Uniden Marine Radio Help

I want to add a plug to my Uniden marine radio, so I can remove it when the boat is parked. The small red and black wire look fairly simple, but I am not username about the larger black wire. Has anyone ever done this?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_1666.jpg
    IMG_1666.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 31
Red - positive lead, sm black - negative, large black - likely leads to your GPS for lat/long reporting thru NMEA feed if you have a DSC radio. Maybe look at your make/model and do a Google search for the make/model and check what the manual says???

Red - positive lead, sm black - negative, large black - likely leads to your GPS for lat/long reporting thru NMEA feed if you have a DSC radio. Maybe look at your make/model and do a Google search for the make/model and check what the manual says???

You are exactly right. I did find the manual online, and there are 6 wires in the larger black wire. I don't think any of them are hooked up and will have to trace them back.

The NMEA feed is a pulsed & coded DC feed of about 7ish volts (when your GPS is on and functioning). Might be a minor pain in the butt to figure out which wire(s) carry info (unless maybe you can see which one(s) are hooked onto your GPS lead output and the colour of the wire(s)?) and install a weatherproof quick connect/disconnect - or not - if you wish to maintain your DSC capabilities (recommended). Prob not too expensive to do it - on the flip side...

Last edited:
If it were me, if grab a couple of amphenol connectors and add them into that 6 conductor cable. Just cut the cable and then start matching colours....

Back