Thinking about getting a new to me boat boat.

ExFlyGuy

Been looking for the last couple months on all the used sites both locally and across the U.S. and there's not a lot of quality used boats out there but I think I have narrowed my choices down to 2 boats.

The hourston 23' sedan and the trophy 2359.

I picked these 2 boats because they are trailer able and because I fish year round. I also picked them because they offer the ability for my family to over night if we choose too.

I would like to here any and all feed back positive or negative from people who have used, operated, fished from and overnighted on these boats. (eg: the 2359 is underpowered with the stock 5 litre it comes with)

Talk to @dmurph i know he spends lots of time on his 2359 and overnights etc. I have overnights lots on my buds newer 2359 usually 3 of us most times lots of room and good layout. It is a 5.7 mpi with a bravo 3 duo prop so no lack of power and great fuel economy.

Last edited:
IMG_1155.JPG Earlier this year completed a total restoration on a Hourston 20 which when it came to me the customer needed new floors and stringers. I also have a 26 in my yard that I have to fix for a customer with the same deck, stringer and transom problems.
In my opinion the hourston is a great hull but the boat is put together with about the worst construction techniques possible. The decks are glassed together with what looks like model airplane roving....way way too light. Many transom areas are only painted, not sealed and this is what allows for rot.
The biggest problem with a hourston is that the decks are below sea level and they provided absolutely no means of water to make its way through the boat below decks to the aft bilge pumps.

But...... it's a great hull, just poor workmanship.

My dad and I sell used boats and we have a 2006 23 trophy if you are interested . Go to www.pearsonmarine.ca the inventory there is current to this wee.

I'm also wrapping up a total restoration on a 25 bertram. Now this is what I call a boat but that's a whole other forum thread. I could go on and on for days about how good these boats are. It will be ready in January and we have a second Bertram 25 to restore right after it. Here's a sneak peak

Not sure about the 2359 but have owned a couple of hourstons and the quality and seaworthiness are top notch the 23 is a fantastic fishing platform

Not sure about the 2359 but have owned a couple of hourstons and the quality and seaworthiness are top notch the 23 is a fantastic fishing platform
I agree with seaworthiness but not the quality . Don't take my word for it, I've never met a hourston owner that didn't have decks and stringers replaced or has had the decks and stringers replaced.

But..... that won't stop me from buying a hourston, it just means I know that I have work to do no matter what.

I am just finishing a reno on my 23ft Hourston and totally agree with Quinn. Another problem is the floor is not sealed on the bottom and will rot out. That said I would buy another one in a heart beat. Best ride of any boat I've been in. Pod and a outboard and you have the best fishing boat and overnighter there is IMO. Every year I do lots of overnighters and my only complaint is that it only sleeps 3, have done 4 but the forth is sleeping on the back deck. I trailer mine all over the Island and I wouldn't want any bigger boat to trailer. Any other questions feel free to Pm me.

Yes really happy with my 2359. My wife boy and I camp out on the boat up to 3 nights a week during the fishing season. My boy now 5 pretty much grew up on that boat. It has a great layout for fishing and overnights. 3 adults sleep in the cuddy no problem and the dinette drops to a bed also but only accommodates a small person. I find 3 people plus a child no problem for space, 4 adults is max I find for fishing again 3 is best. The cuddy is quite spacious. The dinette really only fits 2 adults comfortable for eating. The visibility from the pilot house is awesome can see the rods easy. Lots of other boats have poor viz of the back deck from the cuddy. We don't use the head and go in a bucket as its located under the bedding in the cuddy. I tore the fridge out and use the space for tackle storage. I run a cooler on the dog house and one on the swimgrid. The boat has a solid ride but get as much power as possible I have a 350 mpi and love it. Wish I had a stronger drive though, been through a few alpha 1 gen . B3 would be better. Overall I have been on lots of boats a dream of lots of others but I find the layout of mine the best

Mine is a similar set-up as dmurph, but I think the Hourston has a bigger cabin. We sleep three big guys in mine. I always sleep in the cabin on the drop down table and make my buddies spoon each other in the cuddy. Lol. I'm 6'2" and have tons of room on the bunk. Then I'm with the wife we sleep in the Cuddy and I'm fine in there also. I pulled the stove out to have more counter space. We just use a Colman Stove or the Barbque. Sink is still there as well as the ice box. We also use 2 coolers the same setup. I also agree get lots of power, I'm going with a outboard setup for space but if I was going to stay with the inboard I was going to put in a stroker motor and a Volvo Duoprop leg. Only because the Houston is a heavy boat, but that is also why they ride nice. Not sure on the weight of the Bayliner. The Bayliner does sit higher and has the bigger windows. Not sure but I believe the Gunnels on the Hourston are a lot taller and the Hourston would sit lower in the water. Something to consider in windy and rough weather.

Thanks everyone.

The bayliner is 5300 dry and the hourston is 6000 lbs, I am leaning towards the bayliner because it has a coffin bead under the dinette and I have 2 boys under 5.

I guess my next step is to find a couple of these boats and actually get inside them to see which one I like better.

That 26 hourston that is for sale in buy and sell forum is a beauty and would be well worth a look for the price it's at if your interested in a boat like that!!

That hourston looks like a very nice set up. Gunnels would be higher than the trophy for sure. One really nice thing about the hourston is the access to the motor, looks very easy to get at and therefore easy to work on.

Looked again, that hourston is a sweet looking set up. That sun roof would make the cabin nice and bright. Boat looks pretty set up and just had a 10k price drop. I would think this would sell quick

The Hourstons motor is very easy to work on as there is lots of room back there. I don't know what your budget is Exflyguy but that boat of Quinn's is a beauty and as he is in the middle of the build I'm sure he would finish it to your specs and the workmanship looks top notch.

That hourston 26 is very nice but the 23 is as big as I would go. Also the boat will need to have a Alaska back.

Quinn's boat is very nice but I'm sure it is well out of my price range... I'm thinking 30k will be the very top end of my budget and I will need to sell my current boat and camper before I will be able to move on any new boat. (The idea of being left without a boat for a whole season doesn't sit that well with me)

I am just starting to think about getting a new boat and would like to do as much research as possible and even physically look at and fish from each boat before I make a final decision. I have seen a few 2359 down in the states on the east coast within my budget and a few hourstons have sold in the last few years on the island well under.

That looked like a nice boat. Ex you are more than welcome to check mine out although there is not much to see at the moment( just about to install the floor over the Xmas holidays and the pod in the new year).

Thanks Casper,

I will keep it in mind in the new year. Your down in Vic? I'm in nanaimo but from time to time get down there.

That is a nice boat but it doesn't have as nice of lines as the 23'

Plus after exchange and tax its a $45000 boat.

Back