Vacuum Sealing Salmon/Cod...

dfrase

Hi Guys,

I picked up a foodsaver vacuum sealer and this will be my first time using one this year.

Any tips on process for salmon/cod? I am hoping to use it for both fresh and smoked salmon.

Also, for prawns, i typically freeze them in saltwater. Is this something i should try with the vacuum sealer or just keep freezing in a container of salt water?

Cheers,
Dfrase

Buy some bags from 007 on the forum here. The bags cut down your sealing time when doing big loads. When sealing make sure the sealing edge is dry. It will fine for your Salmon and cod fresh or smoked. Prawns will not work unless they are peeled the shells will put holes in the bag. I just do mine in those Ziplock containers.

In addition to previous advice, to reduce loss of seal, freezer burn and ice inside them:

remove pin bones with small spring loaded (one hand use) needle nose pliers used only for this purpose, as they can puncture the plastic, especially with poor handling.

handle gently in the freezer, perhaps in flattish cardboard boxes. Throwing them around looking for the frozen pizza in the bottom of the freezer will cause the bags to fail (loss of seal) at a significantly higher rate.

you don't want a lot of moisture (pat dry with paper towels if necessary) as it will suck out and cause weak or failed seals. Sometimes a double seal will resolve this after wiping out the moisture that escaped from the suction past the seal line. I sometimes double seal anyway.

Last edited:
If possible, partially freeze your fish on a cookie sheet first, then vacuum pack it. It can be time consuming but helps prevent drawing a lot of the juices out of the fish.
Prawns seem to work well in saltwater in a container, just keep doing it that way.

Back