommend a good charter/guide that will put us on the fish?

Thanks!
try Blue Wolf

Coho show up in good numbers around the middle of Sept just as the big springs are dwindling off. You are allowed 2 hatchery coho each until Sept 3oth. Usually we see that change on Oct 1st to 4 coho per day of which 1 may be wild. I believe this year that as off October 1st the limit will be any two coho, wild or hatch. I've had Coho up to 23 pounds and have lost another at the boat that was bigger. So depending on the year there are some beauties to be had. Most are 6 to 12 pounds Thanks CIVANO for the plug!

Call Elden Smith from The Crab Shack, great guy and a beauty of a boat, 250-893-2722 :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back