Traveller Question

Paul Harrington

Hi All, We are is a small group travelling down BC. We are shipping our gear in. We have two 3.7m Alloy Boats with 20hp Hondas, would travelling say the Boat Channel near Prince Rupert in June July be deemed safe to boat. Staying out of open water obviously. Thanks in advance...Paul H

Attachments

• Boat.jpg
    Boat.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 73
Boat Channel near Prince Rupert in June July be deemed safe to boat. Staying out of open water obviously. Thanks in advance...Paul H

Hi Paul, Do you mean you'll be going down the inside passage? I looked for boat passage in Navionics and can't find it.

I'll let some Northerns speak up but my experience out of Rupert 20+ years ago would be doing any trips in a small vessel without support and guiding would be no.

There are expert locals in open skiffs who go in the salt on smaller open aluminums and some of them don't come back. The ones who have no problems wait out weather with patience and are super carelful.

I did two foolish multi day trips in my 20's in a kayak off the west coast after spending 100+ days at sea as a commercial fisher. The trips on my own were in july and August and I almost died twice in "protected water" due to not respecting the ocean and the weather. I was young dumb and full of...

Reach out to RCMSAR Prince Rupert or Power Squadren, if the is a local chapter in Rupert, for local advice if you are having trouble finding it.

Some might say the weather is better in July then June but either month will have days that are unsuitable for 20 foot vessels.

Give a few more details of your plans and preparation, and locals will chime in!

We used to do Porlier pass in 14' tinnys with 40 hp on them with 3 of us with diving gear, I thought they were nuts going through on the flood. Your only going to die if you end up in the water. At least we had dry and wetsuits on.

Thank for that...the passage is only 1.5km wide so I gather very protected. We would enter upstream as well, will chat to local RC SAR. Stupid question how cold is cold ...life threatening in summer? In Australia 60F is considered cold but would not be planning to swim.

ten mins to get breathing and heart rate under control or have a jammer
another 45 mins and yer dead from hypo.
52f?

I think the OP means Boat Bluff up near Klemtu, it's narrow with sharp turns for large vessels but cruise ships and the ferry go through there, plenty of room for a 12 footer. The passage won't be a problem if timed for a slack tide, same goes for all the narrow passes in BC waters that have fast currents and rapids on spring tides. But getting further south will be a much bigger problem. Rounding Cape Caution and crossing Queen Charlotte Sound would be crazy in a small tinny on all but the best of days. And if you stay on the mainland side you still face open water swell plus there's no fuel or services for a much longer distance.

I think the OP means Boat Bluff up near Klemtu, it's narrow with sharp turns for large vessels but cruise ships and the ferry go through there, plenty of room for a 12 footer. The passage won't be a problem if timed for a slack tide, same goes for all the narrow passes in BC waters that have fast currents and rapids on spring tides. But getting further south will be a much bigger problem. Rounding Cape Caution and crossing Queen Charlotte Sound would be crazy in a small tinny on all but the best of days. And if you stay on the mainland side you still face open water swell plus there's no fuel or services for a much longer distance.

No sorry Sly, I meant Work Channel mistake said Boat entering at 54 18 07N 129 59 16W and travelling to the Narrows and falls

Last edited:
I believe you mean 54 18 07N 129 59 16W not 54 18 07N 29 59 16W.
54 18 07N 29 59 16W is in the middle of the Atlantic.

Yes there are lots of people do that exact same trip in the boat you are speaking of. They travel down the logging road East of Prince Rupert towards the head of Work Channel. Then it's a pretty long run up to the mouth, but lots of good fishing that time of year down the channel. You should be good except if a weather system is coming in from the East -North East. There are a few coves and bays to duck into for protection, but some are not too boat friendly, however you should be ok with your rigs. Just go prepared for the worst and you should have a great trip.

Oly

Yes there are lots of people do that exact same trip in the boat you are speaking of. They travel down the logging road East of Prince Rupert towards the head of Work Channel. Then it's a pretty long run up to the mouth, but lots of good fishing that time of year down the channel. You should be good except if a weather system is coming in from the East -North East. There are a few coves and bays to duck into for protection, but some are not too boat friendly, however you should be ok with your rigs. Just go prepared for the worst and you should have a great trip.

Oly
Thank Oly much appreciated, and the place looks spectacular.

OK I guess you mean you're restricting your boating trip to Work Channel, not a full trip down the coast from Rupert like I read it as. Have a great time and bring top quality rain gear!

OK I guess you mean you're restricting your boating trip to Work Channel, not a full trip down the coast from Rupert like I read it as. Have a great time and bring top quality rain gear!

Thanks, if we venture further open waters we'll hire a local boat and skipper. Got all the info now, thank you to everyone.

Back