Trailer question

ryanb

Right now I believe my tandem axle trailer has too much weight on the front axle based on the spring deflection. I'm guessing this is because the tongue is a bit too low on my truck when attached to the ball. I'm assuming I could just get a straight or riser ball mount and it would even out. Am I correct in this assumption? Tongue weight is a perfect 10% of the total weight.

It's my first tandem axle boat trailer,so I am a little unsure about what adjustments will affect what.

Pull your trailer and truck on to a level surface and disconnect trailer from truck and level your trailer. Once its level that is the height that your ball should be, even a little higher to compensate for tongue weight. Trailer should always run level when towing so you get even wear on all 4 tires and axles.

Whenever you have a double/tandem axle trailer it should always be level to the earth when towing. You will have better tire wear and bearing wear and should tow safer. A temp gun is a good thing to carry with you too. They are cheap and easy the use, whenever I stop I do a quick check of tires and hubs. Better to know you are about to have a bearing or tire failure before it happens. All temps should be even.

Whenever you have a double/tandem axle trailer it should always be level to the earth when towing. You will have better tire wear and bearing wear and should tow safer. A temp gun is a good thing to carry with you too. They are cheap and easy the use, whenever I stop I do a quick check of tires and hubs. Better to know you are about to have a bearing or tire failure before it happens. All temps should be even.
X2 on the infrared thermometer. Saved my butt once on a trip to Alberni.

Back