Vacuum Sealer Reviews

hippaisland

Looking to pickup a new vacuum sealer and I know many of you probably already have one, so I was hoping to get some feedback on some of the different units. I've really ever only used the Costco unit and the heavy duty commercial chamber units so don't know much about the models in between. Been doing some research but any feedback would be appreciated!

Different approach here, virtually everything that goes in my freezer is taken on the annual charter trip to WCVI. The day after we get home, we process fish as a group. Most of us bring those inexpensive Food Saver brand sealers. We have two going at all times but keep rotating them out every 30 minutes or so to avoid overloading them. They get used hard once a year and then very occasional use after that, but they seem to do the job. I think from memory they're under $200 new.

If you buy Foodsaver, go to their site and buy replacement gaskets top and bottom right away. They change designs constantly and do not continue making parts for older models. To sly_'s comment, when we have a nice amount of fish to vacuum pack, we use 2 units and switch back and forth to keep them from overheating. Also a few years back Wolf who contributes here recommended using a funnel to drop the fish into the bag so it did not touch the inside edges. I emailed him and he said he uses a sheet metal reducer. We use those now and failed bags are almost nonexistent

.download.jpg

I have a buddy who buys the food saver ones at value village. He gets them for about 20 bucks. When they die, he throws them away and go gets another one.

If you buy Foodsaver, go to their site and buy replacement gaskets top and bottom right away. They change designs constantly and do not continue making parts for older models. To sly_'s comment, when we have a nice amount of fish to vacuum pack, we use 2 units and switch back and forth to keep them from overheating. Also a few years back Wolf who contributes here recommended using a funnel to drop the fish into the bag so it did not touch the inside edges. I emailed him and he said he uses a sheet metal reducer. We use those now and failed bags are almost nonexistent

.View attachment 31383
i sure like this wolf guy, always good idea's

I use the food savers but not the food saver bags. They are atrociously expensive. I just buy after market pre cut bags. Way easier.

Looking to pickup a new vacuum sealer and I know many of you probably already have one, so I was hoping to get some feedback on some of the different units. I've really ever only used the Costco unit and the heavy duty commercial chamber units so don't know much about the models in between. Been doing some research but any feedback would be appreciated!

there is not much "in between" imho.

I switched from a food saver to a Cabelas unit. Much better vacuum seal, wider heat seal and the Cabelas bags are better quality that food saver in my experience.

Costco has a great return policy on food savers........they quit working you go get a new one.

just sayin'

A tip I learned on here was to keep a moist paper towel to cool the heating element and improve the seal on the gasket. Lets you go thru many cycles without needing to wait for it to cool down or time on the pumping part.

I used to use them food savers and well with a chamber sealer id never go back i do 2 chunks of fish at a time and it takes 23 seconds and done or about 60 lbs washed sealed and in freezer in about 45 mins tops.
As for the funnel reducers I have 2 of them that are on a 2x4 chunk 2 different size bags one small one big and i just attach the block to my work table I never have to wipe the bag down as its completely protected.

Wolf

Yes a chamber sealer is alot more money BUT way worth it as I just dont do fish its for everything15726919_10154647908131352_5051520059146977007_n.jpg game our veggies and stocks it gets used more than I ever thought

Back