Totally confused...

Clipper

OK, I'm looking for a new boat. Something in the 21-24' range that will be "comfortable" for the Missus and still fishable, if you know what I mean.

So far I've decided that I need a diesel I/O, a 4 stk O/B (Suzuki or Yamaha), a bracket, an Optimax, an ETEC, a Trophy, a Striper, an Explorer (add any number of boats here) etc., etc., etc.

I'm seriously overwhelmed.

What I want is a decent, reliable package that will keep the old girl happy on long days and the occasional overnighter while allowing me to get in some semi-serious fishing.

I'm looking at the Campion Explorer 622 Sedan Bracket (http://www.campionboats.com/explorer/622/SDBRA/specs.php) as an example of what I want in the new boat but have not even got close to making a decision, as you can see by the above.

Anyway, sorry to ramble on but I appreciate the experience of the guys on this forum and welcome any input/opinions.

campions have some serious quality issues, especially in the gelcoat.. theres MANY cases where it starts blistering off just months after delivery... i would NOT go there.

Trophy's have a bad rep for them from when bayliner was making them, but 4 or 5 years ago now they changed hands or went independant or something like that, and are apparently now a very nice boat, but still bearing the rep bayliner made for them - i think a serious underdog today.

Stripers - i would say in the same category as the trophys - ABOVE campion - nice all around boat, and the price is right, quite popular for the weekend fisherman.

Pods (brackets) are nice because they give you a fully closed transom so no water can come in the back, and the transom usually has storage and fish boxes there. For just a weekend fisherman, you dont need a pod, but if you could buy the exact same boat with or with out the pod, i would go pod. This also though, adds a couple feet to your length.

Engines: Four strokes will give you a better re-sale value (or etec), but heavy. The new 2-strokes are neck and neck with 4 strokes and often better mileage to boot, but at idle and low rpms 4-strokes are much nicer to hear. i would stay away from optimax, for 2-stroke i would go ETECS, 4 strokes - you cant go wrong, yamaha is the most popluar as they have the best dealer service around here, but every engine on todays market is pretty bullet proof, i wouldnt over look hondas or suzukis as well.

if i were you, (if your thinking about buying new) i would instead bring up a much higher quality boat from out east, 1 or 2 years old. Grady White, Glacier Bay, World Cat, etc. They may be a year old, but if properly surveyed to make sure there nothing hiding they will outlast anything out here, and look alot nicer for many years than brand new campions especially - but a totally different class

hope this helps! let me know if you want anymore help :)

Maybe a little costly to run.... but it has a "sold" sign on it for $135,000. New price was over $400,000
http://www2.yachtworld.com/core/lis...url=texassportfishing&&ywo=texassportfishing&

[:0]

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

quote:i would stay away from optimax

Why!!!!!!!! You always seem to knock an opti yes I heard you have had bad service by them but so what!!!!!!

So has everyone from yamaha to suzuki I know of a guy that has nothing but total grief over his yammy and there not helping him at all.
suzikis we had on the lodge boats after 3 seasons they were all taken off complete crap if you ask me 12 engines and only 5 ran good rest were bad!!!!! but I wouldnt flattly say "DONT BUY ONE" there is great years on all these engines and bad years it comes down to personl preferance just like a ford or chevy (dont get me going on that one )

I have had my opti with no problems at all along with "most" of the victoria whale watching fleet some of them are nearing 2000 hours on them so they cant be all that bad one thing that I really like is the power it makes my boat JUMP out of the water if i hit it and it runs great 4 years and still going strong and I know many more to come.

wolf

If buying new I would spend a bit more and go for the 23 Hourston with a pod over the Campion. More room, heavier layup, all around better quality for longer life and better resale.

quote:Originally posted by wolf

quote:i would stay away from optimax

yes I heard you have had bad service by them but so what!!!!!!

coming from a charter guy, SO WHAT?! if someone has had bad service by them?? your kidding right...

Looked at a few boats today and I'm starting to get an idea what a decent rig is gonna cost me. I think this will be a long process but I've got all the time in the world. Thanks for the input.

Just my five cents....
Have you thought of Hourstons or double eagles?
They are both great boats that are proven on our big waters.
I am on my second Hourston now and have no complaints. I have gone and had my 20ft'r podded. What a differance it made to the interior of my old boat.
Again , only my five cents.

quote:Originally posted by fishnphil

Have you thought of Hourstons or double eagles?

I've been looking at the Double Eagle but never thought of Hourston. I give them a check, fer sure. Thanks. After pricing out some new rigs I may have to adjust my expectations and look at some 'newer' used boats.

what sort of range are you looking to spend, high teens/mid twenties?
you can get a what would be local priced 35000$ boat for highteens out of the states, get it surveyed for a couple hundred, shipping is 3000$ from flroida, get it to BC for mid twenties.

Nebarb I was refering to bad service by ALL the manufactures thats all!!!!!!! didnt mean anything by that ...
like I said Ive had nothing but good by the motor I have run but im quite fussy when it comes to keeping things running in tip top shape always. be it boat motor or my truck,quad,chainsaws,gennys etc.

wolf

quote:Originally posted by nedarb2

you can get a what would be local priced 35000$ boat for highteens out of the states, get it surveyed for a couple hundred, shipping is 3000$ from flroida, get it to BC for mid twenties.

I'm pretty flexible on price right now and from what I've seen so far figure a suitable boat here will be $30-40K. I've seen some good prices down south but am pretty leery of buying a boat long distance. We'll see about that.

Another question (you'll get sick of them, I'm sure): I've seen lots of boats listed that I would consider underpowered. A 225/250hp o/b rating with a 150hp mounted, for example. A very common configuration.

I've always believed that you should get as close to max rating as you can manage, with at least 80% of max. Opinions?

quote:Originally posted by Clipper

quote:Originally posted by nedarb2

I'm pretty flexible on price right now and from what I've seen so far figure a suitable boat here will be $30-40K. I've seen some good prices down south but am pretty leery of buying a boat long distance. We'll see about that.

Another question (you'll get sick of them, I'm sure): I've seen lots of boats listed that I would consider underpowered. A 225/250hp o/b rating with a 150hp mounted, for example. A very common configuration.

I've always believed that you should get as close to max rating as you can manage, with at least 80% of max. Opinions?

agreed, the worst thing you do to a boat is under power it.

Back