Vancouver Saltchuck?

quote:Originally posted by fishin_magician

quote:Originally posted by Brisco

Any crab left in the harbour?

Yep. There's plenty of crab in the harbour, problem is that most are under the minimum size limit..and if you hit it right, you can get some keepers.

There were 40 boats along West Van today and I know of just 2 decent springs caught for all those boats. 1 was taken by a moocher at first light this morning. Otherwise, there are a ton of jacks over there which are no doubt net pen returns. I wouldn't be surprised if some of these jacks have been hooked a few times over the last week!!!

Definitely lots of Chum jumping all over the Bay. :D

Are the chums not biting? I could sure use some for Indian candy.

At some point this summer, I once again became hooked on fishing. It might have been when a seal skillfully grabbed my first good fish of the year off of Bowen or it might have been when I did an equally competent job of losing my second. No question though, by the end of July, I had bitten hard and fishing became a regular part of the weekend activities for the last part of the summer and for the early part of the fall. I found myself regularly checking this forum, regularly speaking to people who obviously knew how to fish the local waters far better than I and regularly yearning to pursue and do battle with the elusive salmon. Notably, I found myself having greater success than I have previously had locally and I know that the information provided on this forum contributed to that.

Having said that, I was a little sad yesterday morning … with the pending threat of rain and the last few large fish ready to head up the river, I was sad to see the late summer, early fall spring fishing season drawing to a close. The fish gods must have sensed something and yesterday they managed to grant me one last battle at the mouth of the Capilano and, in the process, to set the hook of my fishing obsession even more firmly than before. The last fish of the year was the best fish of the year and I will now go quietly into the winter knowing full well that I will be anxiously waiting for the (next) spring.

My thanks to all for sharing your expertise and I hope that one day I can become a net contributor to the knowledge base in this forum.

Are you a poet or something ? Spit it out, how big, how deep, what did you catch it on? Most of all, congrats on the fish and see you out on the water! :D

Brisco - that was the poetic ode to the fish gods in hope that they will grant me more next year.

It was 38 lbs, running a couple feet off bottom with an anchovy. It was one of those mornings where luck vs. (lack of) skill prevailed and each anchovy had a near perfect roll. It was the 4th hit to release off of the downriggers (all before 9:30am) and the only one to stick. My 3rd 30+ in the last couple months and the best fight by a long shot. It will be the perfect way to end the season ... that is, if I can resist the temptation to head back out.

quote:Originally posted by Teja

It was 38 lbs, ... It will be the perfect way to end the season ... that is, if I can resist the temptation to head back out.
I understand, I agree and unfortunately the temptation is irrisistable!
I thought my season was over a couple of weeks ago but there's still gas in the boat and less boats on the water. :)

Any feeder fish around lately? Any reports? Kinda getting the bug although its been a little chilly.Cheers, Jimbo

There have been quite a few quality fish around the past few weeks. Vancouver harbour is coughing up quite a few in the 18-23 inch range...one guy I know had six that size on Wednesday....lots smaller as well.

It's hit and miss from day to day....you have to hit it right. Can't complain about the water though, it has been as flat as glass for a long time!

Largest fish in the Vancouverish area I have seen taken was taken 2 weeks ago and went 25 lbs with another lost about the same size....and there were a few from 12 to 22 lbs from there as well on the same tide.

Got to find the bait, find the bait and you should be in for action.

Best lures have been spoons behind flashers in:

Green Glow
Purple Haze
Half and Half Brass/Chrome
Half and Half Copper/Brass
Green/Silver
Mongoose Green/Yellow
Army Truck

Get git 'em! :D

Vancouver has a winter spring fishery which offers plenty of action, it's just interesting to see how so many people don't get out and FISH!

Sounds good, are we talkin the back side, waterfall etc?Might be waitin a bit for some size in the harbour. Thanks, Jimbo.

quote:Originally posted by Jimbo

Sounds good, are we talkin the back side, waterfall etc?Might be waitin a bit for some size in the harbour. Thanks, Jimbo.

Action heating up some more... getting quite consistent now...

http://www.bonchovy.com/blog/2009/12/vancouver-harbour-reportdecember-13/

http://www.bonchovy.com/blog/2009/12/winter-chinook-salmon-reportdec-15/

If anyone reading this thread is interested in heading out fishing with Bon Chovy, I know a few of the guys on this board who headed out with them last year and had an absolute BLAST!

:D

There have been quite a few quality fish around the past few weeks. Vancouver harbour is coughing up quite a few in the 18-23 inch range...one guy I know had six that size on Wednesday....lots smaller as well.

These fish are only 3-5 lbs ??
No offence, but we usually release this size

Don't worry RS
They aren't keeping them I'm sure, minimum in area 28 and 29 is 62cm (24") for springs.

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

These fish are only 3-5 lbs ??
No offence, but we usually release this size

Yep, they are released..out pops the hook..and away they go.

A couple of weeks ago there were more than a half dozen hooked in 3 hours between 12 and 25 lbs. Can't complain about that!

Given the limited efforts out there right now...a bit of exploring and a bit more time may pay off with a couple of very nice fish.

December always coughs up a few in the twenties..and late January/early February has produced the odd mid thirties/mid forties. It has been a few years since that happened around Vancouver at that time of year...mainly because fishing efforts have decreased..but I believe there are some out there to be found. Those large fish were found offshore as they were travelling. Maybe worth a look here... if the weather holds..

More time on the water=more fish on the lines.
:D

Back