Vancouver Chinook Classic Catch + Release Derby - August 20 + 21, 2016

van_chinook_logo-2015_bw_nodate-copy-300x221.jpg

5th Annual Vancouver Chinook Classic - August 21 and 21, 2016

It's back! The Vancouver Chinook Classic is the premier Catch and Release Salmon Fishing Event hosted annually at the new Pier 73 Marina and Yacht Club at the Pacific Gateway Hotel. The event awards the largest cash prize of any fishing derby in Vancouver and is always a good time!

It's a great way to spend 2-days out on the water and try your hand at winning $25,000 in cash and prizes. With an entry fee of only $300 per angler you simply can't go wrong!

Check out all of the details for this year's tournament and download your registration form at http://www.pier73yachtclub.com/vancouver-chinook-classic/

Looks like I'll be in it too.....but if fishing is slow and with my "reputation" on the line I may NOT be donning a pink hat and stay 'incognito'. :p ;) :D

Nice to hear @Pippen. I just signed up this week and will be reaching out to some others to get them involved as well. I'm confident the fishing will be good by then.... even heard of a few reports that some decent springs are being taken off the mouth of the Fraser already... tho those guys don't post in the Vancouver reports section. :)

Just a quick bump.....anyone else entering? If there are some guys around, perhaps connect for a beer after on Saturday and ***** about the lack of fish. :D:D:D

Sweet! look forward to attending again this year!

Hey @tincan .....pop by and say hi at some point. I will be on the "Team Milltown" boat....28' Northwest. May not be able to stick around on Saturday evening due to a 50th wedding anniversary party I am "to attend", but trying to play my cards right. ;)

**Edit....95% sure I'll be staying out on Sat night at Pacific Gateway Hotel.

Last edited:
Bait is brining.....beer is chilling.....Hawkins Cheezies are in the grub bag.....now having a cold one figuring out what 'game face' to wear tomorrow.

My old man was over checking us in today so not sure exactly where we are on the dock but we will be in a big grady. What you fishin outta? And as for staying the night , sure am! See you at the rally point.

28' Northwest (aluminum) that says Milltown Marine Services on the side.....and should have an idiot with a pink hat on board. ;)

19.8 lbs....nice guys who led with that fish from earlier on Saturday.

It was dead out there Sunday, think I only heard one radio call to weigh a fish til the last 15 mins.

We bonked an eater but not a top 3. Some ho's and smaller springs for us and buddy lost a good one right at the boat on Sat am at Sandheads in some 'sporty' conditions. It coulda been THE fish! :confused::oops::(

This looks like a lot of fun and now that it's down to $300.00, I think I'll see if I can add a crew member and do it next year. Did many of the guys stay at the hotel? With the Marina being new moorage was easy. I wonder if they'll be able to host it there next year.

19.8 lbs....nice guys who led with that fish from earlier on Saturday.

It was dead out there Sunday, think I only heard one radio call to weigh a fish til the last 15 mins.

We bonked an eater but not a top 3. Some ho's and smaller springs for us and buddy lost a good one right at the boat on Sat am at Sandheads in some 'sporty' conditions. It coulda been THE fish! :confused::oops::(

We had a dead slow day until the last 10 mins when we called one in, 65' bell buoy , swam right for the boat thought it was a low teener until we saw it 10 feet from the boat, problem was it saw us too and took off on a screaming run, 30 seconds into the run , gone. Leader chafed and broke right above the teaser, fresh 30lb hadnt seen a fish all day. Must have been throat hooked. Hard to tell forsure but looked to be a honest 20 - 24 lbs, bit of a heart breaker! What a great weekend regardless, fishing was steady all day on 12 - 15 lb fish for us on Saturday .

Back