Vancouver Area Report

R

Rodbreaker

The PREDATOR'S PEN Date: July 24th/2004.

An update of the local saltwater fishing scene for Vancouver To : Saltwater Angler

By: David Korsch (Predator Charters)
E-mail: davek@dccnet.com Web Site: www.predatorcharters.com
Phone: (604) 329 - 8642 Fax: (604) 886 - 1928

Hello Fellow Anglers

Sockeye are now open off the mouth of the Fraser River! It is about time they opened it, and hopefully we will stay open for a minimum of three to four weeks. Unfortunately, just because they opened it up, it doesn't mean we will catch any of them yet. The early runs of Sockeye are not good biters, so we could go out and pound the waters during the next week, but we would likely come away with nothing (maybe the odd Chinook though).

Remember, when fishing for Sockeye, use a ton of dummy flashers in addition to the flashers on your rods, never bring up all downriggers at the same time, and do not stop the boat when you hook a fish. Sockeye are an extremely schooling species, so you want to get some to follow your "school" of flashers. Once they start biting, you often will get several in quick succession if you keep trolling and hold the fish in your flashers. Trolling between 30 and 60 feet would be a good place to start, but they can be as deep as 100' at times.

From what I understand, we should remain open until about mid-August (and we can hope they keep it open a bit longer). This should give us at least a week of good fishing (and possibly quite a bit more than that as we have encountered biters in past years as early as the last couple/few days of July). Realistically, I would expect that decent fishing should begin to occur sometime in the first few days of August....especially down by Sandheads....and continue until they close it. Lets hope for calm weather at that time! One note: Sandheads trips will require a minimum 6 hour charter, due to the cost of fuel and the long run required (almost 45 minutes). When (if???) the fish get up near the North Arm of the Fraser, or in Vancouver Harbour, the usual 5 hour trip will be sufficient. I am starting to get booked around the time the Sockeye fishery should be good, so check below for available dates/times if you are interested in getting out for some Sockeye with me.

The Coho fishery off West Vancouver has had some pretty decent days over the past week or two, but there have also been a few stinkers mixed in as well. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for the differences, so I guess that is just "fishing". Many of the Coho are still on the smaller side (2 to 3 lbs), but there are some really nice ones that top 6 lbs as well - we landed a 10 lb hatchery this past Tuesday!!! In addition to the Coho, there have been quite a few Chinook ranging up to 30 lbs mixed in as well. We can modify our techniques a bit away from Coho in order to get a better chance at hitting one of these larger fish (fishing deeper, using meduim whole herring etc...), but the numbers of fish are not like the fall Chinook fishery, so don't expect to get them every time.

Seems a high slack (+/- and hour or two) is the best time for them up by the Capilano. 25 to 45 feet seem best for the Coho, though when on the Dundarave flats, you will be fishing in about 30 feet of water or less, so keep your lines just off the bottom. Anchovies are working well, but small white (or other pale colour) hootchies, 3" Coyote spoons in pink/white, and the new 1.5" Gypsy spoons (pink scale, army truck, 50/50 green/glow) seem to work better than bait at times (especially the small pink spoons).

The Chinook fishery in upper Howe Sound has yet to get rolling. The hot dry weather may be contributing to the delay of their arrival, or maybe it is just modifying their migration/holding patterns. A couple days ago, I did encounter the DFO employees beach seining brood stock for the Tenderfoot hatchery, and may have discovered a new location to fish in the process. It is further up the sound than where we worked last summer, and again a 6 hour trip would be required for this area. The fish they are getting are VERY bright, averaging in the mid to high twenties, and they figured it was still a bit early in the run. This makes me think the fish I encountered in mid-July last year were the exception to the regular pattern. I still believe it will get good down off Porteau Cove very shortly, and it could provide some good to great action during the last week of July and early August. Without the Pinks of last year, we should get a much better picture of how long these fish stick around into August.

As always, feel free to pass this information along to any associates whom may appreciate the report. If you have any questions, or wish to book a charter, e-mail me davek@dccnet.com), or call me at (604) 329 - 8642.

Tight Lines,
David Korsch
Predator Charters
(604) 329 - 8642
davek@dccnet.com
www.predatorcharters.com

that's why there's a warranty!

Back