UPS fee

why knot

So I ordered some parts from the states and I'm pretty upset about the shipping. The parts I ordered were $107 plus $35 shipping. When the parts arrived at my place, UPS wouldn't give me my package until I paid them another $65 for shipping, brokerage fees, etc. So I ended up paying twice for shipping with UPS. Does anyone know a way around this or how to prevent this next time? I had no choice but to go with UPS
Thx

So I ordered some parts from the states and I'm pretty upset about the shipping. The parts I ordered were $107 plus $35 shipping. When the parts arrived at my place, UPS wouldn't give me my package until I paid them another $65 for shipping, brokerage fees, etc. So I ended up paying twice for shipping with UPS. Does anyone know a way around this or how to prevent this next time? I had no choice but to go with UPS
Thx

yep...been there...
I always try to get US stuff shipped US Post.
It's the Brokerage Fees and sometimes duties that get you.
no way I know of around it, unless you have it sent to a US friend who will bring it up, or if you spend time in the US have it sent to where you stay and bring it up yourself.

did you try a mail box in the states
lots of places provide free shipping in the continental usa
plus gas up while your down there

You can actually clear the package yourself-ask to look at it/take it and close the door in their faces there's SFA they can do.

Lots of info on the net about this.

I've heard good things about "Sea Wings".
You can get the free shipping that is common in the US, have it sent to Sea Wings and they bring it up to the Victoria airport. You then self broker the package.
Their website is http://www.seawings.ca/
I hate UPS for shipping and won't buy things in the states if they insist on using them as the shipper.

Thanks for all of you, I will call ups tomorrow and see what they say.
I am just mad because the product cost me the same as shipping and brokerage .
I will post tomorrow .

I think UPS has a "wheel of fortune" they spin to determine your clearing charges. I understand how much GST and PST should be however their clearing charges can be stupid. Makes me even madder when shipper indicates they are shipping USPS and it comes UPS.
USPS and FedEx my preference.

I've heard good things about "Sea Wings".
You can get the free shipping that is common in the US, have it sent to Sea Wings and they bring it up to the Victoria airport. You then self broker the package.
Their website is http://www.seawings.ca/
I hate UPS for shipping and won't buy things in the states if they insist on using them as the shipper.
X2 on Sea Wings. The company I work for buys lots of stuff and has it shipped though them. Great company to deal with.

I have ordered things from the USA, where the shipper indicates that they are shipping UPS. I will then phone their customer service number and explain that I would like to spend my money with them, but don't want anything shipped UPS and explain why to them. Generally they will then ship USPS, even if it is a little more, with no problem. If they don't then I go elsewhere with my money.

Sea Wings sounds interesting, might try them next time.

UPS and Fedex both offer shipping services that includes shipping, GST, PST and duties paid UPFRONT. No brokerage fee! When you order from the business in the US you have to be CLEAR with them to use one of these services. For UPS it's Worldwide Saver NOT UPS ground. Fedex is called International priority. I've used both these services before and they are great! It costs the same as USPS but your stuff shows up within days not weeks like USPS.

I've always liked USPS also...

I always ship USPS unless it is something that can't be shipped over the border. In that case, I have a box at Pacific Mail and Parcel where I send stuff. It usually gets there in about 2 days with free shipping, rather than 2 weeks and money to ship to Canada. It only takes me about 20 minutes to get to Blaine from my work so it doesn't work out too bad. Pacific Mail and Parcel is in Blaine, but is Canadian owned, so you don't have to feel too bad for ordering online and shipping to them. I like to support local businesses, but my 1973 Honda motorcycle is pretty tough to find parts for here.

Don't ever waste your time with UPS or FedEx when shipping over the border. I have had FedEx send me a bill 6 months after I received the product for brokerage.

Back