Transom Rebuild 228 grady

salmonkiller01

Well today I went to install a new transducer on my transom and it started to rain out the screw hole!!!!!!!!!!!!! Upon further inspection my transom seems to be filled with seasoil. The project begins. Started removing everything attached to my transom inside and out and will have lots of pics and documentation on this one. Looking for an engine hoist so I can get my motor and pod off.

Hey Salmonkiller where you at? I have a cherry picker

Thanks for the offer but I am in Campbell River, think I am going to build a tripod to hold the engine. Whatever they used for a bond between the hull and the pod is good stuff, as i was trying to remove a backing plate out of the outboard well, gellcoat came off too. Yikes!!! I have the pod to get off soon.

Water intrusion came from every screw holes on the transom, transduccers, trim tabs.... That survey really paid off, waste of money, no accountablity.

salmonkiller01,
Sorry to hear of your problems. I know what you mean about survey's. I was dealing on a GW a few years back and the surveryors report came back good, but I had asked the surveryor to include lots of pictures and based on the pictures I decided not to purchase the boat. What year is your boat?

Its a 1984 hull so its not that unexpected, but I am amazed how bad it is all over.
Today i cut out the back section of the inner liner and removed all my outboard rigging. Cutting wheel is now my best freind. I am definetly going to make some changes in the hull design. Close in the transom and and better placement of the scuppers so they are not in the water, although once all the rotten wet wood is out it should float higher.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 583
  • transom 1.jpg
    transom 1.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 540
don't feel bad, its a pretty common problem with Grady's. Although the good thing is you'll have a rock solid transom when you're done - take lots of pics to prove the work was done should you choose to sell.

I feel your pain my brother and I are rebuilding a 1989 22 seafarer that has some grady issues. We were lucky with the transom as it is soild, however there was still lots of glass work to be done. The type of trasom on your grady was more prone to water intrusion. The top edge of the original outboard motor well was not sealed exceptionally well from the factory. Now is your chance to extend the transom all the way across. Make good friends with your angle grinder and local fiberglass shop your going to be going through some material. Good luck when your done you will have somthing solid and a custom grady.

Tons of pics and I am going to hit this hard, my work is 7 on 7 off so when I get back I am flying at it. Schedule so far is good because I found the rot yesterday at noon!!!! The stringers are solid thankfully, I had checked both by drilling in front to back and REFILLING the holes with resin and matt. Now I am thinking I may upgrade to a verado if I can flog my opti for a descent price.

This is no Grady issue, this is an all boat issue with glass over wood. After 30 years this is what you will have to expect in probably 80% of all boats. I find it hard to believe that the stringers would be that much better unless they have been rebuilt since oringinal.

This is no Grady issue, this is an all boat issue with glass over wood. After 30 years this is what you will have to expect in probably 80% of all boats. I find it hard to believe that the stringers would be that much better unless they have been rebuilt since oringinal.

Who knows if they were rebuilt but clean wood came out when test drilling. Atleast I will have it fixed before summer fishing season!!!!! Hopefully with a V-Rod on the butt end.

well I got home last nite, and started with the engine pod removal today. All went well with the engine removal but the pod. 5200 really works!!!!! Used wood wedges and pried and cut and wedged but after 3 hours the pod hit the floor. Thank god! Gonna takes some pics in the a.m before I get the transom out.

good to hear you got the pod off...read lots of threads about that 5200 product....sounds like it bonds quite well. Good luck, with your project

Transom is out, and almost ready for new wood, just a bit more clean-up. Thought you would get a kick out of my old transom so heres a picture. Came out in flakes!!!!

Attachments

• Transom.jpg
    Transom.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 330
Transom is ready for new wood, what a pain grinding!!! My neighbors may talk to me next week once all the dust clears. Picked up my 2 sheets of 1" marine plywood, Yikes at $130 a sheet but it is really nice plywood.

Attachments

• photo (1024x768).jpg
    photo (1024x768).jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 305
Many Many thanks Ed for the Leg it fits like a Glove! I think it was a Stroke of luck to find that Leg close by. Hope your rebuild goes well and your back in the Water on time. Hope to see you out there!

Thanks again,

Cliff

Transom is ready for new wood, what a pain grinding!!! My neighbors may talk to me next week once all the dust clears. Picked up my 2 sheets of 1" marine plywood, Yikes at $130 a sheet but it is really nice plywood.

We are neck and neck on this project! I just picked up one sheet of 4x10 (to be split in half as I have to replace a section that is just over 4.5' long, so rather than buying 8' with alot of scrap, I grabbed a 10' to split into a 4x5'. Mine was originally constructed of 2 pieces of 1/2" ply, laminated together, and a 3rd piece of 3/4" ply over top of that giving a total of a tru 1.5" thick transom.

I was going to go through windsor plywood, which would have cost close to the same as your sheet, but a friend refferred me to SMITH PLYWOODS out here in langley (not sure where you are) but REAL pros when it comes to plywood. He directed me to some sheets he gets from a mill in olympia WA, they use water proof glues, knotless fir, and have an extra ply than standard marine grade, the only difference is it is not stamped marine, therefor the price is about half, if not less. Was very impressed with there knowledge of product. They knew exactly where the wood came from, how it was manufactured, and in the end directed me to wood that will likley last longer than Windsors marine grade, for a fraction of the cost. They even have stock of the higher quality british spec BS1088 (mahogony plywood) for as well a fraction of the cost.

Great thread, enjoying your progress..can't believe the confition of your old transom!

-FB-

Many Many thanks Ed for the Leg it fits like a Glove! I think it was a Stroke of luck to find that Leg close by. Hope your rebuild goes well and your back in the Water on time. Hope to see you out there!

Thanks again,

Cliff

Thats great cliff, great meeting you and I am really happy I could sell it to a member here. Will definetly be on the water soon!!!!

Back on track again, transon and stringers glassed in today as we had a break in the weather. Can't beleive how fast it goes, 3 layers of biaxial cloth across the transom and 5 layers stagered tying the transom to stringers and hull. Some clean-up tomorrow and I can start working on the outside of the transom. Pics to come.

Thank Mighty Sylvan, but I really wish I did not have to start it!

Heres a pic of the 1 inch marine plywood core, mohogany core.
Another pic of the transom in the boat getting ready for glassing in, and no more open transom!!!!

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 252
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 279
Last edited by a moderator:
Back