To pod or not to pod

Jimmy

I have watched several project boats being done on this forum. They have got me thinking if I ever found an older boat that was worth re-powering it might be worth re-powering and possibly with a pod and an outboard or two.

I looked into it an asked a local marine refit yard. I was looking at a 24ft double eagle flybridge that I felt was worth re powering with outboards and this would include a pod. I was told if the boat had an I/O in it the transom would not have the strength to pod it and hang an outboard of the back. Boats built to hold an I/O do not have the transom strength that boats built for outboards have.

Is this correct? If so are guy's strengthening the transoms of I/O boats before they attach a pod and hang an outboard of the back?

I look forward to hearing the responses from this group.

Last edited by a moderator:
The smart ones are reinforcing the transom, tabbing it into the hull and even adding support braces. But ya a lot of guys don't even cover the hold and just slap a pod to the transom too.

IMO when dealing with boats, good enough is rarely good enough in the long run.

I have a 21 K & C in the midst of refit. The transom was rebuilt. Pod and 225 outboard mounted.
After much investigation I found that some have used dog leg braces, many more claim it is not necessary to strengthen the transom.
Most pod projects I have seen are inboards to start out and have the pod mounted without reinforcement.
There are Pod manufacturers / installers out there, I would seek their advice.

Can't see how it makes much sense to pod a hull built for an outboard. I/O hulls have a nice straight transom whereas the splash well on an OB hull is a problem, either you spend more money/time to remove it, or you leave it unchanged with wasted space. It will be a lot simpler to modify/repair the transom on the I/O hull, the pod will spread thrust over a much greater area than the baseplate of a transom mount OB.

If the pod goes right to the edges of the transom, the weight gets put on the sides of the hull and no reinforcement is needed. If the pod is a little guy in the middle of the transom, start laminating. That's why most guys get a pod where the grid goes to the outer edges of the hull. I have podded 2 boats myself. No problems at all.

The transom need re-enforcing. On my 24ft SeaRay we used sheets of 5052 AL inside/outside of transom with a wood stringer inside the transom.

Bracket was made by Armstrong. Went from 350 chev to Yamaha 250. Top end went from 40 to 50- rode much flatter & when sitting in the water the stern was 3" more out of the water. It was in-F'ing credible!! FYI, Armstrong bracket had planing surface - not all brackets/pods do.

Back