Thoughts on a 2009 Double Eagle

Hey guys
New here to the forum.
Whatch'a think about a Double Eagle? 17 foot model. No cuddy but I hear there is more room in fishing area. It is a 2009 model I am looking at from a friends friend.
He wants $22,000 for it. New it costs 30g's. Not looking so much for feedback on if it is a good deal or not, just want experienced replys as to whether it is a strong candidate for fishing say, Bamfield, Sooke waters, how it stands up to inclement weather. It comes with just a 90 hp. He said it is all the hp you need for this. What do you guys think out there? Appreciate the feedback!

I owned a 17 foot Double Eagle with a 115 Yami...very good boat all round. Solid, handles rough water well and good resale.

You can get into a half decent aluminum for that price range out of the States for sure. It will have a better seating arrangement and will have zero rot problems.

I own a 17.5 double eagle with 90 horse.
Great boat. One of the best hulls out there in it's size.
90 is plenty.

Tips

Great boat if any thing I would say a little under powered, maybe a 115-130 would be better. They are good boats and are a great starter boat, you will be able to fish anywhere you wish in that boat

Sculpins just a tin man. That boat will last 40+ years if taken care of properly. I have the same hull and it's great for everything except regular offshore fishing. 17 ft however is pretty cramped after fishing in a larger platform.

Fair enough Sculpin. So, it is best then in your experience to stay clear from the older models? I see some 91's or 94 year model Double Eagles asking $12=19,000 dollars. They have old engines all that are two stroke. My thoughts are, old technology, heavy hours, the price you pay is for the boat alone because if the engine goes or needs replacing, it costs $10-15 gs for a 90 or 115 hP engine. So I think at $22 gs for a 2009 it is a good buy in relation. Does that seem correct in your opinion?

Fair enough Sculpin. So, it is best then in your experience to stay clear from the older models? I see some 91's or 94 year model Double Eagles asking $12=19,000 dollars. They have old engines all that are two stroke. My thoughts are, old technology, heavy hours, the price you pay is for the boat alone because if the engine goes or needs replacing, it costs $10-15 gs for a 90 or 115 hP engine. So I think at $22 gs for a 2009 it is a good buy in relation. Does that seem correct in your opinion?

In any older fiberglass boat it is good to get a survey done by someone who is qualified to conclude the condition of the vessel. I am not going to give out finacial advice (especially on boats lol). Even on that 2009 it wouldn't hurt (if your serious about it) to spend the couple hundred bucks to have it looked over. JMO.

Any boat worth buying should have a survey done before hand regardless of material it is made of.

Yes, I like aluminum for the strength, recyclability, and low maintenance factors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey I didn' think you were even ranting. You obviously have experience. I am grateful people such as yourself even give a newbie to this sport the time of day. Your thoughts as well as those out there with more experience than I are always gratefully welcomed!
I will take your advice and get the boat looked at by Parker Marine here in Nanaimo. They seem like good guys. Thank you!

The Double Eagle in the 17-18' range is an excellent hull for salt water fishing in BC waters....it was purpose designed for that....the price is reasonable if that configuration mentioed is what you want. Prefer glass over aluminum because of its rough water handling capabilities - although it weighs more. My thoughts on the package you mentioned are:
1. the motor is adequate for fishing but you may find it takes a while to get out of the hole if you are carrying lots of passengers, fuel etc..you may find your cruise speed at 3500rpm to be fairly low (around 20mph or less)....on the other hand it will sip fuel if you don't push it too hard. Suggest you check boat tags to see what max hp is. (I prefer maxing out and not working the motor as hard).
2. Would prefer a cuddy for dry storage purposes - also give the ladies somewhere to use the potty and for small kids to nap.
3. I hate fishing in the open in the rain so would also question what covers and canvas comes with the boat.
4. Fit and finish is only fair compared to some boats but for fishing purposes it doesn't need to be concourse.
5, A trailer should be included in the deal.

Hope this helps.

In any older fiberglass boat it is good to get a survey done by someone who is qualified to conclude the condition of the vessel. I am not going to give out finacial advice (especially on boats lol). Even on that 2009 it wouldn't hurt (if your serious about it) to spend the couple hundred bucks to have it looked over. JMO.

Any boat worth buying should have a survey done before hand regardless of material it is made of.

Yes, I like aluminum for the strength, recyclability, and lack of maintenance factors. But that's just me and everyone else in the world. Did you know there are more aluminum boat's in the world than fiberglass? I didn't know this until about a few month's ago. Pretty cool eh? Green boats who would have thought.

Try looking up recycling fiberglass boats............ I have and they don't because it cost's too much. The hull's just sit in yard's. You can actually see the yard's on Google Earth down in Florida with the masses of boats.

Anyways sorry for the rant. I am more than just a metalhead.

I love my Double Eagle 16 - for now. Aluminum is best, and next for me. No maintenance and its durability can't be beat.

Im a Double Eagle Guy Ive had a 17 ft a 18.5ft and now a 20ft and let me tell you they were all sea worthy. I loved them. The 18.5 had a 150 and it was almost to much motor. The 20 ft with pod now has a 150 and it hums along nice. I only cruise at 20MPH anyways and it does that at 3600RPM. It max's out at 39MPH and that is uncomfortable fast. Dont need a whole lot more then 20 MPH in my opinion.

Double Eagle Has my Vote!

-Steve

I saw some neat aluminum chambered boats at a boat show in Nanaimo last year...anyone know if there are any manufacturers in Canada?

Hey guys thanks for all your experienced comments!
I feel more confident on this purchase. It is very hard to find an 18 foot cuddy as I have looked diligently. My friend came across this 17 foot (cuddy-less) and I think I should jump on it as these boats (newer models) just don't come up. I was told that the 17 footer actually has more fishing room versus the cuddy due to the cuddy space in the bow? Is this true?
Cheers!

Great boat, I have a 17 ft hardtop with a 90 Johnston. Fished Renfrew, Sooke, and surrounding areas with no problems. Fishes 2 comfortably, easy for one to launch and retrieve. Handles rough water pretty good. But I too have 2 ft itis and hope to go to a larger DE someday.

Your 16 ft double eagle; how is it in the chop and how is it for room in the back??

For a 16 foot boat it is excellent in chop courtesy of the well designed deep V hull. Same with the room in the back, for a 16, hard to beat it. More than most boats of its size. Broad beam gives lots of space.

hello Chero! How do you find the 17 footer with the 90 HP, is it enough kick? If I had say three adults with me would that be underpowered? Or do you find it "just right"? cheers!

Back