Transducer spray

Catch 22

I installed a Lowrance 5 and transducer/ transducer bracket in the location recommended from the instructions. The depth sounder works well but I am getting a lot of spray all over the back half of the boat. Any recommendations to stop the spray?f

Tends to happen with some smaller boats without much draft when they are on plane. Some have made a small spay shield out of stainless. Don't know how they attach it but the old tile trick for shower stalls, -- a small dab from a hot glue gun to hold it while a bead of silicon sets up might work. Or perhaps they attach it to the existing mounting screws. No extra drill holes to potentially rot your transom.
One of my buddies has one on his boat.

Last edited:
Mine does that as well. I haven't found the spray to be a problem, but I've wondered about the amount of force the transducer is subjected to. It was installed probably 10 years ago so I guess must not be a problem . What do you mean by "the back half of the boat"? Is it somehow coming over the transom?

You can do a nice looking job of a shield, with polished SS. If your transducer is working well I would rather do that than going down the road of changing position.

If you want the transom mount transducer to work on plane it has to be in the water, below the hull surface and making spray unless you have a deep Vee hull that has enough water covered Vee on plane to keep the transducer above the hull bottom as Rockfish said.

Either build or buy a spray guard to prevent all that spraying water or get a second transducer that you can shoot thru the hull. That way you can move the transom mount transducer (with temperature and side scan) higher up so it's only in the water when not on plane. I think you get better readings from a shoot through on plane too..

79 jimmy
how does it read when your running as its very close to the strake which is not recommended.

i have a buddie who's tin boat loses bottom as soon as hes on plain with his dragon fly

Before I made it I usually lost bottom soon after getting on step, now very rarely unless I'm going too fast in choppy water. I made it so the brackets actually extended the chine and follow the exact shape of the hull so its in as "clean" water as I could get.

Mine does that as well. I haven't found the spray to be a problem, but I've wondered about the amount of force the transducer is subjected to. It was installed probably 10 years ago so I guess must not be a problem . What do you mean by "the back half of the boat"? Is it somehow coming over the transom?
Yes, it is coming over the transom and is like a light mist on the back half of the boat. It's like a shower back there!

I had the same problem with the same unit, and was considering a guard, but soneone told me the problem was primarily the gap in the bracket, and suggested a good amount of duct tape wrapped around the bracket to eliminate the gap. Low and behold, it worked.

I had the same problem with the same unit, and was considering a guard, but soneone told me the problem was primarily the gap in the bracket, and suggested a good amount of duct tape wrapped around the bracket to eliminate the gap. Low and behold, it worked.
Ok.. I have that gap there.. do you have the metal bracket that attaches to the transom and the transducer that then attaches to the metal bracket?

Same deal for me. I wrapped the gap with electricians tape, problem solved.

Yes same here filled the gap with marine silicone. Problem solved! Mine never sprayed in the boat, but used to shot a big rooster tail off the back.

Back