Vancouver Boat Show Jan 17-21st

Went on Thursday,picked up a few things at Chandlers,Wanted to see the new Monaro 23,pretty disappointed,alot better boats for $120K.Still pretty hard to beat the Grady's for fit,finish and value I think in comparison.I loved the 228 and 235. A lot of new aluminum vendor's and the quality seems to be improving.The Boston Whaler 315 was about $430K and the 34 was $730K,I don't see how they can justify the $300K difference.Both are crazy price's to me.Stopped and talked to Andrew at the AP booth,lot's of promising looking new colours,I'm a fan.The traffic in Vancouver is nut's,I don't know how people handle it on a daily basis,there was a head on crash at the tunnel as someone went the wrong way heading south into oncoming traffic,it looked bad.I'll never leave this fantastic island and hope not too many people discover how great we have it over here.

Last edited:
Changed plans to a Saturday showing.
Looking to pick up a few odds and ends for this season WCVI
Looking for a foul weather suit? I can help if you are size large-ish and only a few hun

Definitely some deals to be had! Just got back from the show. Some good deals at the 'credible' ;) tackle shops being PN&T as well as Harbour Chandler....and the novel thing is guys in the booths wanted to talk to you!!! Let's just say the booth from the store near Granville Island and south Richmond....couldn't be more useless. :rolleyes:

PN&T had buy 3 flashers at $12.99 get a 4th free. Some good mark downs on other tackle. HC had a wide variety of specials.....thankfully I came out of both booths relatively unscathed in the pocket book. :p

Only thing I can say about that "other" retailer previously referenced.....they have good mark downs on Mustang inflatables. Not sure how their regular pricing aligns or if it's just to make the show specials look better but most were at a minimum 1/3rd off. (but don't ask for any assistance ;))

@Andrew P Buddy....your spoons look awesome! Was going to introduce myself but you had a few waiting to talk to you and we were moving through the show pretty quickly.

Also......if you were looking at a 31' Grady....you can upgrade to the 34' @133K per foot!;)
Can;t speak to the South Granville store but the south Richmond store (Barrys Bait) have always had time to answer any question I may have and are quite friendly from my experience. To each their own I guess.

Can;t speak to the South Granville store but the south Richmond store (Barrys Bait) have always had time to answer any question I may have and are quite friendly from my experience. To each their own I guess.

Don’t worry. He’s not talking about Berry’s. Go further south to the water

You mean Nikka? They are no longer.

Thinking Steveston Marine ?

@Derby has it right. Berrys is not at the boat show and I like their store. @terrin , if you reread my post I was speaking of one retailer that has locations in Vancouver and south Richmond. ;)

Just to the point...buddy was looking for some flares and had a couple questions. The guy wouldn't even get out of his chair to chat, told my buddy to go read the packaging....which was in a locked glass case. :confused::confused::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:
@Derby has it right. Berrys is not at the boat show and I like their store. @terrin , if you reread my post I was speaking of one retailer that has locations in Vancouver and south Richmond. ;)

Just to the point...buddy was looking for some flares and had a couple questions. The guy wouldn't even get out of his chair to chat, told my buddy to go read the packaging....which was in a locked glass case. :confused::confused::rolleyes::rolleyes:
They also have a store in Langley lol:p

definitely Steveston, lol. went to the show today and can see what he means about getting help at that booth, bought some spoons from Andrew and had a chance to talk a bit, no one else at the booth, grabbed a few

Been in there a 100's of times. Probably spent tens of thousands of $. The people there have no clue who I am nor care. They couldn't give a ****. Great business model though. Treat clients like **** and mark up everything 100%+. Not many business's can do that and survive. Where do I sign up.

I was at the show yesterday for the afternoon, I can definitely 2nd Pippens experience with Steveston as they were less than keen on helping and answering any questions when I was at their booth yesterday, I moved on and didn't buy anything from them. It was fairly slow in the early afternoon so it was great to be able to chat with people at the other booths and get the info you are looking for.

it was nice to meet Andrew at AP tackle, nice guy, his spoons look great and am looking forward to trying out the ones I bought, I suspect I'll be ordering more from him. Harbour Chandler had a great set up with some great deals as usual, I think they should consider opening a store in the lower mainland. I like Berry's too but it would be nice to see them show up at the show, pretty sad when a store form the island comes over and shows up and can offer the lowest prices on many things, not that I don't want them to show up, just wish they had a store here, lol, great knowledgeable staff. PNT was great also as usual, bought some flashers from them, no idea why, I think I have enough to re side my house with them, lol. just couldn't pass up the great deal they offered.

It was also great to catch up with some of the guides I used to guide and fish with.

best of all the show got me stoked to get out and do some fishing, crabbing and prawning

PNT was great also as usual, bought some flashers from them, no idea why, I think I have enough to re side my house with them, lol. just couldn't pass up the great deal they offered.

Haha.....In the same boat...I did the same and think I may have bought triples for flashers I already have. (Some still in their packaging) :p

I was at the show yesterday for the afternoon, I can definitely 2nd Pippens experience with Steveston as they were less than keen on helping and answering any questions when I was at their booth yesterday, I moved on and didn't buy anything from them. It was fairly slow in the early afternoon so it was great to be able to chat with people at the other booths and get the info you are looking for.

it was nice to meet Andrew at AP tackle, nice guy, his spoons look great and am looking forward to trying out the ones I bought, I suspect I'll be ordering more from him. Harbour Chandler had a great set up with some great deals as usual, I think they should consider opening a store in the lower mainland. I like Berry's too but it would be nice to see them show up at the show, pretty sad when a store form the island comes over and shows up and can offer the lowest prices on many things, not that I don't want them to show up, just wish they had a store here, lol, great knowledgeable staff. PNT was great also as usual, bought some flashers from them, no idea why, I think I have enough to re side my house with them, lol. just couldn't pass up the great deal they offered.

It was also great to catch up with some of the guides I used to guide and fish with.

best of all the show got me stoked to get out and do some fishing, crabbing and prawning
Don't get me started on Steveston. I've spent THOUSANDS at their Vancouver store. Still seems though that every time I go in there and try and get some help I'm "bothering" the staff. The younger, keener guys in the fishing area are ok but the old curmudgeons in the back are a real treat. Location location location I guess :mad:

You guys who buy from steveston should just call chandler order from there over the phone shipped that day via FedEx so in hand next day. Way way better pricing !!!!
X2
Their website is also good. Ordered some electronics online and it arrived in 2 days. Excellent customer service and easy exchange. I too wish they had a store in van.

X2
Their website is also good. Ordered some electronics online and it arrived in 2 days. Excellent customer service and easy exchange. I too wish they had a store in van.
Yep if you don’t see it on their website call em cause lots of stuff is not on the site

I went after work yesterday afternoon. Bought some gear from HC and chatted with a few guys including two SAR teams. I wish there was more that our municipal governments could do to sustain them. A whole separate topic though. Bought some new AP spoons and chatted with Andrew. Great selection of spoons, buddy. Now I have 7 of those AP spoons :D
In my opinion, the show has lost its charm. It’s becoming the same format and vendors year after year and I’m finding it a bit boring. Even the seminars are becoming the repeats of previous years’ topics, some times delivered by the same guy. Hopefully, they can bring some change to this great annual show.

Back