Thompson open

th_vomit2-1.gif

Those poor fish.......... their mouths look like pin cushions after a while

MoE governs the sport fishery, DFO the chum net fisheries that intercept them in the lower river. I agree, a fishery at current stock levels is shameful. A decade and a half ago it took nearly 3,000 fish to open the fishery, that was amended to 1200 and now they rationalize it's opening with fewer than 1000 animals. How low does the bar have to go before "sportsmen" stop pressuring government to allow the exploitation of this stock? Unfortunately seems to be human nature to reset the standard/lower the bar as we continue to degrade our environment. The water and habitat Thompson River steelhead depend on won't get the protection they deserve with the cuts to DFO's Habitat staff and program, wonder how long we'll have these amazing fish?

Might be good to have some anglers up there, to keep an eye on the poachers.

**** POOR Excuse to pin-cushion the remaining few IMHO.
Put a little jingle into MOE's Enforcement branch, and sick them on the Poachers - as they were specifically designed and mandated to do...

Nog

MoE governs the sport fishery, DFO the chum net fisheries that intercept them in the lower river. I agree, a fishery at current stock levels is shameful. A decade and a half ago it took nearly 3,000 fish to open the fishery, that was amended to 1200 and now they rationalize it's opening with fewer than 1000 animals. How low does the bar have to go before "sportsmen" stop pressuring government to allow the exploitation of this stock? Unfortunately seems to be human nature to reset the standard/lower the bar as we continue to degrade our environment. The water and habitat Thompson River steelhead depend on won't get the protection they deserve with the cuts to DFO's Habitat staff and program, wonder how long we'll have these amazing fish?
Wow! Couldnt agree more. Glad there are others who share my concern.

a fishery at current stock levels is shameful. A decade and a half ago it took nearly 3,000 fish to open the fishery, that was amended to 1200 and now they rationalize it's opening with fewer than 1000 animals.

Wrong. A decade and a half ago there were 1000 spawners and it opened. Get your facts straight. You might be surprised to see the fluctuation of spawners over the years since 1984. The lowest years have been when it was six to eight hundred fish and the fishery was closed.

Cue RLN.............

I'm confident of my facts. It's true MoE has opened this fishery many times when it hasn't hit their minimum escapement targets but, anomalous openings aside, the fact remains that in the early 90's the target for an open fishery was just shy of 3000, which was amended down to 1200 fish in the last decade and now the rationalize openings with less than 800 fish.

So, BGM, how many is too few?

Wrong. A decade and a half ago there were 1000 spawners and it opened. Get your facts straight. You might be surprised to see the fluctuation of spawners over the years since 1984. The lowest years have been when it was six to eight hundred fish and the fishery was closed.

Cue RLN.............
You need to get your facts straight. Lets see some walk to back up your talk.

It's obvious the MOE doesn't give a ****.

They are only giving in to the local businesses in Spence's Bridge that are clamoring for any business they can get

I'm confident of my facts. It's true MoE has opened this fishery many times when it hasn't hit their minimum escapement targets but, anomalous openings aside, the fact remains that in the early 90's the target for an open fishery was just shy of 3000, which was amended down to 1200 fish in the last decade and now the rationalize openings with less than 800 fish.

So, BGM, how many is too few?

I don't know, but escapement numbers or Albion test nets are not always indicative of the run size. I do agree with you however, this is a very special Steelhead, and more needs to be done to protect it. I'm just not convinced that a two or three month catch and release opening will have a significant impact on these fish. Most of the anglers heading there will brave the elements and respect the fishery for what it is. You won't see a lot of fair weather weekend warriors or meat hunters there, other than the poachers who have been picking off fish off all October with little formal enforcement by the powers that be.

What businesses, they are all closed!

Last i heard the Log Cabin and Shaw Springs were still open as well as the businesses in Lytton such as the Hotel and the Totem Motel where i used to always stay

Correct me if i was wrong

BTW, i'm with Dennis on most of this

Back