Trophy Xl QR Tyee drag very sensitive and clicker very quiet.

kingblazer84

Hey guys so after I get married this weekend (Saturday) Ill be getting back out onto the water try to get into some fish.

Ive been having an issue with my Tyee QR reel for about 1 year or so, when I use the drag adjustment knob it takes very little till its full on free spool! lol causing massive birds nests if I dont palm the reel in time. Is it just a problem with these reels ?? is there any repairs to fix this issue?

Also the clicker on the reel seems to be VERY quiet basically if im not watching the rod the whole damn time Ill either miss fish strikes or have a reel just peeling out line without even hearing a peep! any tips for that issue???

Cheers

I have early generation ones (smaller handles).....get Islander drag springs from any good tackle shop. Mine have lots of play....and NO creep whatsoever. ;)

My clicker on one has gone more quiet too....haven't farted around with it yet but may just require a new spring on the clicker? Can't recall the warranty guy (maybe Reg) at Trophy (Redl Sports) but he's pretty darn accommodating to help you out.

Hey guys so after I get married this weekend (Saturday) Ill be getting back out onto the water try to get into some fish.

Ive been having an issue with my Tyee QR reel for about 1 year or so, when I use the drag adjustment knob it takes very little till its full on free spool! lol causing massive birds nests if I dont palm the reel in time. Is it just a problem with these reels ?? is there any repairs to fix this issue?

Also the clicker on the reel seems to be VERY quiet basically if im not watching the rod the whole damn time Ill either miss fish strikes or have a reel just peeling out line without even hearing a peep! any tips for that issue???

Cheers

I'm thinking your drag problem may be caused by not releasing the drag when you store your reel for an extended period of time. I always set the drag as low as possible when storing my reels.

I changed out my springs to islanders and that improved the drag issue. Emailed Trophy ( also think it was Reg) regarding the quiet clicker and he replied that the metal used to make the clicker components was the issue. Not much you can do for that.

I changed out my springs to islanders and that improved the drag issue. Emailed Trophy ( also think it was Reg) regarding the quiet clicker and he replied that the metal used to make the clicker components was the issue. Not much you can do for that.

I opened up the reel and i think with a bit tighter spring it will get louder when the line is going out ..it will snap the clicker back faster hitting the sprocket harder
giving it a louder click, may work gonna give it a shot ..

I know a few guys who have swapped the drag spring out and replaced with an Islander drag spring. They claim it solves the sensitive drag adjustment issue. I am going to give it a try as well As far as quiet, mine has done the same after a season on the reel.

So i've had the new heavier homemade springs in for a bit and it's a bit louder then the stock springs and it's keeping a steady noise not tapering off like the stock ones after time
the spring just looses it's shape ... I made them in a different way , drill , 1/16"+ rod , spin a few turns on the rod with drill ...match up the stock one .

I used this size acoustic wire .. amzon.ca
eIMG_4934.JPG

Double check that you aren't trying to adjust the drag while the freespool is engaged. I've done that with my buddy's QR. Just when I was thinking what a P.O.S., I realized it was my fault and the reel was fine.

I know a few guys who have swapped the drag spring out and replaced with an Islander drag spring. They claim it solves the sensitive drag adjustment issue. I am going to give it a try as well As far as quiet, mine has done the same after a season on the reel.
Just wondering which spring you put in there? I've called islander and they are not sure which spring I need.....

Just wondering which spring you put in there? I've called islander and they are not sure which spring I need.....

Just the main drag spring which is in the center of the reel and sits under the drag knob...NOT the clicker spring.

Just did it for start of this season. and Pips is right. just the drag spring. It definitely helped with the sensitive drag issue. One observation would be that it does not get as loose wen drag is backed all the way off. Still loose but with a little tension. Only have a few hours on it so I will be interested to see how it holds, affects or doesn't affect the cork over time.

Ray

. Still loose but with a little tension. Only have a few hours on it so I will be interested to see how it holds, affects or doesn't affect the cork over time.

Ray

The tension is actually great as with the old springs I had rookies or those not used to the reel almost free spool while dropping and I'd be cleaning up a birds nest in the reel.

I've had them in for a season and a half and when servicing my reels a couple of weeks ago.....corks are fine.

The tension is actually great as with the old springs I had rookies or those not used to the reel almost free spool while dropping and I'd be cleaning up a birds nest in the reel.

I've had them in for a season and a half and when servicing my reels a couple of weeks ago.....corks are fine.

That's good to hear on the cork. Ya I kinda like the added tension as well. Now I can back drag full off wen not using reel and no fear it will move a hair and spool out line

Back