Vancouver Area Report

R

Rodbreaker

The PREDATOR'S PEN Date: October 2nd/2003.

An update of the local saltwater fishing scene for Vancouver To : Saltwater Angler

By: David Korsch (Predator Charters)
E-mail: davek@dccnet.com Web Site: www.predatorcharters.com
Phone: (604) 329 - 8642 Fax: (604) 886 - 1928

Hello Fellow Anglers

She's a "keeper"! Our second daughter was born very early Tuesday morning ending much speculation on my part on when she would be born, and how to try to schedule charters around a fast, unsheduled trip to the hospital. Everyone is doing fine, so I guess it is now time to begin concentrating on our fall Chinook fishery off the mouth of the Cap.

I have been out quite a bit over the past week or so, and have been concentrating on fishing the flood tide off the mouth of the Capilano River. Up until Wednesday Oct 1st, this fishery wasn't "hot", but on the 1st things changed dramatically. Boy can it change from one day to the next!!! On Tuesday, I understand the fishing had slowed further from what I had been experiencing the previous few days - it had consistently produced good sized Chinook on all of my charters for about the previous 10 days. Since Saturday September 20th, I had fished the flood at the Cap 10 times with zero skunks - not bad since the run had not really started yet! Most days we only landed 1 or 2 large Chinook, but we also lost at least as many "good" fish as we landed, and there were a fairly large number of Jacks around. !!!. On Wednesday October 1st, I was back out on the water (after taking one day off for my daughter's birth) for a good morning flood tide, and a small afternoon ebb (and start of a flood in the evening), and there were LOTS of new, bright, and LARGER Chinook off the mouth of the river - definitely different fish than were there previously!!!

On the morning flood we had 10 hits, of which AT LEAST 5 were large fish!!! The real difference was that most boats were finally having action. We saw lots of others hooking and/or landing fish for the first time this fall, and there were LOTS of good Chinook signals on the sounder!!! They have definitely arrived!!! Even the afternoon trip (which had generally poor tides to fish) was successful, as we landed a 30 pound fish, and lost two other good fish in addition to a couple of "Jacks". Once the tide began to flood, you could "see" the fish start to move in and all the other boats start to have action...too bad it was a big "group" charter I was on, and we had to leave just as the hot bite was beginning. This next couple of weeks (or longer) should provide some excellent fishing!!! I have found that dragging bottom (in 60 to 120 feet of water) with large whole herring and no flasher to be the most productive way to fish for these Chinook, but a flasher/anchovy combination with a long leader can also work quite well.

Off the mouth of the Fraser River, the run of "whites" did show up late last week (near the new moon - right about when I thought they would). Unfortunately, most anglers were not really able to take advantage of the situation since northwest winds made the waters a bit uncomfortable. The few guys who did get out there were consistently landing 2, 3, or more large Chinook each day (as well as losing at least as many) during the morning bite. By the time the weekend rolled around, the NW winds on Saturday had really picked up, so it was unfishable. On Sunday it was very calm and many tried the area, but the fishing was dead - seems whales had moved through the area during the overnight hours - that's fishing!!!

I would expect that the fishing in this area has picked up again (after a two or three day "lull" created by the whales), and the waters will be a lot less crowded and easier to fish out here than in off the Capilano. Most of the time the 60 foot depth is the most productive (40 to 80 feet), but I understand that some fish were hit as deep as 150' on Sunday or Monday. This could just be the Chinook's reaction to the passing whales, as mature fish are usually not found at these depths. Irregardless, it may be an idea to put out a deeper line for a while. Most fish were hit on Anchovies, and a mixture of short (4') and long (as much as 8') leaders would also be a good idea as there are days when they are quite leader lenght specific. "White" blood and bones hootchies have also worked well in this area this fall, and Gypsy or Coyote spoons in Paddy Wagon, Army Truck, 50/50 green/glow, and Silver Haze can also be very good producers - a couple of years ago these small spoons on 7' leaders were all the fish would hit for several days.

Some of those fish that were off the middle arm of the Fraser late last week should be destined for Vancouver Harbour and the mouth of the Capilano, and I would expect the fish that arrived at the Capilano were some of those that were out there. If October is relatively dry, we should see good fishing right through the month. There have been several fish in the 40's taken over the past few weeks, and I do know of the odd 50 as well.

From what I understand, there are also quite a few Coho up Howe Sound right now, and so a trip up to Furry Creek during a morning when the tides are not the best for the Capilano could be a good option. These Coho are much larger than the ones we catch of West Vancouver (averaging about 8 lbs), and though most are wild and have to be released, I found about 30% to be hatchery fish in past years. We have done quite well with small (1/8 oz) Gibbs Crocs (especially brass/orange), Sil-vex, Mepps, and Reel Pearl spinners. The Crocs were best for casting, and the spinners worked best trolling the shallows (3 to 10 feet of water). The Reel Pearl spinners work especially well for trolling since they have counter-rotating blades, and therfore no line twist.

For those wishing to book a charter, as of right now I have the following time slots open during the next couple of weeks: Friday Oct. 3rd (pm), Saturday Oct. 4th (pm), Sunday Oct. 5th (pm), Monday Oct. 6th (pm), Tuesday Oct. 7th (am, pm), Wednesday Oct. 8th (am, pm) Thursday Oct. 9th (am), Friday Oct. 10th (am, pm). From Monday Oct.13th I am still fairly open, though from Oct 17th to 19th I am booked once each day, and only have one "slot" still open each day.

As always, feel free to pass this information along to any associates whom may appreciate the report. If you have any questions, or wish to book a charter, e-mail me davek@dccnet.com), or call me at (604) 329 - 8642.

Tight Lines,
David Korsch
Predator Charters
(604) 329 - 8642
davek@dccnet.com
www.predatorcharters.com

that's why there's a warranty!

Back