Vancouver Area Report

R

Rodbreaker

The PREDATOR'S PEN Date: April 9th/2004.

An update of the local saltwater fishing scene for Vancouver To : Saltwater Angler

By: David Korsch (Predator Charters)
E-mail: davek@dccnet.com Web Site: www.predatorcharters.com
Phone: (604) 329 - 8642 Fax: (604) 886 - 1928

Hello Fellow Anglers

Spring is DEFINITELY in the air. Wow, what weather we have been having! It is hard to believe at this time of year. The evenings remind me of September (a bit cooler than the middle of the summer) except for all the robins chirping. The incredible part is that the winds have been absent, and the waters of Georgia St. have been absolutely flat calm most days....too bad we cannot rely on such weather all the time.

In addition to the great weather, the Southern Bowen Chinook fishery has started!!! Catches out about 4 miles off the south end of Bowen over the past few days have ranged from decent to absolutely great. One associate boated 9 legal fish today (keeping 4 from 12 to 15 lbs), and another boated a 29 lb plus two in the teens. Pretty decent fishing from any point of view.

I held off about a month between newsletters this time...a longer stretch than usual. The very warm spring weather started our spring plankton blooms early this year, and unfortunately that killed the winter fishery for the latter portion of March. It was also a bit early for the springtime fisheries to start, so we had a stretch of a couple weeks or so with some real doldrums.

Fortunately, we are coming out of them now, and it looks as if we may have a pretty good spring fishery off Southern Bowen and in at the Hole in the Wall. In fact, the Hole has been producing quite well for the last two to three weeks. I initially thought it was a bit of a "flash in the pan" when it started (I don't expect great things from there in March), but it has steadily become more consistent and has been producing very nice fish every day....go figure! I guess I should have put out a newsletter when an associate of mine landed a 30.5 lb fish there about 2 1/2 weeks ago.

The above reports from today indicate to me that the south side of Bowen may have just turned on in a big way. time will tell if we get a few weeks of consistently great catches like we often do out there. Most fish seem to be around the 80 to 120 foot mark, and hootchies seem to be working as well or better than anything. Try green/white, green/glow, army truck, blood and bones hootchies, and if you are using spoons try similar colour combinations. Bait is also always a good bet, so always take out a few anchovies and/or herring.

I have also been doing a few "extended" trips over to the Gulf Islands, and have had good results on all trips (so far). Thrasher Rock was producing quite well back in March, but now the fish have moved in off the "Grande" (just outside the western entrance to Sylva Bay). This calm weather we have been having makes trips across the Strait a possibility as well on most days. Defence Islands has also begun to produce fish, and should continue to getbetter all the time. The large number of big fish in the high teens showing up at Hole in the Wall lately (and for most of the winter) indicate we may have an absolutely fantastic fishery for Squamish fish this year. It is a bit early to try for those Porteau fish yet, but I will have to start looking over that way soon.....you never know when they may start to show up over there.

If this weather pattern continues (the long range forecast shows no changes in sight), and you were thinking of getting out for a bit this spring, it may be the time to try. It is really hard to beat this weather, and it is always more pleasant at this time of year when you are out fishing in warm, sunny, calm conditions. I still pretty open during much of April, so feel free to inquire at short notice about heading out if the weather looks to be staying nice. I am suppose to be finishing up a bit of work at Sewells installing a bit more new moorage space, but if I am busy with charters, I guess they will just have to do it themselves....to bad for them. I am also spending some time clearing land for my wife's cut-flower business, but I think I would rather be out on the boat.

As always, feel free to pass this information along to any associates whom may appreciate the report. If you have any questions, or wish to book a charter, e-mail me davek@dccnet.com), or call me at (604) 329 - 8642.

Tight Lines,
David Korsch
Predator Charters
(604) 329 - 8642
davek@dccnet.com
www.predatorcharters.com

that's why there's a warranty!

Back