Trophy tyee QR reels question

Discussion in 'General Open Forum' started by Kinetic, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Kinetic

Kinetic Active Member

I see Outfitters has on the Trophy Tyee QR reel for $259.99 and wanted opinions on the reel.
    I'm used to using Daiwa M ones and Shimano 2000's for downrigger fishing. Will this reel be a big improvement. Is that a good deal at the price or do you think it'll be on cheaper at boxing day elsewhere.
    Any other suggestions at this price point.
    Thanks

2. Kildonan

Kildonan Well-Known Member

I have seen them as low as 249.99 at Harbour Chandler and Trotac in recent sales, don't recall seeing them cheaper than that. They're good bang for the buck IMO. Ask @wolf about them, he uses them on his guide boat where they see heavy usage, he has nice things to say about them.

3. Trophy

Trophy Member

I have had two for several years. Zero issues / used all year. Love trophys bigger handles. Bought one from HC on a special sale for under $200, catch being the ugly green colour....still catches lots of fish!

4. fishin solo

fishin solo Well-Known Member

Pretty sure Pacific angler has them for $199 usually every Boxing Day

5. Old Blue

Old Blue Active Member

You'll love them in comparison. A very nice step up without breaking the bank

6. wolf

wolf Well-Known Member

Great reel for price point , ive done quite a few modifications to make them even more user friendly for new people using single action reels. im coming up to year 12 now on a pair i bought with out ever replacing a bearing or anything not bad id say.
    If you do get them ill show you and tweek them up for you . Just pm me...

Good luck Wolf

Discus, Kinetic and noluck like this.
  7. Kinetic

Kinetic Active Member

Thanks everyone for the comments. Looks like I'll wait for boxing day and hope I can pick one up on a sale.

8. Reeltime

Reeltime Well-Known Member

Put the reels to the test this past summer and got to learn the drags on them which are way more sensitive then other drags ,you don't have to
    turn the drag knob as much to set the drag tight or loose ,kind of weird in the beginning but once you get used to it there great. those big rubber paddle
    handles are a game changer.

9. wildmanyeah

wildmanyeah Well-Known Member

I have 1 Trophy Tyee QR and for some reason the real jams against the rod holder, Dont have this problem with the 2 islanders or the shimano i have.

10. Reeltime

Had the same problem with other reels on the rigger holders and other rod holders ,so i went with Striker rod holders.
    IMG_7682.JPG

scott craven likes this.
  11. wildmanyeah

wildmanyeah Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  12. Derby

Derby Well-Known Member

Curious...what are the zap straps for in the pic?

13. Reeltime

Mostly zapping stuff to my prawn/crab traps , fixing tears on traps ... The MacGyver straps .

14. Derby

Derby Well-Known Member

Thanks..yes I usually have a dozen close at hand and some gorilla tape :)

15. Reeltime

Same...:D i have a box full of just incase.

16. Stizzla

Stizzla Well-Known Member

I have 3 of the tyee xl’s and I really like them. I just got two off of ebay.ca for $200.00 each brand new, plus no tax. He seems to have one after another posted on there so I just messages him and asked for a buy it now for $200.00 each... They have the soft paddles too!

Attached Files: