Vancouver Area-From Predator Charters

R

Rodbreaker

The PREDATOR'S PEN Date: May 15th/2004.

An update of the local saltwater fishing scene for Vancouver To : Saltwater Angler

By: David Korsch (Predator Charters)
E-mail: davek@dccnet.com Web Site: www.predatorcharters.com
Phone: (604) 329 - 8642 Fax: (604) 886 - 1928

Hello Fellow Anglers

The hot fishing off the south end of Bowen Island only lasted a couple weeks. An extreme plankton bloom occurred after a couple of windstorms. The strong northwester seem to have created an unique situation where the plankton bloom extended down through the water column at least 150'. Since it occurred, the fishing off the south side of Bowen has been slow.

Lucky there is some good (great??) news as well!!! I was right about my predictions for the upper Howe Sound fishery! Last year I never located the main body of the run until mid-July, and I have been saying that I KNOW they were there well before that time. I didn't know exactly when that location would begin producing, but I was hoping it would be at least a month earlier.

Well..........they are already there!!! The first week of May I did three morning trips to upper Howe Sound, and this week I did one. On all four days we managed to land VERY nice fish. We landed 8 Chinook ranging from 14 to 32 lbs on those four trips (averge fish being around 20 lbs), and we also lost a couple other very nice fish. I wouldn't call the fishing smokin' hot, but averaging a couple of 20 lb fish is nothing to shake a stick at. Interestingly, exactly half of these fish have been "reds", and there is no particular pattern based on size, as the number 2 fish (27 lbs) was a white. Of course, early in the year, these fish are bright chrome, gorgeous fish.

I was over fishing the Gulf Islands on both of the last weekends, and though we were successful, the fishing is really quite slow over there right now. Strange. Until it really picks up over there, I guess I will just have to fish the upper sound and catch those large, bright Chinook instead. Maybe there is a 40+ lb fish cruising up there that is destined for "the Predator" (they are around!).

It is still early. The main bulk of the fish have not arrived in the upper sound as of yet, but more are arriving daily. This run will continue to build in the coming months, and who knows when it will peak. As I mentioned, last year I didn't discover the fish until July 13th. That could have been the peak of the run, or it may have peaked in early to mid-June, and numbers were on the downward trend when I finally located them. I guess this year we will get a better idea of when they peak in the area. At this time most fish are hitting anchovy/flasher combinations out in deeper water, but the whole herring/no flasher combo was the killer last summer, so it is always worth a try as well.

I am very encouraged with the results of the past couple of weeks, and am anticipating great things from the upper sound in the coming weeks. During the first week or so of May I was quite busy, but for the remainder of the month I have lots of availability. The general word out there is that the fishing has been VERY slow in May, but I have fished away from the general "fleet" in both the upper sound and the Gulf Islands and have landed legal Chinook on 100% of my morning trips so far this May (only skunk was during an ill-timed afternoon large group booking).

If you think you may want to give it a try for these large Chinook in upper Howe Sound, it may be an idea here in late May. As word of these large fish in the upper sound spreads, I am sure it will get busier up there (especially on weekends). Morning trips seem to be best, as that afternoon "inflow" wind makes it a bit uncomfortable by about mid-day. If you want to book a trip with me, I still have lots of open days in May, though that can change quite rapidly.

As always, feel free to pass this information along to any associates whom may appreciate the report. If you have any questions, or wish to book a charter, e-mail me davek@dccnet.com), or call me at (604) 329 - 8642.

Tight Lines,
David Korsch
Predator Charters
(604) 329 - 8642
davek@dccnet.com
www.predatorcharters.com

that's why there's a warranty!

Back