Vancouver Area Report from Predator Charters

R

Rodbreaker

The PREDATOR'S PEN Date: December 12th/2003.

An update of the local saltwater fishing scene for Vancouver To : Saltwater Angler

By: David Korsch (Predator Charters)
E-mail: davek@dccnet.com Web Site: www.predatorcharters.com
Phone: (604) 329 - 8642 Fax: (604) 886 - 1928

Hello Fellow Anglers

I guess this will be my last newsletter before Christmas (and likely before the end of the year), so I would like to take this opportunity to wish every one a very Merry Christmas, and best wishes in 2004.

So far, this year's winter fishery has been pretty good, though it has slowed somewhat from its fast start. Those larger than average fish we were seeing in early November seem to have moved on, and most are now falling into the typical 8 to 12 pound range. As I mentioned, the fishing slowed a bit from the fast start, but it is still better than we have seen at this time of year during the past couple of winters, so it really isn't all that slow. Most days one can find a nice legal fish or two, and there have been a few better catches when anglers have hooked into a 1/2 dozen or so (unfortunately, some get away). Remember, winter Chinook are immature, completely chrome, and the best eating Chinook of the year, so what they lack in size is more than made up for by their quality.

The winter fishery typically goes through these cycles where the numbers of Chinook drop off a bit, then increase. The last few years have seen the best fishing of the winter occuring between late December and early March, so I would expect to see the numbers of fish start on an upward trend any day now. The amount of feed in Howe Sound is better than I have seen for several years, so this will also help to attract and hold Chinook in these waters. Maybe we will see some of those days when we get hookups numbering into the double digits like we frequently saw in the mid 90's.

Tomic plugs (4 inch) have been producing very well in the past week. Numbers #171, #413, #50, and #238??) are all good bets, but trying anything with green/yellow or blue/green colour combinations should work well also. Gypsy spoons have also been producing very well in glow army truck, punk skunk, and green/glow, and this could be due to the fact that some small needlefish have moved into Howe Sound, and the Chinook could be targeting these smaller baitfish. Krippled-K's or other small slim spoons would also be a good bet at this time, as would small (4" ) glitter strip, or tiny (herring) strip. The bite also seemed to be centered around the low slack for much of the past couple of weeks, so it will be interesting to see if this continues, or if the fish will begin hitting during other tides.

Like I have the past couple of years, I am offering my Christmas Specials again this year, and I still have a VERY FEW remaining. Most are sold (those that purchaced them in prior years get first dibbs on them), but I believe I still have 2 or 3 that are not spoken for. These Christmas Specials are only available between now and Christmas 2003 (midnight Dec. 25th), and they allow you to "pre-purchase" charters for 2004 at a discounted rate. The sale price is 5% off the old 2003 rate. As an example, a pre-purchased 5 hour charters would be $356.25 + GST instead of $400.00 + GST (a savings of about 11% over the 2004 rates). The savings are good for longer charters as well (eg. 8 hour Gulf Island charters would be $555.75 + GST instead of $625.00 + GST).

Upon receipt of payment, you will receive "Certificates" for the specified charters in 2004 (you DO NOT have to pick a charter date yet!!!). When you eventually book your charter, indicate that you have a certificate, and when you go out on your charter simply present me with the certificate as payment. I know the "pieces of paper" are not really necessary (since I will obviously have a record of any pre-purchased charters), but it gives you something tangible in case you wish to present a friend or family member with a charter. Remember, this is a "special" I am offering, and it is not something that is offered through the marina.

There are still a couple of weeks left before the new charter rates for 2004 come into effect ($400.00 + GST for 5 hours up from $375.00 + GST for 5 hours during 2002, and 2003), so if you were thinking of getting out in the next month or so, it may be an idea to head out in the next couple of weeks before the rates rise. I am building another dock for Sewell's Marina again this winter, but I woun't really get too involved with it until after the holidays, so scheduling your trip will not be a problem at all. In addition, due to my relatively "open" schedule at this time of year and the unpredictable weather, I am quite flexible on moving the date of your charter around if necessary in order to avoid unpleasant weather if you so desire.

As always, feel free to pass this information along to any associates whom may appreciate the report. If you have any questions, or wish to book a charter, e-mail me davek@dccnet.com), or call me at (604) 329 - 8642.

Tight Lines,
David Korsch
Predator Charters
(604) 329 - 8642
davek@dccnet.com
www.predatorcharters.com

that's why there's a warranty!

Appreciate the report Rodreaker.
As usual you are a wealth of information.

Davie

Davie

Davie

Davie

Back