tuna charter question

has anyone heard of Oregon Tuna Charters out of Garibaldi ? Had a friend use them and had a blast. Any other feedback would be great.

I went out with them but wouldn't recommend them. Most likely it was an off day for them but I wasn't generally impressed. Top three reasons:

1) The day before the captain was out fishing with his friends. He seemed hungover and spent most of the day in the tuna tower smoking weed most of the trip. Granted, it was a slow day for tuna and there wasn't much else for him to do but drive around looking for tuna.

2)The couple of dozen bait we had were leftover from the day prior, they were half dead and sluggish.

3) I specifically asked about the bathroom because my girl friend was with me. We were joining a group of four strangers and I wanted to make sure she has some privacy. But on our way out of port he informed us that the head was broken. I found out later from the deck hand that they used the head for storage and it wasn't actually broken. I can't verify if the deck hand was ill informed or not.

My experience was probably an anomaly. The vessel is a great fishing platform and the captain can probably usually catch fish when the fish are cooperating. He seems to have a few other guides to talk to and share information with. We only caught 1 tuna each but they were bled and stored on ice promptly.

Good luck!

Never been with these guys but sounds like REALLY poor judgement on their part plus lying.
I went out with All Rivers charters in westport. It was early in the season & the deal was if we didn't find Tuna, we would fish Salmon. Well, we ran outta gas - unbelievable.

The further south you go the shorter the run is; many places in Oregon are only 12 miles.
The smaller faster boats have limited fish storage. I went on a Tuna trip out of San Diego (2 day trip) & we probably had 500 fish in the hold (cold sea water). This boat was the Outer Limits. We also caught Mahi Mahi. They troll around looking for kelp patties. Fishing the kelp is a blast, it's still fishing & I cast a 4 oz metal jig from the bow; you can see the fish strike.

Actually, now that I have been Tuna fishing 3-4 times, I'm done. They are boring; they make a blistering high speed run, then sound & you just grind them in.

Never been with these guys but sounds like REALLY poor judgement on their part plus lying.
I went out with All Rivers charters in westport. It was early in the season & the deal was if we didn't find Tuna, we would fish Salmon. Well, we ran outta gas - unbelievable.

The further south you go the shorter the run is; many places in Oregon are only 12 miles.
The smaller faster boats have limited fish storage. I went on a Tuna trip out of San Diego (2 day trip) & we probably had 500 fish in the hold (cold sea water). This boat was the Outer Limits. We also caught Mahi Mahi. They troll around looking for kelp patties. Fishing the kelp is a blast, it's still fishing & I cast a 4 oz metal jig from the bow; you can see the fish strike.

Actually, now that I have been Tuna fishing 3-4 times, I'm done. They are boring; they make a blistering high speed run, then sound & you just grind them in.
Thanks guys. I have heard good things here on All Rivers. Will check into them

Thanks guys. I have heard good things here on All Rivers. Will check into them
I went out with the Rampage last year out of Westport, Captain Randy is a great old crusty sea dog.....not for a novice fisherman but if you follow simple directions during bait stops then you'll hook up and land way more fish easier.

Back