Trophy Pro 2002 Transom advice

Captain PartyMarty

Crew Member
hi guys

I started working on cleaning up my transom yesterday, getting ready to install my new motor. I removed the white plastic trim which caps the top of the transom just to see what's under it.

I found that trophy bonded the upper and lower shells of the hull together with a bondo like material which is showing some cracks and not looking great anymore. I was thinking of grinding all the old bondo out. The question would you replace it with say a fiber reinforced bondo like product or should fill the gaps with fiber glass? There is a gap about 3/4 of an inch by 1.5 deep. Which seems like a lot to fiberglass fill. Should I fill the gap and fiber glass over it or go full fiber glass?

I glassed mine, but it alot older than yours. I think they use a filet material. The same stuff use to round out inside corners before glassing. I used filler then glassed it in as the kicker was separating the halfs

i put some tape on the outside, used bondo to radius the inside. then layed up 3-4 layers of glass on the inside. removed the tape and added a bit of bondo across the top and down the edge. tipped some gel and sanded. you can see the bondo poke through revealing the high spot. tip/ sand...tip/sand. polished it and tru away the plastic edge, looks new. now the kicker wont pull it away when getting air.

Back