TrollMaster throttle control for 9.9 Prokicker

Cuba Libre

I purchased a TrollMaster remote throttle control unit in June 2016 . It worked beautifully for the summer, but the servo motor stopped working in August in 2017... two months out of warranty. Well-- a replacement servo was not expensive so I ordered a replacement from MarineTech Products in Minnesota. Got the new one and installed it-- DIDNT WORK! I phoned MarineTech and gave them my sad story. I followed a check list that was giving over the phone, and I had done everything to check the unit on my end. Upshot..." send the WHOLE system back to us and we will figure it out for you. " I pulled all the wiring and the controller and shipped it down south. Ten days later a brand new unit shows up with the message from their tech: They tested the whole system-- and there was nothing wrong with it--- except-- IT DIDNT WORK!!!! They replaced the whole system servos, controller and wiring under warranty even though it was two months past the warranty end date.

Now thats almost as good as a Scotty warranty ! Nice to see that kind of customer service.

Nice to see companies standing behind their products. Glad to see you have a your unit back in working order.

I have a Troll King unit and have replaced a servo motor. I just went to a hobby shop downtown where they sell remote control planes, boats, cars etc. They are common units that they can match up....saves you sending away or waiting for one in the mail.

I have a Troll King unit and have replaced a servo motor. I just went to a hobby shop downtown where they sell remote control planes, boats, cars etc. They are common units that they can match up....saves you sending away or waiting for one in the mail.
Good to know....

Not to high jack this but didn't someone post a DIY post about how to build one? Maybe they could post a link for a parts reference to fix them.

I believe you can use a servo tester and servo with minor mods to the throttle assembly.

still using my DIY one to this day
parts was waterproof rated servo
circular servo arm,
12v to 7v step down transformer,
small servo tester,
3-4 core suitable cable .
and small waterproof connectors .....
only other thing i did was not to use a linkage rod but a
small trace wire and have it mounted close to the center of the circular servo arm
and only mod to the carb was drill a tiny hole on the throttle linkage to allow fixing of the trace wire
gives you more movement/twist on the the servo controller ...

still using my DIY one to this day
parts was waterproof rated servo
circular servo arm,
12v to 7v step down transformer,
small servo tester,
3-4 core suitable cable .
and small waterproof connectors .....
only other thing i did was not to use a linkage rod but a
small trace wire and have it mounted close to the center of the circular servo arm
and only mod to the carb was drill a tiny hole on the throttle linkage to allow fixing of the trace wire
gives you more movement/twist on the the servo controller ...
Sound really similar to the Itroll

Theirs you don’t even modify the carb just loop the wire around the linkage screw for the carb.

the DIY route will cost you about $60 and a little time.
the i troll can have a lot of features added... and is way more advanced with hunt mode and re settable positions ....
but then your paying in the region of over $400

I have an issue with trying to adjust the throttle in very small increments. Seems I am a bit too fast or a bit too slow. Does this help in adjusting speed?

An iTroll or ProTroll will allow you to adjust speed precisely. That is why I bought an iTroll for my kicker. Highly recommended rather than using tiller throttle or control box.

An iTroll or ProTroll will allow you to adjust speed precisely. That is why I bought an iTroll for my kicker. Highly recommended rather than using tiller throttle or control box.
How difficult is the iTroll to install and how do I know if it will work with my kicker? I have a 2015 Yamaha 9.9 kicker.

Back