Vancouver Area Report

R

Rodbreaker

The PREDATOR'S PEN Date: September 8th/2003.

An update of the local saltwater fishing scene for Vancouver To : Saltwater Angler

By: David Korsch (Predator Charters)
E-mail: davek@dccnet.com Web Site: www.predatorcharters.com
Phone: (604) 329 - 8642 Fax: (604) 886 - 1928

Hello Fellow Anglers

Here they come!!!!!............. The large fall Chinook are really beginning to arrive now. We have had some decent numbers around over the past two or three weeks, but they have really started to arrive over the past few days. The second largest fish ever landed aboard the Predator was taken this past Saturday evening. This 40 pound "red" was one of three Chinook landed that evening (the others were 11, and 23 lb "reds") , and we lost two other big fish....one was also VERY large........

All the fish I have been landing off the T-10 area (middle arm) have been "reds" so far, but some associates had several "whites" today. The fact I was catching "reds" in September is rather curious since they are usually up the river by the end of August. Maybe the extremely low water levels have kept them out of the river longer than usual, but these fish have been really bright - it is not like they have been waiting off the river mouth for any length of time. It leads me to believe we are seeing a continuation of the generally late returns that have occurred with other runs so far this summer, and we may see some strong, fresh returns of fish well into the latter stages of September and even into October.

During the past few years, the "hot" fishery for the September "whites" has occurred around the New Moon....this year that is not until the 26th. The August "reds" also seemed to follow that pattern, therefore since that moon wasn't until August 27th, it may explain the late abundance of "reds" (and the great bite at the Bell Buoy on the morning of August 30th). The timing of this year's New Moons may explain the strange timing of the Chinook this year, but it would also mean we should be in the "doldrums" between runs. The fact that the fishing is so good just indicates to me that this year's Chinook runs are much stronger than usual, and we should have one of the best falls of Chinook fishing we have ever experienced. The large size of this year's "reds" (averaging about 30 to 50% bigger than normal), should also mean that the 61 pound fish landed in September 1997 should be in jeopardy. I EXPECT the record fish aboard the Predator (41.5 lbs in 2001) to fall this year (maybe more than once...it almost did already with a smaller "August red"!!!). Who is up to the challenge?

Since these fish are just starting to arrive, the flood tide and high slack has been the best producing time to fish for most of the past couple of weeks, but over the past few days, there has also been a good bite on the low slack, and it seems to be improving each day. The past few days have seen the evenings produce the most consistent bite (the tide is presently flooding in the afternoon), but by early next week we should see a better morning bite as there is then a morning flood.

Anchovies have been taking the lion's share of the Chinook so far this fall, but don't discount hootchies or spoons. Sockeye hootchies (small, pink) have caught lots of Chinook in Vancouver Harbour over the past couple of weeks, and there is no reason not to use them when actually targeting Chinook. In addition, white, blood and bones, glow/green, and army truck hootchies have always been good producers for these fall Chinook. Spoons (Gypsy and Coyote) have also been very good producers over the past couple of years, and at times they seemed to be the only thing these Chinook would bite. Try colour combinations of: green/glow, witch, paddy wagon, army truck, silver haze, and blood and bones. Most fish will be in the 30 to 80 foot range.

As of right now I have the following time slots open during the next couple of weeks: Tuesday Sept. 9th (pm), Wednesday Sept. 10th (am, pm), Saturday Sept. 13th (pm), Monday Sept. 15th (am, pm), Tuesday Sept. 16th (pm), Wednesday Sept. 17th (am, pm) Thursday Sept. 18th (pm), Friday Sept. 19th (am, pm), Saturday Sept. 20th (am, pm), Sunday Sept. 21st (am, pm). From September 22nd on I am still fairly open. I will be booking charters on all days, though my wife is very close to giving birth with our second child. Therefore, I may get another guide to take you out aboard my boat, or put you onto another vessel with an associate on very short notice. One way or another I will get you out on your fishing trip (unless you would prefer to postpone for a few days). I will only be taking two or three days off once she goes into labour as the end of the busy season arrives soon enough, and unfortunately there is no two-week paternity leave in my business. Either way, you will get out on your fishing trip(s).

As always, feel free to pass this information along to any associates whom may appreciate the report. If you have any questions, or wish to book a charter, e-mail me davek@dccnet.com), or call me at (604) 329 - 8642.

Tight Lines,
David Korsch
Predator Charters
(604) 329 - 8642
davek@dccnet.com
www.predatorcharters.com

that's why there's a warranty!

Congratulation! You will have two helpers in no time.

cheers,

muchou

cheers,

muchou

cheers,

muchou

cheers,

muchou

Back