Truck advice on new to me truck

Tips Up

NOT looking to start a Chev vs Ford thread as far as preferred manufacture.

Looking for first hand advice from anyone who owns the following...

Looking to purchase a new to me Truck asap.
Based on my budget, needs and average prices I am seeing out there, I have narrowed it down to:
- 2010-2012 Chev 1500, GMC 1500 or Ford 150.
- V8
- Crew cab
- 4x4

Any input on these trucks?

Thanks
Tips

I think the small block Chev v8's are great motors.
The 5.3 and 5.7 are basically upgraded versions of the old 327 and 350 cu inch V8's
My 2009 Silverado has a 4.3 V6 and I'm very happy with it so far.
I think I would want the V8 though if towing anything over 5000lbs.

Why not dodge? Good deals on them lately, wish i had of waited instead of buying mine in 09....id stay clear of ford eco boost v6, biddy of mine sold his after 1 year and went back to a f250

Great start!
This is the type of first hand info I'm looking for.

Would have bought a Brand new Chev today on their Truck sale $29,000 brand new... but was V6 and I need to tow a travel trailer.
Also had a good look at a 2009 Silverado with 5.3 and still considering although was hoping for a year or 2 newer.
Might send you a PM Big Green.

Keep it coming

Thanks!

I don't know what your budget is but if you are lucky you might get a cherry 3/4 ton duramax diesel-yes it might be older but man it will tow the world and gets great mileage.

If your towing I would go 3/4 ton and the chevy 6.0 ltr. It isn't that bad on fuel if you don't put the boot to it. The power is there when you need it (lots). There are lot's of these trucks slightly used for sale. That 6.0 ltr. Vortex is a great motor for a gasser IMO.

In 1/2 ton the 5.3 is good. The 4.3 sucks for towing (even though you weren't asking about it, I just had to add that lol ).

Hey Graham. I went through this several months ago. But I didn't buy so new...I have a 2002 GMC Sierra 1500 with 5.3L engine had now for more than 6 months. Very good truck.

Do not buy the little 4.3! Like you a spent lots of time and even some advice on this forum. I know your boat and your trailer is pretty small. If you can spend the money get the bigger motor they 5.53 is awesome. But you don't need a 6.0L... Only get the bigger motor if you intend to look at getting a truck topper camper or very large trailer... the 1500 is plenty.

I can't comment on Ford. I personally dislike Ford's and Chrysler... Only Ford I like is the 350 diesel. But that is preference nothing more.

What I can comment on is that with the big motor my gas consumption coming from a pathfinder with just 6 cylinder is almost the same. You see my 6 cylinder was always working hard to get up hills and just drinking gas. New truck I barely feel anything. Even with my trips to Alberni no towing the truck vs pathfinder very close in gas consumption...

All I can say is think long term. If an opportunity comes up and you need extra power you will have it. I know my new boat is a lot heavier and if I went with a small motor I would have regretted it. You will be better off than me I don't have flex fuel option so you will use less gas. Warning though they like gas with the city driving so there is a tradeoff in city driving. I think the new ones your looking at probably have some of the features our H3 Hummer has. Locking Front and Rear. Totally awesome for 4 wheel drive.

As for the F150 may neighbor has a two year old F150. He sometimes has problems starting it..... Has had a ton of issues. But I have heard from people it depends on the year.... I looked at imports too and I was unimpressed with the bodies of them, and many were an absolute fortune even used.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a Chev 1500 with the 4.8l...I really liked that truck...it rode really well on logging roads, great on gas and towed my 20' Trophy up and down the island with no problems...a little slow up the Malahat and over the hump to PA, but no problem with it.

I now have a 2500 gmc with the 6.0l...like Sculpin said, lots of power...tows my 22’ Sea Sport really well...didn't ever tow that with the 4.8, but I think it would have been tough on it IMO...3/4 ton has a little rougher ride on logging roads unless I have it loaded with firewood :)

Both great trucks for what I needed them for.

FishWish

Actually that is a good point Graham my experience with the 5.3L is I am going down/upon from Sooke down Malahat. You probably are mostly flat driving..... So the 4.8 would do..... If you went that route.

not sure what your budget is but i got a brand new (2013) loaded 1 ton regular box diesel silverado 4X4 last year through an auto fleet broker in the US. he specializes in cross border purchases. had it shipped right to abbotsford canadian tire for 53K. they did the riv stuff and i bought insurance and was on my way in a couple hrs of going down to pick it up. exact same truck was on the lot here for 78K. truck was fully loaded except rear seat entertainment.... heated and cooled leather seats, sunroof, nav, power sliding rear window, running lights, running boards, towing package, I mean completely loaded. I'm sure the broker could swing you a pretty good deal for a new half ton. might be worth looking into. dollar won't be as good as when I did it though as the dollar was at par then,

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually that is a good point Graham my experience with the 5.3L is I am going down/upon from Sooke down Malahat. You probably are mostly flat driving..... So the 4.8 would do..... If you went that route.

What if he wanted to go up a hill?.........

I was just saying it sucks when you pull up malahat and like the hump etc under load....But if you have to do occasionally 4.8 might be fine that is all.... I did it for years in my pathfinder...not comfortable though...

Buy a ford f150 ecoboost. Also I really like the 4.6 we had great results with them

I was just saying it sucks when you pull up malahat and like the hump etc under load....But if you have to do occasionally 4.8 might be fine that is all.... I did it for years in my pathfinder...not comfortable though...

I was just saying your advice was kinda funny. This is BC where there are hills EVERYWHERE. Why under power yourself and literally wreck a vehicle? Towing with underpowered vehicles like Pathfinders and small 1/2 ton's constantly over the years will kill the vehicle and make them very non marketable. I guess I'm looking out for the buyer of said vehicle lol. Sure you can do it and if you can get good dollar for it when you sell it great:). Not so great for the guy that buy's it from you. I would never do that to someone is all I'm saying :cool:.

One thing to think about in any truck, especially if you go 1/2 ton is the braking ability. Weight is what a lot of us focus on to ensure enough power, but we need to stop as well.

We have a 05 Chev CC 4x4 w/5.3 and had an 18' welded aluminum and she towed it and stopped with little problem. However, when towing my buddies 21' trophy, the power was there, but it sure took a long time to stop, way more than the lighter boat. Disk on the front and drums on the back, the new disks all the way around are probably better.

I would go with the 3/4 ton 6l if you plan on pulling a heavy boat and if you do a lot of pulling; boats, travel trailers etc, then the diesel is the way to go. Also, Gm trucks have the 160000 k drivetrain warranty, so even buying a 1-2 yo truck should get you some warranty.

For work I have a 1/2 Ford and I am lucky if I get 14 mpg on the highway and 10 in the bush; the little motor (4.6) and 4 speed tranny are always trying to find the power band.

Cheers

SS

Back