Tuna tackle

Sculpin

Well I thought we should start a new thread about tuna tackle before we kick the season off and to steer a bit away from the long tuna talk thread. I have spent a few evenings off and on tying up stuff for this years adventures. I think I have a serious problem that is associated with this fishery LOL:D.

These shots are for Finished Business as I recall he wanted to see a full spread shot of anyones tuna tackle ha ha.

WARNING: Tuna fishing is seriously addictive and can ruin ones life (it has completely ruined mine). Once you experience it there is no cure except bankruptcy!. The following images may be disturbing to tuna addicts.

An overview.....

The side view.....

Hand lines, attractors, dive boards, and X-raps......

Feathers, clones, and brooms....

Smaller lures, chunk bait rigs, surface poppers, Big Hammer swim baits c/w lead heads, cedar plugs of various colors, and various other jigs....

(The scary part is I actually have some more multiples of some of the lures in the photos in bags and just couldn't fit them in the shots!!!)

Post up your tackle shots or talk tuna tackle in this thread folks. I know I am missing some of Crabby Chris's deadly dicks but I am working on that.

I will post up how I rigged some of the gear soon. I am still a novice to this fishery and I hope I didn't screw the pooch on some of it.

Let's talk tuna tackle. What have you other addicts tied up lately?

Cheers,
Sculpin

Last edited by a moderator:
Clones, feathers, and Zuker brooms I rigged with 100 lb. 6.5' leaders this year. Crimped both ends with Yozuri 2/0 swivels. #25 Mustad commercial double hook.

Hand line lures like X-raps I rigged with 120 lb. 6.5' leaders. Crimped with Yozuri 2/0 swivels. Stock hooks (anyone change out the xrap hooks to something else?).

Smaller lures, jet heads, and a couple of monster lures I rigged with the 100 lb. 6.5' leaders again. Crimped with Yozuri 2/0 swivels. The smaller lures got some new 8/0 siwash hooks that PNT just brought in. The larger lures got the Mustad doubles.

Chunk bait rigs I rigged with 60# 6.5' leaders on 10/0 Gama live bait hooks and went palomar knot x palomar knot. Used Yozuri 2/0 swivels on the top end. Wonder if these hooks are too large?

All my rod's and handlines have heavy corkscrew swivels on the ends for easy tackle change outs. I'm running 65 lb. PowerPro braid on all my rods (I use them double duty for halibut).

I know this is still on the heavy side, leader and main line wise, but it is lighter than I ran last year by quite a bit lol. I just can't stop thinking about Osama's story's about hooking into big unknown things way out there:eek::p.

Just curious what others are doing in regards to chunk bait hooks, leaders, terminal gear etc. I have time to change some stuff if I need to.

Sculpin

I knew you had alot in that tote; but, holy crap! When you said you had enough and were done buying stuff did you know you had that much? I thought I was getting carried away; but now I see how much you do have all laid out and then some and you have made me feel better about my new addiction. LOL

I don't see your bells you were talking about; I guess you still have a little more to buy.

Sculpin

I knew you had alot in that tote; but, holy crap! When you said you had enough and were done buying stuff did you know you had that much? I thought I was getting carried away; but now I see how much you do have all laid out and then some and you have made me feel better about my new addiction. LOL

I don't see your bells you were talking about; I guess you still have a little more to buy.

Lol. Actually there were a couple of things I forgot I had. It was good to pull it all out and sort it etc. It was a perfect time as well to take some photos for Nick. I just need to pick up some of those Deadly Dicks that Chris and Jeff were hammering them on last year and then I'm done lure wise.

I am going to rig up some of those bells soon and give them a try this year on the hand lines. I'll post up if I can get it to work good. It will be nice having a strike indicator on those hand lines. There loud too, so it will add to the excitement ha ha.

Maybe we should form a 'pool' that could be drawn from? Anyone suffering from tackle 'just one more itus' could be lent some gear to help salve the urge for more...
I'll post a pic of some of my stuf in a few...

This is the stuff still at home.. even I was surprised when I laid it all out. Worse part is that the divers, plugs, swim baits, planers, splash boats and outrigger hardware are on the boat and can't photo them.
I'm going to start a 'private members bill' in Ottawa that tackle can't be put on sale over the winter

Attachments

• DSCN4777.jpg
    DSCN4777.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 585
This is the stuff still at home.. even I was surprised when I laid it all out. Worse part is that the divers, plugs, swim baits, planers, splash boats and outrigger hardware are on the boat and can't photo them.
I'm going to start a 'private members bill' in Ottawa that tackle can't be put on sale over the winter

Thank goodness I'm not alone................:).

Great looking variety of colors there Terry. Awesome.

I see Victory Lures has these little beauties On Sale.....

3cpf.jpg

Couldn't resist and this gave me some time to do some re-organizing

Most of the stuff much ready rigged and ready to go from the other day.

Clones Zukers Feathers Booners

Dive Boards

Home made splashers
IMG_0279_zps9fc275e6.jpg

Tuna Flys

Poppers

I think Birdsnest is the winner so far for the most addicted lol. Awesome collection there Birdsnest!!!

Are you going to try any chunking this year?

Chunking:

Ya I'd like to but I really am not willing to pay for trayed bait for that. I will have to get a line on some block herring or start collecting mackerel, or something. If I can get in to them really good one morning then there is lots of stuff I'd like to try:

Poppers, Cast fly, Chuck bait, Casting any thing where the motors are off and I can loose myself in the anticipation of having my presentation SMASHED HARD.

Chunking:

Ya I'd like to but I really am not willing to pay for trayed bait for that. I will have to get a line on some block herring or start collecting mackerel, or something. If I can get in to them really good one morning then there is lots of stuff I'd like to try:

Poppers, Cast fly, Chuck bait, Casting any thing where the motors are off and I can loose myself in the anticipation of having my presentation SMASHED HARD.

As I mentioned before, The children's hospital herring sale down at steveston is a great place for chunk bait. Its where we got ours from. I think a 4 gallon sack was 20 bucks. More herring than I knew what to do with.

I dont get to those places ever so if any one of you folks are ever coming to tofino and can bring me a case that would be a solid. I am negotiable on the topic.

Back