Trailer rebuild thread.

Sculpin

Well the time has come to do a major on the trailer. I thought I would document it like all my other projects lol. No there is still no "sculpinsprojectsandfriends" website:D. FWIW here we go.....

I made up some screw jacks for the rear of the boat that weren't enough to lift it by themselves and had to use a bottle jack to help out.

IMG_2212.jpg

I welded a lifting lug to the shed frame and used a chain come along to lift up the bow.

IMG_2211.jpg

I then was able to pull out the trailer with no fuss no muss. I put some blocking under the bow as to not have it under static load.

IMG_2210.jpg

I'm going to replace the wooden bunks with some aluminum channel with UHMW strips countersunk onto them. I want to replace alot of the bolts as well. The brakes are the big one and need checking and possibly redoing.

I'll keep posting up pic's of the progress over the next couple of days. I hope to work on it all weekend.

Cheers,
John

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice project Sculpin, will be easy to do with the trailer with no boat atop of it
I did not have the luxury of having the bow hoist, your giving me boat shed envy

As I remember my back was soar for a week, but when I was finished she looked grate
I blocked the boat up with 4x4 blocking that i nailed together

Attachments

• laseng 1 053.jpg
    laseng 1 053.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 226
  • laseng 1 055.jpg
    laseng 1 055.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 212
  • laseng 1 058.jpg
    laseng 1 058.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 217
  • laseng 1 059.jpg
    laseng 1 059.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 242
Nice project Sculpin, will be easy to do with the trailer with no boat atop of it
I did not have the luxury of having the bow hoist, your giving me boat shed envy

You gotta love metal eh kanuckle head! I knew you wouldl understand:).

As I remember my back was soar for a week, but when I was finished she looked grate
I blocked the boat up with 4x4 blocking that i nailed together

That's exactly what I want to do with the black UHMW material. I will countersink it just like that onto 6" aluminum channel for the bunks.

That's exactly what I want to do with the black UHMW material. I will countersink it just like that onto 6" aluminum channel for the bunks.

May I suggest not fastening the UHMW to the channel with SS screws, I'd consider closed head Alum pop rivets. due to the Alum reacts with SS

Kh

Well she's in pretty bad shape. I have done some minor stuff to her over the years like brake pad's, caliper seals, tires, etc. and has lasted me since I have owned it. Time and salt has taken it's toll and it is time to rebuild her.

IMG_2213.jpg

IMG_2216.jpg

Got her down to the spindles now.

IMG_2222.jpg

Guess what I'm doing all weekend!

Do you have any rust on the C shaped bolts that hold the axle? That's what I need to repair/replace. Are they easy to find?

Do you have any rust on the C shaped bolts that hold the axle? That's what I need to repair/replace. Are they easy to find?

I am replacing almost every bolt on the trailer. This is going to be a major so all I have is minor maintenance for a few years. The frame, winch, hitch etc. is all in great shape. I am tired of chasing things every year. You know you do a little this year then next year it's another thing etc. I said screw it and I'm rebuilding her completely.

I picked up all my U-bolts at Parker Marine here in Nananimo. Their pricing wasn't bad at all and they have a lot in stock. I picked up all my other hardware at Raider Hansen (used to be called Cascade Distributors) here in Nanaimo as well.

For you guys in Vancouver or able to visit-Mike at Roadrunner is extremly easy to work with and reasonable. I just got all the pieces for rear bunks to replace 24 rollers under the rear of my Orca-too easy-he just wandered around the shop. What is this UHMW material you guys are laying on instead of carpet?

Make sure you guys use your safety chains. I saw a boat from Washington shoot right off the trailer when his winch rope broke backing down the ramp a couple of years ago............ouch!!

UHMW

Ultra High Molecular Weight (UHMW) Polyethylene is often referred to as the world’s toughest polymer. UHMW is a linear high density polyethylene which has high abrasion resistance as well as high impact strength. UHMW is also chemical resistant and has a low coefficient of friction which make it highly effective in a variety of applications. UHMW can be crosslinked, reprocessed, color-matched, machined and fabricated to meet most customer requirements.

Features:
Meets USDA,FDA, 3-A Dairy guidelines
UHMW is 6 times more abrasion resistant than steel.
No cold embrittlement, works from -155ºF to + 200ºF.
Impervious to marine borers and barnacle resistant.
Custom colors available

Thanks Casper- Would I be likely to find it at Industrial Plastics in Courtenay or where might you suggest. I have to go down Island next week. Thanks

Not sure if they carry it, but that would be the first place I would check.

Industrial plastics had a great selection last year...big sheets of a few different thicknesses

How does the UHMW compare with carpeting for scratching/hull wear? I am considering using it on my glass boat.

FishWish

Thanks Casper- Would I be likely to find it at Industrial Plastics in Courtenay or where might you suggest. I have to go down Island next week. Thanks

Phone Redwood Plastics in Vancouver

http://www.redwoodplastics.com/contact-us/vancouver-branch/

Way cheaper and you could probably get it shipped on the bus depending on how long of pieces your thinking about. They will cut to size which is what I did. I went with 1/2" thick.

The black stuff has build in UV inhibitors as well.

Make sure you guys use your safety chains. I saw a boat from Washington shoot right off the trailer when his winch rope broke backing down the ramp a couple of years ago............ouch!!

Good point for sure. The stuff is tough and slick:eek:.

Back