Tofino - Spring / Summer 2014 reports

Good luck this weekend John. It's the annual Legion derby so i'll have my game face on. My man and i want our title back that eluded us last year. New secret weapon gonna be unleashed :)

I didn't know about the loss last year buddy :(. You can't win it every year :). Maybe Robby was right........your half the man you used to be :p;).

Joking man. I hope you giver your best and come out on top again :cool:. Go Pioneer's go........

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't know about the loss last year buddy :(. You can't win it every year :). Maybe Robby was right........your half the man you used to be :p;).
Yeah you're right buddy. Can't win every year so i hopefully it's our turn again ;)

White meat hunting tomorrow :)

Fished Weds evening, excellent at Clifford. Was windy outside, and clifford was flat and warm and full of Coho and Springs. A beautiful evening on the water.
Thursday afternoon - okay at clifford. Hootchies and bait.
Friday morning with a crew of newbies - 7 fish played, 1 landed in 3 1/2 hours at Raphael, not very good at all. Most hits were on strip in the old strip teasers which was kind of neat. Seemed like Friday was a scratchy day for most.
Today, started at Portland a bit later than usual, and then moved a bit. EXCELLENT. First spring 29lbs (biggest for the day) shortly after getting rods in, constant action, then finished up with a 36lb Hali for our limits; all springs in 20s with smaller released; 2 broken off. Got a bonus Ling while looking for Hali. Biggest fish on hootchies, except for the 2 we broke off maybe that were on lighter leaders with Anchovy.
My son was a bit bummed he was 1 lb short of a tyee, and that he dropped one in the water unloading the boat, the first time he's done that and he was bummed. But I've done that before a time or two as well.

Hi
Never fished out of Tofino but been running up to Long Beach (and occasionally the Starfish) over the last few years out of Ukee. Thinking about going to Tofino this weekend for a change. In regards to Portland Point, how far off shore are most fishing and over what depth of water.

thanks

On my way over too. Anything new?

This was the catch from a local charter boat yesterday. Like i said.....awesome

Attachments

• 10556447_795974203756456_4659183679197930854_n.jpg
    10556447_795974203756456_4659183679197930854_n.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 383
Inshore is closed for springs I think.

Did well for springs today at kinda near alien head, but heard didn't have to go that far after we got back. Biggest was 25 today.
Hit fish at every depth. Not on fire. Took 2 hours to find first fish then it was solid for about an hour then another hour + of nothing then a flurry to finish off.

First time I can remember not hooking into a Coho. Didn't see one on the water and didn't see anyone cleaning any at the dock either.

There's fish from Portland Pt all the way out past the Alien Head. About a 10 mile swath of hungry Chinooks with schools of Cohos mixed in as well. Find some bait and fish around it

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 875
What a different 3 days.

Friday did well for springs, but no Coho. Water was beautifully flat.

Saturday couldn't believe how many Coho there were, including a lot of clipped Coho, about 1 out of 3 was clipped. Was having double headers of clipped Coho, a little unusual for me out there. A few good springs as well. Still haven't had a Tyee this year. A little roll-i-er, but not bad.

Today the weather had turned. Only went out briefly in the morning, was cold for the first time this year I can remember, and and lumpy.
Was looking for Hali but only found a couple of lingcod, a small spring, and a quill back.

Normally i'm not big on honking my own horn but being appreciated is gratifying

“Premium Fishing with a Hugely Skilled Captain”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 23 August 2014 NEW

My wife and I fish several times all over the world each year. Shawn is a superb guide and host. I rank him among the top 3 guides we have ever had, and I would conservatively guess we have had 60 different charter captains on many bodies of water. Shawn is a pleasure to fish with, extremely knowledgeable about fishing in these waters and attentive to every need of his clients.

Anyone wishing to catch fish in the best possible of circumstances should book a trip with Osprey Charters.
Visited August 2014

Frickin canuck fans will do anything for a headline :)

Normally i'm not big on honking my own horn but being appreciated is gratifying

“Premium Fishing with a Hugely Skilled Captain”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 23 August 2014 NEW

My wife and I fish several times all over the world each year. Shawn is a superb guide and host. I rank him among the top 3 guides we have ever had, and I would conservatively guess we have had 60 different charter captains on many bodies of water. Shawn is a pleasure to fish with, extremely knowledgeable about fishing in these waters and attentive to every need of his clients.

Anyone wishing to catch fish in the best possible of circumstances should book a trip with Osprey Charters.
Visited August 2014

Planning a kayak trip to the Clayoquot sound next week and wondering if someone could post a report regarding waters at or inside the surfline. are the coho back in numbers? is B-S passage holding bait? Also, where is Portland Point? I have a sense that its unreachable by kayak.
Thanks in advance.

Figured i'd keep this thread alive for a bit longer before i pack it in for the season.

The Chinooks have passed us by now, a few cohos in the usual inside areas but not as many as last year for sure.

Still good bottomfishing and the 2 Halibut a day regulation has created some interest plus the great weather and calm seas has sure helped.

Attachments

• sept 13.jpg
    sept 13.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 321
Back