Using a fly reel for springs

Charter Tofino

So i bought a 9/10 flyrod setup but dont use it much. Can you throw mono onto the backing or am i going to fry the reel? I realize popping the rigger wont be fun but i bet fighting a fish will.

I use backing on my fly reel, then 25# test on a 9 wt rod. However, I do not use the rod to take the line out of the clip! Great fun to play springs on. Cohoes at Winter Harbour this year,using this method was a blast. Tight Lines,..........BB

I use my 9wt flyrod all winter on the downrigger for springs with good results with a mini flasher and strip or anchovie. In the summer I have been hanging it off the back of the boat (20 pulls) with a 4 ounce weight and a coyote spoon (green and white) while fishing other rods off the downrigger. The flyrod has produced several cohoes and pinks as well as a couple of sockeye and one spring which weighed in at 20 pounds. When I am in a crowd of boats I bring it in so that I don't get it caught in someone's downrigger cable and let it out again when I have more room. It's a fun way to fish an extra rod and you never know what it will produce.

Ok thats enough for me. Flylines coming off tomorrow and mono is going on. My reels a large arbour and almost the same size as my shimano 4000s so should be good. My flyrod only has a short butt on it though and my rod holders wont fit it so im gonna have to throw it on something else.

Kelly: You can buy rod holders for fly rods which do not have butt extensions. I use them bucktailing all of the time. a bit fussy but no big deal.

Back