Vancouver Area Report

R

Rodbreaker

Hello Fellow Anglers

Sockeye are OPEN!!! As of the morning of Wednesday July 30th, Sockeye are open for retention (limit of 4 per person) in saltwater (the Fraser River may open VERY shortly). Check out the Fisheries Notices that should be posted Wednesday morning, or visit http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca to get the details.

Unfortunately, just because Sockeye are open it doesn't mean that there are any out there to catch. There should be a few around, but this year's runs are about 6 to 8 days later than usual, so I wouldn't really expect to see any good Sockeye fishing off the Fraser River until late in the first week of August at the earliest. Remember, unlike river anglers, we need a large concentration of fish in order to be successful at catching Sockeye out in the saltwater. They have been heading up river for a few weeks now, but I don't believe there are any large schools holding off the mouth yet. It is always possible to run into a decent sized school out off the river mouth, but it large amounts are not holding it is pretty "hit and miss".

Presently there are good numbers of Coho and Pinks off West Vancouver's shoreline (especially between the pink apartments and Caulfield), and there are even a few Chinook mixed in among them. Most are being taken between 15 and 40 feet deep on Anchovies, small pale hootchies, spoons (Gypsy or Coyote), and Apex. The bite and/or best location seems to change a bit each day, but in general most anglers are having decent success.

In Howe Sound, Chinook started schooling up at least a couple of weeks ago, and some very good fishing occurred when they were first located. Since then, the fish have either moved off somewhat, or the schools have become smaller. Some good Chinook fishing continues to be found, but again some searching may be necessary in order to locate a school of them. Surprisingly there have not really been any really large fish taken (other than the 44 lb a few weeks ago at Hole in the Wall) - most are ranging between 15 and 20 pounds. Either the larger fish have yet to be located, or there are very few of them this year.

In addition to the Chinook, good numbers of Pinks are also present in Howe Sound. They tend to be in their usual dense schools, and have been found to be very susceptible to light tackle techniques (spincasting etc...). This makes for great sport, and can be a great way to get kids interested in fishing.

As always, feel free to pass this information along to any associates whom may appreciate the report. If you have any questions, or wish to book a charter, e-mail me davek@dccnet.com), or call me at (604) 329 - 8642.

Tight Lines,
David Korsch
Predator Charters
(604) 329 - 8642
davek@dccnet.com
www.predatorcharters.com

that's why there's a warranty!

Back