TRAPPING

F

fatbass

Hey guys I have been hunting crayfish as a little boy and have had great fun catching them. However now I want to catch more by using a crayfish trap.

Do you guys know of any good crayfish traps located in BC or that can be shipped to canada.

How many crayfish can you catch on your licence and how much is it to upgrade that number.

Thanks, Marc

Crappy Tire sells a folding prawn trap for about 25 bucks that works great for crayfish. We use old wieners as bait ( I think thats their natural prey ) Not sure about the regs but I'd like to know too. The island lakes are full of the little buggers in summer to early fall.

quote:
Crappy Tire sells a folding prawn trap for about 25 bucks that works great for crayfish. We use old wieners as bait ( I think thats their natural prey ) Not sure about the regs but I'd like to know too. The island lakes are full of the little buggers in summer to early fall.

Why would you be trapping crayfish if you dont even know the regs on them?

I build A LOT of crab/prawn traps at my work(in Nanaimo). A small prawn trap would probably work but I'm pretty sure that my boss designed a trap made specifically for crayfish. Send me an email if youd like to know more and I'll see what i can find out for ya.

quote:Originally posted by fatbass

Hey guys I have been hunting crayfish as a little boy and have had great fun catching them. However now I want to catch more by using a crayfish trap.

Do you guys know of any good crayfish traps located in BC or that can be shipped to canada.

How many crayfish can you catch on your licence and how much is it to upgrade that number.

Thanks, Marc

Howdy- I just decided to try crayfish trapping since I found the info in the fresh water fishing regulations for B.C. I found a little store advertising prawn traps( which I thought a little unusual so far inland.) He had them on sale for $49.00 but of course I missed it. He special ordered one for me for $60.00. it is about 30 inches across & about 16 inches deep. Seems pretty sturdy and if it works I would say well worth the $$$. Haven't had any luck but just caught a couple of fresh trout so now have fresh bait. Heads & guts are supposed to work. Tomorrow is the big day - hopefully. the store that sold us the trap is Wynndel Foods. His phone number is 250-866-5314. Depending where you are he may be able to help.

Irv

Thanks, Marc

Forgot to mention - Go to google - enter trapping crayfish & there are about 114,000 entries. the first 2 will probably tell you everything you need to know.

Irv

Thanks, Marc

The cowichan lake has hella crayfish and all we would do id use a shrimp trap load it with bait and drop the trap down in 10-20 ft of water and check it a few times twice in like 4 hrs at night only and we would have tonnes of crayfish for everyone around the camp fire for the night! Tasty lil critters they are!

CK

So you just drop your trap into the lake and leave it overnight with some bait?

I am looking for a lake in Region 8 that has crayfish so if anyone knows please post. Thanks

just remember fat bass ....we dont need cray fish all over where they are not found now. moving stuff around is what got us bass all over the Provence already . you can eat them, and you can use them where there is no bait ban in creeks, but not in lakes . you cant use them for bait in lakes!. be responsible when moving bait and water around as not to spread little passengers guys.

just remember fat bass ....we dont need cray fish all over where they are not found now. moving stuff around is what got us bass all over the Provence already . you can eat them, and you can use them where there is no bait ban in creeks, but not in lakes . you cant use them for bait in lakes!. be responsible when moving bait and water around as not to spread little passengers guys.

if you are still looking for crayfish traps , check out a store called Cowichan fly & Tackle on south shore road in lake cowichan. They will be getting a couple dozen traps late this week or early next.

Back